    on the bottom of the desktop that this is an evaluation copy. Does this mean
    that I have to purchase another copy of Windows XP or is there some way to
    get this version activated? Thanks for any advice

    =?Utf-8?B?bWNsb3Vk?=, Nov 2, 2005

  2. It doesn't sound like the evaluation period, more like an activation issue.
    Your broadband software is not working so you have a bit of problem there
    which is to get it activated. I am afraid you might have to reinstall the
    software or try connecting to a LAN with internet connection and activate
    from there.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 2, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWNsb3Vk?=

    honjo Guest

    If it was not stated in the Ebay website that the pre-installed OS is an
    evaluation copy, then you can go back to the seller and asked for a full
    version of WXP x64 Edition.

    honjo, Nov 2, 2005
  4. mcloud wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Have recently (just over a month ago) bought an AMD 64 bit 3000+ with XP Pro
    > 64 bit preloaded from a reputable site on Ebay.

    One should be very careful buying any software on eBay, as eBay makes
    no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate; they react
    only when someone files a complaint. (And then all that really happens
    is the seller of the pirated software returns using a different alias,
    to continue selling illegitimate licenses.)

    > Not knowing anything about 64
    > bit assumed it was just the latest version of XP.

    It is, but it has special hardware requirements, and not all component
    manufacturers have provided WinXPx64-compatible device drivers.

    > I had problems loading
    > applications Blue Yonder broadband, HP Deskjet software etc..

    Contact the companies in question and inquire about 64-bit versions of
    their products. Be prepared to find and purchase alternatives.

    > .... and gave up for
    > a few weeks. When I bootup the pc it now asks for Windows to be activated. On
    > saying "yes" to this a box appears saying that it is already activated and to
    > "exit". When exiting the welcome screen logs off everytime.

    It may be that your activation has become "unregistered." Try
    this solution, posted by Carey Frisch, MS-MVP:

    Possible Resolution:

    Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.

    Go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
    Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and
    hit enter again.

    > I don't know what
    > to do now as I cannot get the Product ID in control panel until I can login.
    > I have the Product key on the Recovery disk supplied. I remember that it says
    > on the bottom of the desktop that this is an evaluation copy.

    Did you know that you were buying an evaluation license up front, or
    have you been defrauded by the vendor? If the latter, file a complaint
    with eBay, kiss the money good-bye, and go purchase another OS license.

    > Does this mean
    > that I have to purchase another copy of Windows XP or is there some way to
    > get this version activated?

    That's certainly what it sounds like. Even if you do manage to get an
    evaluation license activated, it will only be good for a very short
    time, typically 120 to 180 days. When the evaluation license expires,
    you'll need to replace the operating system -- either by buying a full
    license for WinXPx64 and upgrading, or by formatting the hard drive and
    installing any other OS of your choice.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 3, 2005
  5. "mcloud" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Have recently (just over a month ago) bought an AMD 64 bit 3000+ with XP Pro
    > 64 bit preloaded from a reputable site on Ebay. Not knowing anything about 64
    > bit assumed it was just the latest version of XP. I had problems loading
    > applications Blue Yonder broadband, HP Deskjet software etc.. and gave up for
    > a few weeks. When I bootup the pc it now asks for Windows to be activated. On
    > saying "yes" to this a box appears saying that it is already activated and to
    > "exit". When exiting the welcome screen logs off everytime. I don't know what
    > to do now as I cannot get the Product ID in control panel until I can login.
    > I have the Product key on the Recovery disk supplied. I remember that it says
    > on the bottom of the desktop that this is an evaluation copy. Does this mean
    > that I have to purchase another copy of Windows XP or is there some way to
    > get this version activated? Thanks for any advice

    Thanks for all the advice. I will go back to the vendor and ask for a full
    version of Win XP Pro 64 bit as this was definitely not stated on any part of
    the item description and in the meantime will try suggestion to boot up into
    safe mode and see if I have become unregistered. This is the first time I
    have used XP outside of work and presume that if everything is normal with a
    new/bought verlsion,, I should be prompted to activate - is that right?
    Thanks again

    =?Utf-8?B?bWNsb3Vk?=, Nov 3, 2005
  6. What seemed to have happen was, you did not activate within the grace period
    given. Which 14 to 30 days depending on the version.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 3, 2005
  7. Hello,
    While in safe mode, rename the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files located in
    \Windows\system32 folder.
    This will force activation on the following boot, but should remove the
    message that you are already activated message.
    Sometimes if these files get corrupted, they can cause this type of
    problem.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?bWNsb3Vk?= <>
    <Subject: RE: Windows 64 bit activation
    <Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 04:00:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <
    <
    <"mcloud" wrote:
    <
    <> Hi there,
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 3, 2005
  8. Thanks for that tip Darrell :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 4, 2005