    Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

    Thank you,

    Steven
    Steven Hilgendorf, Oct 24, 2009

  2. Steven Hilgendorf

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 24/10/2009 in message <> Steven
    Hilgendorf wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
    >ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array and
    >I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
    >formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents, files,
    >program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

    If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
    recognise it.

    >If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
    >disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows 7
    >64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
    >running, or is this not necessary?

    I don't think that should be necessary.

    >Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

    Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose it
    may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk of
    failure.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009

  3. Win 7 x64 drivers for the RAID host will be needed. Make sure you can
    obtain them before you start.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 24, 2009
  4. Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > On 24/10/2009 in message <> Steven
    > Hilgendorf wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
    >> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
    >> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an
    >> existing formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains
    >> documents, files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

    > If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
    > recognise it.

    Yes, It's FAT32 setup and formated with VISTA.

    >> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I
    >> temporarily disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and
    >> install Windows 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once
    >> everything is up and running, or is this not necessary?

    > I don't think that should be necessary.

    OK, however I still may unplug the drive during setup and format so that
    the IDE drive content does not get zapped.

    >> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

    > Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose
    > it may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk
    > of failure.

    I've installed my last two OS's on RAID 0 ARRAYS and have not worried
    about failure, since I backup my data regularly. I also try to upgrade
    my hardware every year or so.

    Thanks again,

    Steven
    Steven Hilgendorf, Oct 24, 2009
  5. Ah good point!

    Thanks again,

    Steven

    Steven Hilgendorf, Oct 24, 2009
  6. Why would the content get "zapped"? You're going to be formatting the array,
    fine, but that won't change the data drive.

    I also think that having RAID0 is a really bad idea, since it does double
    your chance of failure. And while you might have a good backup, it's still a
    pain.

    --
    Charlie.
    http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2009
  7. Steven Hilgendorf

    mikeyhsd Guest

    be cautious.
    make sure drivers are available for the RAID array before installing.

    been at least 1 report of no raid drivers.

    mikeyhsd, Oct 25, 2009
  8. Steven Hilgendorf

    swarfega Guest

    You may want to convert the hard drives from fat32 to ntfs when you come to
    format them.

    swarfega, Oct 25, 2009
  9. Steven Hilgendorf

    David B. Guest

    Not necessarily, depends on the chipset, 7 has drivers for some.

    David B., Oct 26, 2009
  10. Steven Hilgendorf

    David B. Guest

    How is it a hassle? Yes it doubles the chance of a hard drive failure, but
    frequent backups take care of that risk.

    David B., Oct 26, 2009
  11. Steven Hilgendorf

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Steven.

    > I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
    > formated 32bit IDE hard drive?

    Of course! Please don't confuse FILE systems with OPERATING systems. File
    systems don't get involved in the "bitness" question. Even if that IDE
    drive had been formatted by 16-bit MS-DOS, Win7 would have no trouble
    reading it and using it as a data drive. Win7 can still read floppy disks
    from long ago. (I haven't actually tried to read my old 5.25" disks
    recently, but I'm confident that Win7 could do it.)

    Win7 doesn't care if that drive is IDE or SCSI or SATA - or if it is in a
    RAID. And it doesn't care if it was formatted by Win7 x64 or WinXP x86 - or
    32-bit Win3.1 or 16-bit MS-DOS. The Win7 OS must be installed on a
    partition formatted NTFS, but it is quite tolerant about reading data
    drives. There's no problem mixing FAT(x) and NTFS partitions on the same
    HDD - or even on a single RAID array.

    > would you recommend I temporarily disconnect the IDE drive until I
    > re-format the array and install Windows 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the
    > IDE drive

    Not necessary. But not a bad idea, just in case. Once Win7 is up and
    running, with all drives connected, use Disk Management as usual to assign
    or reassign drive letters to volumes on all your drives.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX