    preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
    configure the VM.

    Thanks.
    Frank, Oct 28, 2009

  2. "Frank" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
    > 32-bot software?
    >
    > On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
    > preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
    > configure the VM.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.

    If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
    it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

    Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP
    Richard Urban, Oct 28, 2009

  3. Frank

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <eN$>,
    says...

    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) of Windows 7 run 16-bit or
    > > 32-bot software?
    > >
    > > On the Windows 7 Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
    > > preloaded to run 16-bit? I heard that you may have to download and
    > > configure the VM.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.
    >
    > If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
    > it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.
    >
    > Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

    If having Home version, you are not out of luck.

    You can try VirtualBox,
    that does not have requirements
    for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
    Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
    experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.

    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.
    Poutnik, Oct 28, 2009
  4. VMware Player 3.0 is free and you can now create VMs as well. VMware
    Player has full USB 2.0 support and a 'Unity' mode that is similar to
    Microsoft's implementation of Virtual XP.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 28, 2009
  5. Windows 7 Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
    32-bit version runs 32-bit and 16-bit software just fine. The 64-bit version
    runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run 16-bit software. (No
    64-bit MS operating system will run 16-bit software.)

    For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
    solution. The MS Windows VPC is only installable on Professional,
    Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7.

    The Starter Edition of Windows 7 is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
    available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.

    --
    Charlie.
    http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 28, 2009
  6. Frank

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <#>,
    says...

    > Windows 7 Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
    > 32-bit version runs 32-bit and 16-bit software just fine. The 64-bit version
    > runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run 16-bit software. (No
    > 64-bit MS operating system will run 16-bit software.)
    >
    > For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
    > solution. The MS Windows VPC is only installable on Professional,
    > Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7.
    >
    > The Starter Edition of Windows 7 is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
    > available. The Home Basic edition has been dropped.

    Does VirtualPC 2007 run on Win 7 ?
    I ask because on Vista64 Home Premium it works
    and need not HW virtuslization.

    I know, it is not supported for Home Vista, but works well.

    Poutnik, Oct 28, 2009
  7. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Oct 28, 6:10 am, Poutnik <> wrote:
    > In article <eN$>,
    > says...
    >

    > > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > > > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
    > > > 32-bot software?

    > > > On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
    > > > preloaded to run16-bit?   I heard that you may have to download and
    > > > configure the VM.

    > > > Thanks.

    > >WindowsVirtual PC does NOT come with any version ofWindows7.

    > > If you haveWindows7Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
    > > it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

    > > Get it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

    > If having Home version, you are not out of luck.
    >
    > You can try VirtualBox,
    > that does not have requirements
    > for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
    > Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
    > experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.
    >
    > http://www.virtualbox.org/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox
    >
    > --
    > Poutnik
    > The best depends on how the best is defined.- Hide quoted text -

    Doe sthe user need to have a copy of Windows XP to run programs under
    Virtual Box virtualization?
    Frank, Oct 29, 2009
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Oct 28, 10:57 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Windows7Home Premium is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The
    > 32-bit version runs 32-bit and16-bitsoftware just fine. The 64-bit version
    > runs 64-bit and 32-bit software, but will NOT run16-bitsoftware. (No
    > 64-bit MS operating system will run16-bitsoftware.)
    >
    > For Home Premium, you will need to find a third party virtualization
    > solution. The MSWindowsVPC is only installable on Professional,
    > Enterprise, and Ultimate Editions ofWindows7.
    >
    > The Starter Edition ofWindows7is 32-bit only, no 64-bit, and isn't widely
    > available. The Home Basic edition has  been dropped.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > > Anyone know if lowerr end versions (Home) ofWindows7run16-bitor
    > > 32-bot software?

    > > On theWindows7Premium and Ultimate - is the Virtualization machine
    > > preloaded to run16-bit?   I heard that you may have to download and
    > > configure the VM.

    > > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

    With 7 Pro and Ultimate - MSFT provides a copy of XP on their
    virtualiztion VM download/plug-in?

    For 64-bit Home Premium - a third party could be VM Ware or MSFT's VM
    but you will need a copy of XP?

    Thanks.
    Frank, Oct 29, 2009
  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Oct 28, 9:11 am, Bobby Johnson <>
    wrote:
    > VMware Player 3.0 is free and you can now create VMs as well.  VMware
    > Player has full USB 2.0 support and a 'Unity' mode that is similar to
    > Microsoft's implementation of Virtual XP.
    >

    > Poutnik wrote:
    > > In article <eN$>,
    > > says...
    > >> "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > >> Windows Virtual PC does NOT come with any version of Windows 7.

    > >> If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise you can download
    > >> it and install it **IF** your hardware meets the requirements.

    > >> Get it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

    > > If having Home version, you are not out of luck.

    > > You can try VirtualBox,
    > > that does not have requirements
    > > for CPU HW virtualization support, if not running 64bit guest.
    > > Running 64bit guests, CPU HW virtualization support is requested,
    > > experimentally running even on 32bit host systems.

    > >http://www.virtualbox.org/
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox- Hide quoted text -

    But the user will have to buy & load a copy of Windows XP OS or other
    older version of Windows to run 16-bit? Then run VM Ware player?
    Frank, Oct 29, 2009
  10. Frank

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <8b5fdbff-6003-4844-acec-
    >,
    says...

    > Doe sthe user need to have a copy of Windows XP to run programs under
    > Virtual Box virtualization?

    Sure, you do need to have a copy of Windows installed under VBox.

    Always think about Virtual machines under any of virtualization
    software as theywere real, physical machine.

    VBox without installed OS is like PC without installed OS.

    Poutnik, Oct 29, 2009
  11. Yes.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 29, 2009
  12. Yes.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 29, 2009
  13. Yes.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 29, 2009
  14. It doesn't currently install, so far as I'm aware. It's possible that there
    may be a solution at some point, but I haven't seen any details.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2009
  15. Correct on both counts. Though I don't believe that there is a MS solution
    at this time for Home Premium, but certainly VMWare (or other third party)
    would be a viable solution. But you would need a copy of XP.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2009
  16. Frank

    Jane C Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > It doesn't currently install, so far as I'm aware. It's possible that
    > there may be a solution at some point, but I haven't seen any details.

    I have it running here (the old Virtual PC 2007 SP1) on Windows 7 x64
    just fine. It won't install if you've previously tried to install
    Windows Virtual PC, you need to fiddle around and remove that first
    completely. On a fresh install of Windows 7, VPC will install and run
    with no issues. Virtual Server on the other hand is blocked on 7.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
    Jane C, Oct 29, 2009
  17. Ah, must have been a message I saw from someone who had installed WinVPC
    first. I knew about the blockage of VS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel