Windows 64 and Virtual PC 2004

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TlNXREFWRQ==?=, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??
    =?Utf-8?B?TlNXREFWRQ==?=, Nov 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TlNXREFWRQ==?=

    Don Awalt Guest

    I don't believe you can. You can run the next version of Virtual Server,
    which was in beta but should be out pretty soon.

    Don Awalt, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Don't right you can't though Virtual Server 2005 R2 can and you can use your
    existing virtual machines with it. Additionally you can use VMWare Player to
    run those VMs on x64 too and best of all it's free.

    Andrew Ahearne, Nov 12, 2005
  4. You can't. Virtual PC doesn't support x64 Edition. The soon to be released
    Virtual Server 2005 R2 will support x64 Edition as a host, but not as a
    guest. VMWare 5.0 supports x64 as a host, and the soon to be releases VMWare
    5.5 supports x64 as a guest and as a host.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TlNXREFWRQ==?=

    Mike Guest

    NSWDAVE wrote:
    > How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

    I have just tried VMWare and Virtual PC, on 32 bit at first before
    transferring to Windows64.
    VMWare is the best for technical reasons, Virtual PC for ease of use.
    Virtual PC for me has limitations, desktop graphics setup is too
    limited. VMware is better, seems to be faster and is the one I'm going
    for. You can get a 30 day copy of the beta version 5.5 direct from
    VMWare. Its worth having a trial especially as it cost nothing.
    Mike
    Mike, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Andre, I think that is only available to customers who subscribe to Software
    Assurance.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
  8. An edition of VPC for x64 has not yet been announced. If it is it will
    probably not be an update to VPC 2004 but will be a new product. Do not buy
    VPC today with the expectation that it will eventually be upgraded for
    64-bits for free. It may work that way but the new edition of Virtual
    Server did not.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Yeah, thats where I read it, but you never know, they could make a retail
    option too.
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2005
  10. No retail edition will appear. It is targeted to volume license users as a
    value-add feature. No new bits for VPC are on the horizon based on
    announcements to date. The next bits for VPC are likely to be a VPC Next
    (2007?) and don't expect an upgrade path from VPC 2004 SP1 to VPC Next. It
    most likely will be an R2 rather than an SP2. One reason is that since VPC
    2004 SP1 can't be installed on x64 one could not apply a service pack to it
    that enables x64 support. Catch 22. One would have to have a copy that was
    already x64 compatible in first place. Hence, R2.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Oh well, Virtual PC 2007 it is then. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2005