    Thanks for all hints .....
    Greetings
    Dirk

    Dirk Butz, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Dirk Butz

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Dirk Butz" <> wrote in message
    news:nyXOe.4579$...
    > Has someone experience with the 64-bit-version of Windows XP prof. ?
    > Where can you get the full version ? I heard that you can only get a
    > limited version via Microsoft ? Is that true ?
    > Could we wait ? Someone knows when ?
    > Ideas ? I-adresses ?
    > Thanks for all hints .....
    > Greetings
    > Dirk

    You need a better source of Information.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has been released, and is an OEM only
    purchase.
    It is purchased with a qualifying piece of hardware from and authorized
    vendor.
    Support for OEM versions of Windows is provided by the vendor you buy it
    from, not Microsoft.

    Before you decide to purchase Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, make sure
    that you have a
    64 bit processor. If you are not sure, you most likely do not have a 64 bit
    processor.

    You must also make sure that 64 bit drivers are available for all the
    hardware and peripherals you have. Most hardware and peripherals cannot use
    32 bit drivers under Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. You must check
    the manufacturers website for x64 compatible drivers, and have them
    available *prior* to installing x64. This includes devices *inside* your
    computer like your video card, your audio card, NIC/LAN, etc.

    You may purchase Windows XP Professional at most sites/locations that sell
    computer parts/hardware/peripherals. You might first visit NewEgg. Do
    *NOT* risk buying it from eBay.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Dirk Butz

    John Barnes Guest

    I suggest you do a lot of research on this site BEFORE you buy or install
    x64. Read, read and read.

    John Barnes, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Windows XP Professional x64 is distributed only as a OEM License, which
    means you have to purchase it with qualifying hardware. There is no retail
    full/upgrade edition of XP Pro x64.

    You can purchase it here:
    http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14638&vpn=ZAT-00007&manufacture=Microsoft
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 24, 2005
  5. Dirk Butz

    John Barnes Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050823/index.html

    John Barnes, Aug 24, 2005
  6. LISTEN TO JOHN. He's right. READ. All of us are running x64 Edition. But
    it's not for those who expect to have someone take care of everything for
    them, and who aren't able to research and understand what works and what
    doesn't. Yet. It's only available as an OEM/System Builder version, for the
    very good reason that hardware support from the peripheral manufacturers is
    still somewhat limited. You need to read and understand what is working, and
    what isn't. And then understand what that means for your personal computing
    environment.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Dirk Butz

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:40:01 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    Or listen to Microsoft:

    Q.Why is there no Home x64 Edition of Windows XP? Who should buy Windows XP
    Professional X64 Edition?

    A.These are closely related questions. The initial target audience for
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is anyone who is running into
    performance and memory limits on their 32-bit systems, for example,
    developers, media artists, CAD/CAM, scientific workstations and enthusiasts
    who are running the most demanding applications, and who require the
    capabilities of the Professional Edition of Windows XP. Windows XP Home
    Edition is targeted at the home user and has fewer features. At this point,
    especially with the current limited driver support, Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition is not targeted at the casual home user.

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Dirk Butz

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:11:36 +0200, Jud Hendrix <>
    wrote:

    >Or listen to Microsoft:

    Or in this case Charlie himself actually :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 25, 2005
  9. <ROFLU> -- MS? I wrote that FAQ! :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  10. Dirk Butz

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:41:34 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    ><ROFLU> -- MS? I wrote that FAQ! :)

    That's what I said 5 seconds later :)

    Good FAQ by the way. For me it was clear enough to make my choice.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 25, 2005
  11. Thanks. Glad to hear it did the job for you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005