    when I drag it to the desktop it seems to go into never, never land.

    What could cause this?

    Tony

    Anthony Lisanti, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Anthony Lisanti

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Please describe exactly what happens when you drag the exe file to the
    desktop so that we can think of a creative answer.
    I assume you are "right" dragging the exe to the desktop and choosing
    "create shortcut", right?
    What happens then?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 28, 2010

  3. On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:29:02 -0800, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Tony,
    >Please describe exactly what happens when you drag the exe file to the
    >desktop so that we can think of a creative answer.
    >I assume you are "right" dragging the exe to the desktop and choosing
    >"create shortcut", right?
    >What happens then?

    I drag my shortcut to the desktop, the same as I've done for years and
    it's just not there, like poof! Gone. Ive been using and building
    my own machines since 1991, so this is odd to me. I hate to think
    I'm doing a dumb guy move. I have some themes installed that rotate,
    so I thought something wacky like it's stuck on one of the
    backgrounds, but no luck. I can drag it to "Rocket Dock" which I
    have installed, but the icon for a few of the programs changes into a
    "?" .

    This seems to happen on some Open Source stuff that claim windows 7 &
    64 bit OK, so I beleive it must be the program, not Windows at this
    point.

    Tony

    Anthony Lisanti, Jan 28, 2010
  4. "Anthony Lisanti" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:29:02 -0800, Carlos
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tony,
    >>Please describe exactly what happens when you drag the exe file to the
    >>desktop so that we can think of a creative answer.
    >>I assume you are "right" dragging the exe to the desktop and choosing
    >>"create shortcut", right?
    >>What happens then?

    > I drag my shortcut to the desktop, the same as I've done for years and
    > it's just not there, like poof! Gone.

    Try using ProcMon to refine that symptom description? ; )

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 6, 2010
  5. Right click on the file, or a shortcut which launches it, and and select
    Send to then Desktop.

    Dominic Payer, Feb 6, 2010