Windows 7 64bit and 32bit

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Virgin Media, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. Virgin Media

    Virgin Media Guest

    Hi All
    My brother bought windows 7 from a company called unisoft UK or
    something like that, then he found out they where in China, but the disks
    arrived, one said 32bit and the other 64bit, he placed the 64bit disk in and
    it installed and worked with no problems whatsoever. His system say's he has
    32bit installed though, he is absolutely certain he put the 64bit disk in
    the drive, he is a little bewildered by PC's and I talked him through it on
    the phone, he said he put the 32bit disk back in the box, the 64bit version
    is still on his desk where it has laid since the install. Now is it possible
    to find out if the actual disk is what it says it is? it activated
    ok......He got just one activation number which came with the disks for both
    64bit and 32bit? I thought maybe two numbers one for each disk depending on
    what you want to install.

    Now the company can no longer be found on the web and it seems they have
    disappeared, my brother was going to contact them, he did however pay
    through Pay-Pal but before he tackles them we need to know if both disks
    have 32bit on them and that's why they have disappeared because they where
    selling dodgy disks. This installation was only a week ago.

    Cheers

    Gordon
    Virgin Media, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Virgin Media

    GordonB Guest

    "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    > On 7/4/2010 1:53 PM, Virgin Media wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >> My brother bought windows 7 from a company called unisoft UK or
    >> something like that, then he found out they where in China, but the
    >> disks arrived, one said 32bit and the other 64bit, he placed the 64bit
    >> disk in and it installed and worked with no problems whatsoever. His
    >> system say's he has 32bit installed though, he is absolutely certain he
    >> put the 64bit disk in the drive, he is a little bewildered by PC's and I
    >> talked him through it on the phone, he said he put the 32bit disk back
    >> in the box, the 64bit version is still on his desk where it has laid
    >> since the install. Now is it possible to find out if the actual disk is
    >> what it says it is? it activated ok......He got just one activation
    >> number which came with the disks for both 64bit and 32bit? I thought
    >> maybe two numbers one for each disk depending on what you want to
    >> install.
    >>
    >> Now the company can no longer be found on the web and it seems they have
    >> disappeared, my brother was going to contact them, he did however pay
    >> through Pay-Pal but before he tackles them we need to know if both disks
    >> have 32bit on them and that's why they have disappeared because they
    >> where selling dodgy disks. This installation was only a week ago.

    > His software is probably counterfeit, and it's hard to tell what's on
    > those discs. Setting aside the fact that they're probably not
    > legitimately licensed, I would be very wary of using an installer that
    > could have an embedded rootkit, or some other bit of nasty.
    >
    > PayPal will be of no use to you. They will claim that they cover you on
    > shipping issues, and that you clearly received your package. If I had to
    > deal with them, I would probably asked "what if" I had received a box of
    > human feces instead of a Windows 7 license? Since, after all, counterfeit
    > software is in the same category as the aforementioned turds.
    >
    > First up, though, you should confirm that the software is indeed bogus.
    > You probably won't like this idea, but you should contact Microsoft to see
    > if they can determine if the COA, which I presume you received, is
    > genuine. If it is not, then you are in a better position to argue with
    > PayPal.
    >
    > ASIDE: It's also possible that you have a rip of a bulk installer that's
    > using a manufacturer's volume license key. The installer is supposed to
    > check if you have the right brand and/or model of PC, but your shifty
    > software sellers may have punched that check out to allow it to install.
    > In any case, I don't see how that software can be legitimate. How much
    > did your brother pay, and for what edition?
    >
    > When PayPal does nothing, go to your credit card company. Succinctly
    > explain that you were sold counterfeit software, and you would like them
    > to make a charge back.
    >
    > I wish you luck.

    Oh shit, he has to be the unluckiest person I know (I could bring tears to
    most peoples eyes with the shit that has happened to him)...Oh well thanks
    for the info, is it possible to see if it's 64bit on the disk or 32 on both
    disk?

    Once again cheers Grinder

    Gordon
    GordonB, Jul 4, 2010

  3. Virgin Media

    GordonB Guest

    "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    > On 7/4/2010 1:53 PM, Virgin Media wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >> My brother bought windows 7 from a company called unisoft UK or
    >> something like that, then he found out they where in China, but the
    >> disks arrived, one said 32bit and the other 64bit, he placed the 64bit
    >> disk in and it installed and worked with no problems whatsoever. His
    >> system say's he has 32bit installed though, he is absolutely certain he
    >> put the 64bit disk in the drive, he is a little bewildered by PC's and I
    >> talked him through it on the phone, he said he put the 32bit disk back
    >> in the box, the 64bit version is still on his desk where it has laid
    >> since the install. Now is it possible to find out if the actual disk is
    >> what it says it is? it activated ok......He got just one activation
    >> number which came with the disks for both 64bit and 32bit? I thought
    >> maybe two numbers one for each disk depending on what you want to
    >> install.
    >>
    >> Now the company can no longer be found on the web and it seems they have
    >> disappeared, my brother was going to contact them, he did however pay
    >> through Pay-Pal but before he tackles them we need to know if both disks
    >> have 32bit on them and that's why they have disappeared because they
    >> where selling dodgy disks. This installation was only a week ago.

    > His software is probably counterfeit, and it's hard to tell what's on
    > those discs. Setting aside the fact that they're probably not
    > legitimately licensed, I would be very wary of using an installer that
    > could have an embedded rootkit, or some other bit of nasty.
    >
    > PayPal will be of no use to you. They will claim that they cover you on
    > shipping issues, and that you clearly received your package. If I had to
    > deal with them, I would probably asked "what if" I had received a box of
    > human feces instead of a Windows 7 license? Since, after all, counterfeit
    > software is in the same category as the aforementioned turds.
    >
    > First up, though, you should confirm that the software is indeed bogus.
    > You probably won't like this idea, but you should contact Microsoft to see
    > if they can determine if the COA, which I presume you received, is
    > genuine. If it is not, then you are in a better position to argue with
    > PayPal.
    >
    > ASIDE: It's also possible that you have a rip of a bulk installer that's
    > using a manufacturer's volume license key. The installer is supposed to
    > check if you have the right brand and/or model of PC, but your shifty
    > software sellers may have punched that check out to allow it to install.
    > In any case, I don't see how that software can be legitimate. How much
    > did your brother pay, and for what edition?
    >
    > When PayPal does nothing, go to your credit card company. Succinctly
    > explain that you were sold counterfeit software, and you would like them
    > to make a charge back.
    >
    > I wish you luck.

    I forgot to mention, He paid £70 for both disks, which to be honest he found
    a little PC shop in a village today which was selling windows 7 home for £75

    Cheers
    GordonB, Jul 4, 2010
  4. Virgin Media

    Tony Guest

    Big deal all you're paying for is the key so just download the 64 bit version
    off the internet of the type you have then use the license key you have.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 4, 2010