Windows 7 Freeze when network cable connected

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Clay, May 18, 2010.

  1. Clay

    Clay Guest

    I have been running Windows 7 64 bit enterprise on my Dell Optiplex 755 for
    two months now and it has been rock solid stable. However earlier this week
    I came in the office and attempted log in and the system was frozen. I have
    discovered that if I boot the system without the network card plugged in -
    it works just fine. I can log in and work normally (without network
    connectivity). But as soon as I plug the network card in the system
    freezes. I have installed two additional network cards (one intel and one
    realtek) but had the same results. As soon as I plug the network cable in
    either card the system freezes. I did not find anything in the event logs
    that gave me any clues as to why this was happening. I can log into safe
    mode with networking and the system does not freeze. As consistent as this
    problem is I thought this might be a known issue but I have not found
    anything online dealing with my specific issue. Nothing new installed
    lately that I can find that would have caused this. Not much running on
    this machine, Office 2007 and VMware workstation 7 - maybe a couple of other
    smaller footprint items. It is a domain joined systems connected to a
    Active Directory 2003 edition. Any help is much appreciated.

    Clay, May 18, 2010

  2. Something is having a problem (or trying to control) the networking when it
    sees a network. The first thing I'd try is a system restore to the day
    _before_ this started. The other thing you could try is use MSConfig to
    disable every possible non-MS automatically starting program and then slowly
    add them back in, one by one, to find out which is the culprit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2010

  3. Clay

    Carlos Guest

    And in case of major surgery "Autoruns"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    could come in handy for even deeper disabling and/or pinpointing unwanted
    programs/services installed anonymously.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 18, 2010
  4. Good point. Though I just went through and did a cleanup of a friends Win7
    64-bit box that was taking 30 minutes to boot. Disabled all the IE addin
    toolbars that her kids had enabled. And did a cleanup of the "screensaver"
    apps that they'd added using msconfig. She was quite happy when I was done.
    ;)

    Most of these that aren't actually evil malware at least show in msconfig or
    as IE addins. And if the problem is one of the evil ones, more serious
    efforts may be required.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2010
  5. Clay

    Clay Guest

    Thanks much for all of the input on this issue. The problem turned out to
    be VMware 7. Once I disabled the virtual network adapters, the physical
    ones started behaving normally. VMware 7 had been installed for two months
    running without any issues. Not sure what changed.

    Clay, May 18, 2010
  6. Clay

    Carlos Guest

    Clay,
    Glad you could find the issue.
    Try Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) instead.
    It is freeware.
    Uninstall VMWare first!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 19, 2010
  7. Clay

    Carlos Guest

    IE addins!
    This very afternoon I was teaching an engineer how to get rid of a
    persistent unwanted toolbar in IE.
    He was also very happy when he learnt from me how to manage (and disable)
    addins.
    Now, if those $%& IT guys would just replace my Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz PC with
    something newer and faster I would not spend half of the day closing open
    apps to recover memory and speed. Quite OT but I had to write it down!
    :)

    Carlos

    Carlos, May 19, 2010
  8. Oh, my. I feel for you! Definitely time for an upgrade, Carlos!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2010
  9. Clay

    rcmz

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    maybe there's a problem with your registry
    you can scan for error and then clean it up
    you can search registryfix123 in google
    it provides a free scan

    rcmz, Jul 16, 2010