    image restore from my backup.
    Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
    could have done?

    VE2, Oct 18, 2009

  2. Virtually impossible to know without more information.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 18, 2009

  3. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
    the task manager to get a clue...

    VE2, Oct 18, 2009
  4. Some things to try if this happens again:

    hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see if
    it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe mode,
    and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the startup
    process and try booting to see if that solves it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 18, 2009
  5. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
    days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
    after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
    have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
    do a simple restore point.

    VE2, Oct 18, 2009
  6. VE2

    mikeyhsd Guest

    did you by chance notice if all your devices properly propagated when booting.

    sometimes a hard drive fails to spin up in time.

    mikeyhsd, Oct 19, 2009
  7. VE2

    John Barnes Guest

    You can do a restore point from the install DVD

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2009
  8. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Good to know! The system repair disk had a restore point
    option but in my case the restore failed.

    VE2, Oct 19, 2009
  9. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Everything seemed normal. The PC is multibooted with Windows XP
    and it worked fine so I don't suspect hardware.

    What I do suspect now however was the last program I installed and was
    running before shutdown - picophone, a 32bit voip app. Perhaps because
    it deals with IP addresses and port numbers (maybe some assembly language?)
    it is not 64bit compatible.

    VE2, Oct 19, 2009