    OS (X64/EMT chips) or do they have to be ported to 64 bit?

    Thanks,
    - Arnie

    Arnie, May 2, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006

  3. Arnie

    Arnie Guest

    Bad news, but thanks anyway Andre.

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Arnie, May 2, 2006
  4. Arnie:
    I'm not quite sure about 32-bit services not running on x64.
    Winvnc (a.k.a. RealVNC) installs a 32-bit services which runs on x64 with no
    problems.
    So, there exists at least one that works.
    Will there be others?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 2, 2006
  5. I guess it probably depends on the type of service, if the Service is device
    driver dependent, then it will need to be 64-bit, if its software based,
    then I don't see why it cannot run on x64.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006
  6. 32bit services will run, i have one i've written for a client and i
    run/debug it under Win2003 R2 x64.

    A service is just a program that has a defined interface that allows it to
    receive messages from the service manager (telling it to start, stop, be
    notified of hardware changes, ...).

    The service does not run 'within' the service manager, it is spawned as a
    distinct process that can be viewed in Task Manager.
    As such, even though the service manager is 64bit it can spawn either 32 or
    64bit services.

    A service is still bound by the normal rules of an app though - a 32bit app
    can only use 32bit dlls, and 64bit apps can only use 64bit dlls.

    cmk

    Chris Kushnir, May 2, 2006
  7. Well, I don't know, I think its time for Charlie and Darrell to come clear
    this up.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 2, 2006
  8. Arnie

    Admiral Q Guest

    >I guess it probably depends on the type of service, if the Service is
    >device driver dependent, then it will need to be 64-bit, if its software
    >based, then I don't see why it cannot run on x64.
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >
    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> Arnie:
    >> I'm not quite sure about 32-bit services not running on x64.
    >> Winvnc (a.k.a. RealVNC) installs a 32-bit services which runs on x64 with
    >> no
    >> problems.
    >> So, there exists at least one that works.
    >> Will there be others?
    >> Carlos
    >>
    >> "Arnie" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bad news, but thanks anyway Andre.
    >>>
    >>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...

    Andre,
    I'd tend to agree, depending on what the service is for - software
    x64/x86 shouldn't matter, for a hardware driver/interface I'd venture x64
    would be what you need.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    Google is your friend!

    Admiral Q, May 3, 2006
  9. Yeah, I just wish we could get a little reassurance from Charlie or Darrell.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 3, 2006
  10. Chris is right. There's no inherent reason that a service can't be 32-bit
    that I'm aware of. The only requirement is that anything that runs _at the
    kernel level_ needs to be 64-bit. So, if you look at services running on
    your machine, you're likely to see that you have 2 .NET Runtime versions.
    One 32-bit, one 64-bit. And on my machine, you'll see "TiVo Beacon" running
    as a service. And I assure you, they haven't got a 64-bit version! Just
    because some thing is a service, doesn't make it inherently kernel mode.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2006
  11. Correct. Though the natives tend to think I know more than I do, in this
    case. All they had to do was look at what's running on their machines as a
    service...

    Thanks.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2006
  12. Yes, they can run as a service. IF they have no dependency on a kernel mode
    driver. If they do, they'll need a 64-bit version of the driver.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2006
  13. You mean the processes tab of Task Manager, the ones defined by *32 beside
    their name?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 3, 2006
  14. Arnie

    Arnie Guest

    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I am much happier now :)
    Our services don't go anywhere near the hardware so I am assuming
    they'll work.

    Unfortunately, we don't have an X64 box to test on. The question
    of whether we could run on W2K3/64 came from one of our
    customers. Pretty embarassing they have better hardware than we
    do :-(

    Thanks again,
    - Arnie

    Arnie, May 3, 2006
  15. Chris Kushnir, May 3, 2006
  16. Ah, but look at this as an opportunity to justify new hardware!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2006
  17. Or just buy a really cheap AMD Sempron 2600 system. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 3, 2006