    "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"

    What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows didn't give a damn
    which version other machines had. Why now?
    richard, Sep 17, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:

    > "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1405566 How to Network
    Windows 7, Vista, and XP Computers

    Some key points quoted below:

    Disable the Simple or Wizard File-Sharing Interface - Windows XP
    Professional and all editions of Vista and Windows 7 have advanced
    sharing settings. When you use the advanced method, you can better
    control sharing using Permissions.

    To find the current Workgroup of a Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
    machine, right-click the My Computer or Computer shortcut from the
    desktop or start menu and select Properties. You'll see the computer
    name, domain, and workgroup setting on the System window.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2010

  3. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > Attempted to setup a simple adhoc wifi network and windows 7 basically
    > says, "screw you".
    > "You don't have a homegroup and we're not telling you how to get one"
    > "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"
    >
    > What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows didn't give a damn
    > which version other machines had. Why now?

    Just buy a book on W7 already.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 18, 2010
  4. richard wrote:
    > Attempted to setup a simple adhoc wifi network and windows 7 basically
    > says, "screw you".
    > "You don't have a homegroup and we're not telling you how to get one"
    > "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"
    >
    > What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows didn't give a damn
    > which version other machines had. Why now?

    To force you to upgrade, obviously.
    Its the M$ business model.

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 18, 2010
  5. richard

    Anyone Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 01:33:05 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> Attempted to setup a simple adhoc wifi network and windows 7 basically
    >> says, "screw you".
    >> "You don't have a homegroup and we're not telling you how to get one"
    >> "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"
    >>
    >> What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows didn't give a damn
    >> which version other machines had. Why now?

    > Just buy a book on W7 already.

    okay, that does it....

    you now owe me a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels.
    Anyone, Sep 26, 2010
  6. richard

    Anyone Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:20:46 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Attempted to setup a simple adhoc wifi network and windows 7 basically
    > says, "screw you".
    > "You don't have a homegroup and we're not telling you how to get one"
    > "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"
    >
    > What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows didn't give a damn
    > which version other machines had. Why now?

    more than a few people recommend 'Work' group, not 'homegroup'. my WiFi
    came up and completed authentication within seconds.
    Anyone, Sep 26, 2010
  7. richard <> via

    > Attempted to setup a simple adhoc wifi network and
    > windows 7 basically says, "screw you".
    > "You don't have a homegroup and we're not telling you
    > how to get one"
    > "You can only network with other windows 7 machines"
    >
    > What a crock of shit. All other versions of windows
    > didn't give a damn which version other machines had.
    > Why now?

    All you has to do is if you already gots an existing
    home network, "home grope", is goto your Win7 dialog
    (or "dialouge" if you're British; or "MAYONNAISE" if
    you're Canadian; or "KY Intense" if you're a eunuch...)

    http://coedmagazine.com/2010/01/07/so-does-k-y-intense-gel-really-work/

    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System

    or right-click on your "Computer" icon > Properties
    and then click on "Advanced system settings"; then

    .... under the "Computer Name" tab; (your Win7 computer
    should have its own unique name different than the other
    ones which you already have named, as should they each - and
    the 'dominatrix name' area should be greyed-out for right now)
    then the Change or Rename button, then rename your Win7 Workgroup
    the same as your existing Workgroup name [on your LAN side of
    the router] and then *reboot* and Win7 will automatically find
    the network and show it under your network places dialog...
    Plus, the tray icon will show your network as connected
    or not-connected to the interwebs (hover your mouse pointer
    over it and will speaks to you in leetle magic-balloons).

    Suggestion : You should name yours "My-St00pid-Home-Grope" -
    just sayin'... without the quotes... possibly in all caps...

    <badda-bing>

    Of course... *anyone* can *always* make new stuff not work...
    just don't read the manual. Easy.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
    that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

    Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.
    Bucky Breeder, Sep 26, 2010