    and came back the next morning to the same screen.

    I'll write back with any more details that you need, just tell me what to
    look for.
    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Look for Avast anti-virus first.

    John Barnes, Oct 14, 2005

  3. So far, every time we've seen a report of this here, it's been by someone
    who is running Avast! If so, you might try one of the other AV products out
    there. Especially the AVG beta -- I 've always liked AVG.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 14, 2005
  4. I would fall under that category of using Avast AV. Do I need to shut down
    the antivirus before shutting down the comp? Seeing as Avast is really the
    only viable free antivirus for 64 (or at least it was), I'd rather not
    uninstall it.

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Thats a good way of doing since it should automatically load on start up. :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Oct 14, 2005
  6. You are not alone. Some are more stricken than others. Mostly it seems to be
    a sporadic problem, it comes and it goes away. At the moment I am keeping a
    close eye on what my machine is doing moments before I close down. When I go
    to the start menu (sic) to shut down, I have had some success with waiting
    until the screen fades to black/white before hitting the dialog that
    executes the command. Not that I imagine the screen colors to have any
    influence, but the period of waiting might have. You are welcome to report
    back any findings you might have yourself - either with this method of mine
    or anything else of your own creation. Avast is a fine piece of work, we are
    several here who are reluctant to just leave it in the dust. Otherwise,
    right clicking in the system-tray icon and closing Avast, also seems to
    work, but that is a bit of a pest to have to go through all the time.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2005
  7. from a poster on my blog:
    -----
    Avast will not hang your system if you Right Click on the Blue a and left
    click "Stop On-Access Protection".
    When it is finished, hit F5 to write everything to disk and then shutdown or
    boot back into xp32 if you are dual booting

    HTH
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 14, 2005
  8. I had the same issue, not shutting down with Avast. Rightclicked and clicked
    "Stop on-access protection" and x64 shut down.

    But with the latest Avast version, I don´t have the shutdown issue any longer.

    --

    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    P4 3.73GHz EE

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Oct 15, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    don Guest

    have went in to control panel, accounts, and change my log on/off to the
    classic view, and disabled fast user switching. so far this seems to of
    fixed my shutdown problem. I ll report back if it shows up again

    Don

    don, Oct 17, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    don Guest

    Its been a couple of days now, and several shutdown / reboot cycles. and I
    am happy to say that so far I have not had any more problems with the system
    hanging-up during the shut down!!!
    Has anyone else tried this solution?

    Don

    don, Oct 18, 2005
  11. It's early yet, but yes, this IS looking good, shuts down and re-boots with
    that snappy feeling. You just know this is the way it should be. The irony
    of it all, is that I had been thinking for some time to go back to the
    classic Log-on/Log-off but never gotten around to actually do it. This is so
    good, I think even if some other issue will arrise, I will linger.

    Kudos, to you Don, for sharing this with us.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 18, 2005