    the D drive instead of C?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Dec 9, 2009

  2. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

    > I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
    >
    > I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard drive
    > is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the recovery
    > partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be used for
    > anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in the D drive
    > instead of C?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    You'll have to format your hard drive.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
    Dan C, Dec 9, 2009

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Grinder wrote:
    > On 12/8/2009 10:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
    >> I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
    >>
    >> I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard drive is
    >> split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the recovery
    >> partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be used for
    >> anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in the D drive
    >> instead of C?

    > You can open up your user folder (found at C:\Users\Bob for a user named
    > Bob) and drag those folders to a new destination. It will automatically
    > remap the system paths to reflect where you drop that stuff. That
    > works, but I prefer to remap the entire user folder instead of just its
    > contents one-by-one.
    >
    > I can't find the prescription I followed, but basically what it involves
    > is moving your user folder to it's new location, and creating a junction
    > to it at the old location. This guy seems to have a good description of
    > what to do:
    >
    > http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2009/05/18/how-to-move-your-windows-user-profile-to-another-drive/
    >

    > He'll probably warn you, but it bears repeating: You can bork your
    > install by doing this so make a backup before you start.

    That's the one. (it's a little different than I was expecting, but
    I've used file system mount points before on other OS's so I
    understand what he's doing.) Thanks.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Dec 9, 2009
  4. zxcvbob

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob <> wrote:

    >I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
    >
    >I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard
    >drive is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the
    >recovery partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be
    >used for anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in
    >the D drive instead of C?

    You can open the Documents library, and at the top it will say "Documents
    includes x location(s). Add a new location by clicking on that line, and
    select "add". Map it the drive/directory you want to add. Then delete the
    original entry that points to the c: drive. Repeat for videos, pictures,
    music, downloads, etc... You can also add library pointers this way.
    G. Morgan, Dec 9, 2009
  5. zxcvbob

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

    >I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)

    Actually usually not, path is fairly fixed at installation time, if you
    don't use a custom setup. It's one of those MS things.

    >I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard
    >drive is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the
    >recovery partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be
    >used for anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in
    >the D drive instead of C?

    The Win 7 PC is off just now, but it may be like 2000/XP.

    Backup / Copy all the files, there will be some system/hidden files you
    need.

    In Win Explorer , right click My Documents , Properties ,

    Target Folder Location
    Target - <path>
    Buttons - Restore Default , Move , Find Target

    Have never tried this, just saw it one day.

    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    Me
    why?, Dec 9, 2009