    Xp at the moment. I will add Sata hd put Windows 7 on it. Will my dual boot
    set-up still work with windows 7 added?

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jan 2, 2009

  2. Kue2

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    I've been running the pre-beta Win7 x64 build 6801 for a couple of months
    now, dual-booting with Vista Ultimate x64. Win7's Setup added Win7 to my
    dual-boot menu, just like Vista did long ago. ;<)

    I haven't seen the actual beta of Win7 yet, but I would expect it to install
    just like Vista did. During the long Vista beta, I had as many as 8
    installations "octo-booting" at one time: both x86 and x64 versions of
    WinXP and of 3 beta builds. The only clumsy part was the transition from
    WinXP's Boot.ini system to Vista's BCD. So far as I can see in this
    pre-beta, Win7 continues to use BCD. So I suppose we'll still need to
    choose from either Win7, Vista or a "previous version" which will re-invoke
    NTLDR, Boot.ini, etc. But I'm only guessing.

    I still have a few other installations that I haven't deleted yet (Vista
    Ultimate x86 and a couple of WinXPs) and I have trouble booting those
    because I haven't needed them enough to bother cleaning up BCD/Boot.ini -
    and for now, with my new 1 TB HDD, I once again have "more disk space than
    I'll ever need", just like when I got that first humongous 1 GB drive a few
    years ago. :^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 1202 in Win7 x64 6801)

    R. C. White, Jan 2, 2009

  3. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Thanks RC
    I see from your explanation that everything should remain the same as now
    only windows7 will be added to my boot menu.
    Any other tips(tricks) or cautions you can pass along before I load Windows
    7?
    I will be installing on a new Seagate Barracuda Sata harddrive. I already
    have a very fast Seagate Barracuda Sata drive loaded(Vista64-XP) & Western
    digital ATA HD(XP64).

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jan 2, 2009
  4. Kue2

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    Jump on in! The water's fine! ;<)

    As I said, I've been running Win7 6801 for a couple of months now and almost
    never boot into Vista anymore. Just to keep Vista's copy of the WLMail
    database up to date; it has some pre-Win7 stuff that I don't want to lose.
    (I tried briefly to have Vista and Win7 share a common Message Store - that
    created a disaster! So I'm now maintaining separate stores for them; see
    prior comments about abundant available disk space.)

    My early adventures in dual-booting were often complicated by mixing HD
    interfaces (SCSI, IDE, and then SATA). I had run nothing but SCSI HDs until
    then and when I added my first IDE HD, my mobo and BIOS insisted on seeing
    the IDE drive as Disk 0, ignoring the boot files on the SCSI. And, of
    course, I had to use F6 to get the SCSI drivers into Win2K and WinXP. The
    transition to SATA, with later BIOSes, has gone much smoother, but you still
    better watch your step during Setup. Make sure that you are seeing the
    correct Disk 0 and partition number. DO NOT rely on "Drive Letters" which
    are fickle and can change every time you reboot! Be sure to give each
    volume (primary partition and logical drive) a NAME to be written to the HD
    and use that, rather than the letter, to place your files.

    And, speaking of drive letters, remember that Vista will inherit existing
    letter assignments if you boot into your existing OS and run Setup from that
    desktop. But if you boot from the Vista DVD, it will not know the existing
    assignments; it will assign C: to the volume where you install the \Windows
    folder and your system volume probably will become D:, so far as Vista is
    concerned. It appears so far that Win7 will behave the same way. And it
    appears that Microsoft will now refer to the volume had holds the \Windows
    folder as the "OS volume", rather than the counterintuitive legacy term
    "boot volume" that has been used for so long. That should make it a little
    less confusing. But we still will boot from the "system volume", not the
    "boot volume".

    RC

    R. C. White, Jan 5, 2009