Windows 7/64 question

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sardine, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. Sardine

    Sardine Guest

    Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default
    folder where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a
    change?

    I'm talking about just one folder, everything seems to be forced to go
    there on saving.

    The folder is ...Users\my-user-name\documents\excel files

    This is a pain in the a** for me. If I haven't specified a certain save
    location for a software, the saved files go to me excel files folder.

    This isn't just ms office, it happens with almost all software I have
    installed.

    I removed everything from Libraries\documents but nothing changed. Win-7
    is not very nice to me.

    Thanks,

    Sardine
    Sardine, Feb 15, 2010

  2. Sardine

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Sardine:
    The default folder for saving documents is "Users\user-name\documents"
    unless a different location is indicated. Another default function when
    saving an item is to list the last location that a save was made to first
    which then can be edited. The second default function is the probable cause
    for everything going to the folder "Users\my-user-name\documents\excel
    files" on your computer. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4869 (20100215) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Dennis Pack, Feb 15, 2010

  3. Sardine

    Sardine Guest

    Ghod Dhammit wrote:
    > "Sardine" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default folder
    >> where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a change?
    >>
    >> I'm talking about just one folder, everything seems to be forced to go
    >> there on saving.
    >>
    >> The folder is ...Users\my-user-name\documents\excel files
    >>
    >> This is a pain in the a** for me. If I haven't specified a certain save
    >> location for a software, the saved files go to me excel files folder.
    >>
    >> This isn't just ms office, it happens with almost all software I have
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I removed everything from Libraries\documents but nothing changed. Win-7
    >> is not very nice to me.

    > Prolly loose nut behind the keyboard. Heh. I can't imagine how you got
    > into this state. Well, if no one comes up with a fix, you can always
    > reinstall winders, that oughta take care of it.

    Well, I think you are probably right about me causing it without knowing
    what I did (or didn't) do.

    In any case, I'll survive.

    Thanks.

    Sardine
    Sardine, Feb 15, 2010
  4. "Sardine" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default folder
    > where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a change?

    AIUI now it doesn't matter where we stuff things since we now have Libraries
    to keep track of them? ; [

    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 19, 2010