windows 3.11 add font dialogue still in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jonathan Walker, Aug 19, 2007.

  1. Jonathan Walker, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    Vista Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://bink.nu/photos/news_article_images/category1022/picture13552.aspx
    >
    > "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont be
    > changed. And they closed issue.... ""
    >

    > --
    > Jonathan Walker
    >
    > "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    > dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."

    Old news. It was noted by the beta testers before vista was released .MS
    don't care, they are more interested in making money, even if much of the
    underlying features of vista are identical and copied from xp, 2000, and
    prior versions.
    Vista, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > http://bink.nu/photos/news_article_images/category1022/picture13552.aspx
    >
    > "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont be
    > changed. And they closed issue.... ""

    The add font dialog works perfectly fine. I fail to see the problem - it
    looks to me like just another bunch of whiners complaining about an
    irrelevancy.

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  4. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:38:49 +1200, Cadae wrote:

    >> "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont
    >> be changed. And they closed issue.... ""

    > The add font dialog works perfectly fine. I fail to see the problem

    Yeah - an inconsistant GUI is the problem that you fail to see.

    Icons from WIN3.11, WIN4.0, and WinNT5.1 stil in use within WinNT6.0 (aka
    Vi$ta)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:38:49 +1200, Cadae wrote:
    >
    >>> "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont
    >>> be changed. And they closed issue.... ""

    >> The add font dialog works perfectly fine. I fail to see the problem

    > Yeah - an inconsistant GUI is the problem that you fail to see.
    >
    > Icons from WIN3.11, WIN4.0, and WinNT5.1 stil in use within WinNT6.0 (aka
    > Vi$ta)

    Installing fonts by using that add-font action is the old NT way of doing
    things - so the dialog box is consistent for those old-time users who may be
    used to doing that way. In some ways its a fun easter-egg, which I would be
    sad to see dropped.

    The new way (since Windows95 !) is to simply copy the fonts to the
    directory - easier, simpler and no font-add dialog box required.

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  6. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:04:30 +1200, Cadae wrote:

    > Installing fonts by using that add-font action is the old NT way of doing
    > things - so the dialog box is consistent for those old-time users who may
    > be used to doing that way. In some ways its a fun easter-egg, which I
    > would be sad to see dropped.

    "Easter-eggs" within an operating system???

    Most people would call your easter-eggs "bugs" or "viruses" or "flaws".

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:04:30 +1200, Cadae wrote:
    >
    >> Installing fonts by using that add-font action is the old NT way of doing
    >> things - so the dialog box is consistent for those old-time users who may
    >> be used to doing that way. In some ways its a fun easter-egg, which I
    >> would be sad to see dropped.

    > "Easter-eggs" within an operating system???
    >
    > Most people would call your easter-eggs "bugs" or "viruses" or "flaws".

    I didn't claim it to be an easter-egg - it is easter-egg like. And far from
    a flaw, its GUI is particularly suited to those who would be using such an
    ancient action.

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  8. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:20:33 +1200, Cadae wrote:

    > I didn't claim it to be an easter-egg - it is easter-egg like. And far
    > from a flaw, its GUI is particularly suited to those who would be using
    > such an ancient action.

    It is an inconsistancy in the GUI. By definition that is a flaw, or a bug.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:20:33 +1200, Cadae wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't claim it to be an easter-egg - it is easter-egg like. And far
    >> from a flaw, its GUI is particularly suited to those who would be using
    >> such an ancient action.

    > It is an inconsistancy in the GUI. By definition that is a flaw, or a bug.

    So Adobe products shouldn't be used on Windows, because they don't conform
    exactly to the Windows GUI ?

    You're being way too precious about the GUI.

    PC
    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  10. Jonathan Walker

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 20 Aug 2007 10:50:46 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > http://bink.nu/photos/news_article_images/category1022/picture13552.aspx
    >
    > "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont be
    > changed. And they closed issue.... ""

    Piss off you Commie bastard. For starters, Linux is based off archaic
    antiquated Unix systems of the 70's. Oh well, at least back then Unix
    wasn't an OS supported on the back of communists.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Aug 20, 2007
  11. Jonathan Walker

    sam Guest

    Will Spencer wrote:
    > On 20 Aug 2007 10:50:46 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >> http://bink.nu/photos/news_article_images/category1022/picture13552.aspx
    >>
    >> "" I submited a bug report about this, and i got back: "BY DESIGN" wont be
    >> changed. And they closed issue.... ""

    > Piss off you Commie bastard. For starters, Linux is based off archaic
    > antiquated Unix systems of the 70's. Oh well, at least back then Unix
    > wasn't an OS supported on the back of communists.
    >
    > -ws

    You are right, but it isn't a bad thing.
    All computers are based on Unix systems of the 70s.
    Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson were two of the most important pioneers
    in computers.
    Windows from NT to Vista is POSIX compliant and Microsoft considers that
    to be a benchmarking process.
    BTW the term POSIX was coined by Richard Stallman.
    How bad does that stick in your little ranting rightard throat. ;-)
    sam, Aug 21, 2007
  12. In message <>, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > "Easter-eggs" within an operating system???

    Hey, I can remember when MacOS 7.5 had a little breakout game hidden in the
    about-box. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 21, 2007
  13. On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:40:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> "Easter-eggs" within an operating system???

    > Hey, I can remember when MacOS 7.5 had a little breakout game hidden in
    > the about-box. :)

    And now MacOS is obsolite, now replaced by BSD with a MAC GUI.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 21, 2007