Windows 7, Files won't delete

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by KauaiDave, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. KauaiDave

    KauaiDave Guest

    I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.

    I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    as that same user. The error message says they are
    owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    shell and I get permission denied.

    A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    to switch to Administrator?

    Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
    person with the same permissions?

    Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.

    KauaiDave

    KauaiDave, Mar 8, 2010

  2. KauaiDave

    Jeff Layman Guest

    "KauaiDave" <> wrote in message

    > I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    > were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    > copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >
    > I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    > as that same user. The error message says they are
    > owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    > shell and I get permission denied.
    >
    > A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    > 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    > out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    > Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    > tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    > to switch to Administrator?
    >
    > Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
    > person with the same permissions?
    >
    > Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
    >
    > KauaiDave

    How about using something like Eraser to get rid of the files when you
    reboot?

    I would have suggested using Unlocker, but the 64-bit version is still
    awaited. :-(

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Mar 8, 2010

  3. Hi,
    i guess , you are using explorer to handle your files.
    You can create a shortcut on your desktop to explorer.
    (point anywhere to desktop, right mouse click -> create shortcut ...
    type in "explorer.exe")

    After that, you can run the explorer by "right clicking" and selecting
    "run as administrator" in the context menue.

    May be the administrators account must be enabled before on your system.

    jk
    you should consider a usb bug in windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

    Juergen Kluth, Mar 8, 2010
  4. KauaiDave

    doc Guest

    "Jeff Layman" <> wrote in message
    > "KauaiDave" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    >> were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    >> copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >>
    >> I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    >> as that same user. The error message says they are
    >> owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    >> shell and I get permission denied.
    >>
    >> A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    >> 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    >> out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    >> Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    >> tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    >> to switch to Administrator?
    >>
    >> Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
    >> person with the same permissions?
    >>
    >> Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
    >>
    >> KauaiDave

    > How about using something like Eraser to get rid of the files when you
    > reboot?
    >
    > I would have suggested using Unlocker, but the 64-bit version is still
    > awaited. :-(
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff

    You mention Eraser; is Eraser compatible with Win 7? I have been using it
    for years (with WinXP), and like it very much.
    Doc

    doc, Mar 8, 2010
  5. KauaiDave

    Jeff Layman Guest

    "doc" <> wrote in message

    > You mention Eraser; is Eraser compatible with Win 7? I have been using it
    > for years (with WinXP), and like it very much.
    > Doc

    Yes, works well with Win 7 64-bit for normal file erasing, although there
    seem to be problems when trying to erase unused disk space
    (http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6088&sid=5579649b1df38b703b128541ff6ae743
    and
    http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6067&sid=5579649b1df38b703b128541ff6ae743).

    I've also been using it for years with XPH.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Mar 9, 2010
  6. KauaiDave

    Donahoo Guest

    KauaiDave wrote:

    > I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    > were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    > copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >
    > I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    > as that same user. The error message says they are
    > owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    > shell and I get permission denied.
    >
    > A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    > 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    > out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    > Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    > tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    > to switch to Administrator?
    >
    > Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
    > person with the same permissions?
    >
    > Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
    >
    > KauaiDave

    I had a program on XP called ForceDelete but I don't know if works in
    Windows 7.

    Donahoo, Mar 9, 2010
  7. KauaiDave

    Carlos Guest

    Jeff,
    There's a new version 1.8.9 released yesterday:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    It claims Win 7 and x64 compatibility.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 9, 2010
  8. "KauaiDave" <> wrote in message

    > I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    > were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    > copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >
    > I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    > as that same user. The error message says they are
    > owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    > shell and I get permission denied.

    Try using icacls.exe (in an elevated cmd window)?

    > A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    > 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    > out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    > Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    > tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    > to switch to Administrator?

    Have you tried just elevating cmd.exe? Otherwise in order to switch to
    Administrator you will have to give it a password.

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 9, 2010
  9. KauaiDave

    Tom Guest

    "KauaiDave" <> wrote in message

    > I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    > were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    > copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >
    > I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    > as that same user. The error message says they are
    > owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    > shell and I get permission denied.
    >
    > A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
    > 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
    > out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
    > Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
    > tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
    > to switch to Administrator?
    >
    > Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
    > person with the same permissions?
    >
    > Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
    >
    > KauaiDave

    You should be an admin unless you made the choice otherwise when you first
    logged onto that PC. Right click on "My Computer" then choose "manage".
    Expand the "Local Users and Groups" tree, click on "Groups" then double
    click "Administrators" in the main window and check if your user name is in
    that group in the "members" window. If not, just add yourself to that.

    Tom, Mar 10, 2010
  10. KauaiDave

    Phoenix Guest

    If UAC is enabled, you sometimes need "elevated priveleges". So you have to
    "run as administrator" even if you are the the administrator...
    I've run into problems deleting files too even with elevated privileges, if
    the file permissions are set weird by Windows. Haven't tried the utilities
    mentioned yet...BTW, IE reports the Unlocker site as having been reported as
    suspicious--I guess it views a utility that tries to tamper with its file
    settings as malicious software.

    Phoenix, Mar 10, 2010
  11. KauaiDave

    Tom Guest

    Well, if assigning themselves admin priviledges, they can take control
    of said file. By default, Windows will not even allow access to
    systems files with admin level. Really though, myself included, I am
    surprised it was not mentioned using system restore to get rid of the
    Recycle Bin issue.

    Tom, Mar 10, 2010
  12. KauaiDave

    Jeff Layman Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff,
    > There's a new version 1.8.9 released yesterday:
    > http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    > It claims Win 7 and x64 compatibility.
    > Carlos

    Thanks, Carlos. I only looked at Cedrick's site on Monday!

    But I'm having a lot of trouble downloading the file as Norton views it as a
    heuristic virus!

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Mar 10, 2010
  13. KauaiDave

    Jeff Layman Guest

    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff,
    >> There's a new version 1.8.9 released yesterday:
    >> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    >> It claims Win 7 and x64 compatibility.
    >> Carlos
    >>

    > Thanks, Carlos. I only looked at Cedrick's site on Monday!
    >
    > But I'm having a lot of trouble downloading the file as Norton views it as
    > a heuristic virus!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff

    Eventually installed (after much trouble and having to remove DEP issues),
    but doesn't work for me. I've emailed Cedrick to see if he can sort out the
    problem.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Mar 10, 2010
  14. On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:20:49 -0800 (PST), KauaiDave
    <> wrote:

    >I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
    >were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
    >copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
    >
    >I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
    >as that same user. The error message says they are
    >owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
    >shell and I get permission denied.

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

    This works for Windows 7 also.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Mar 15, 2010