    Jes

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4645 (20091128) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    jes lookn, Nov 28, 2009

  2. If a program is not coded correctly it may well hold the memory after the
    application is closed. Look to the program manufacturer for any updates or
    fixes.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 28, 2009

  3. jes lookn

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:15:22 -0500, "jes lookn" <>
    wrote:

    >I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with 8GB of memory. On two occasions, the memory
    >has become so low that I have had to reboot. If I notice that I am getting
    >low on memory, I quit programs and the memory that those programs were using
    >are not released back to be reused. Has anyone else seen this?

    According to Wikipedia 64 bit can support up to (I think) 67.3 million
    Terabytes of RAM. I was disappointed to discover that the spec for my
    new computer is a bit lower than that.

    Scott, Nov 28, 2009
  4. jes lookn

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Richard Urban"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >If a program is not coded correctly it may well hold the memory after the
    >application is closed. Look to the program manufacturer for any updates or
    >fixes.

    How would a program do that?

    With the exception of kernel mode drivers, rootkits and similar,
    Windows' memory model simply doesn't allow memory to be used unless it's
    owned by a process (or the kernel itself)

    However, that doesn't mean memory is marked as "free" once it's
    released, free memory is wasted memory, if the data in memory is
    potentially reusable Windows keeps it in RAM, releasing it only as
    memory is needed by other applications.

    Dave Warren, Nov 29, 2009
  5. jes lookn

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "jes lookn"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with 8GB of memory. On two occasions, the memory
    >has become so low that I have had to reboot. If I notice that I am getting
    >low on memory, I quit programs and the memory that those programs were using
    >are not released back to be reused. Has anyone else seen this?

    Is Windows paging data out to disk? If not, then this is fairly normal.
    Start Resource Monitor (from the button in Task Manager) and take a look
    at the "Memory" tab, how much memory is in "Standby" or "Free"?

    You shouldn't normally see much memory in "Free" state, this isn't a
    problem, "Standby" memory is as good as free if an application needs it,
    but if not, it potentially boosts performance if you happen to re-do
    whatever task used said memory previously. In other words, it's
    basically cache, although it's actually only a subset of the cache.

    Dave Warren, Nov 29, 2009
  6. By not terminating correctly any memory used will stay locked and will not
    be released to the cache.

    I have seen in Vista where I have has 4 instances of Firefox shown in task
    manager. I would shut down FF and start it up again an hour later and
    another instance would start. NO! I didn't have multiple windows open. When
    I saw the 4 instances all instances of FF were terminated.

    Richard Urban, Nov 29, 2009
  7. jes lookn

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <#> "Richard Urban"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >By not terminating correctly any memory used will stay locked and will not
    >be released to the cache.
    >
    >I have seen in Vista where I have has 4 instances of Firefox shown in task
    >manager. I would shut down FF and start it up again an hour later and
    >another instance would start. NO! I didn't have multiple windows open. When
    >I saw the 4 instances all instances of FF were terminated.

    In that case, the application didn't actually close which is a bit of a
    different scenario.

    However, this particular example seems fairly unlikely. Although
    Firefox is known to leave an orphan process running if the shutdown
    fails, new instances of Firefox won't start when a previous instance is
    still running, so you won't actually see multiple Firefox.exe processes
    running unless you're running Firefox in Windows' compatibility mode (or
    under different user/security/etc contexts)

    Dave Warren, Nov 29, 2009