Windows 2k "SP4.5" released yesterday

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    H.O.G Guest

    H.O.G, Jun 30, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Mutlley wrote:
    > I notice that it requires you to validate your copy of Winblows before
    > you can down load it..

    Actually you don't have to, you can skip the validation and download it
    anyway.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    H.O.G Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:17:48 +1200, Mutlley <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >H.O.G <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:51:45 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >><> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>~35MB of updates that were released since SP4.

    >>And a URL:
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...36-1179-431c-80e6-60a494d3823d&DisplayLang=en
    >>
    >>or http://tinyurl.com/a2xua
    >>
    >>Good on MS. I wish they did this more often.

    >I notice that it requires you to validate your copy of Winblows before
    >you can down load it..

    Problem being?

    (And actually, you can choose not to - it's more for those that are
    unaware they have a pirated copy of Windows, eg if they thought they
    bought a full version, but were ripped off by the dealer who installed
    a pirated copy).

    H.O.G, Jul 4, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >~35MB of updates that were released since SP4.

    Why the fractional numbering?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>~35MB of updates that were released since SP4.

    > Why the fractional numbering?

    because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 17, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>~35MB of updates that were released since SP4.

    >> Why the fractional numbering?

    >because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    But isn't that what a service pack is?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>Why the fractional numbering?

    >>because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    > But isn't that what a service pack is?

    it depends on what you want to call a collection of updates...
    I call it a SP, hence why I called it "SP4.5" rather than collection of
    updates.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >>>because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    >> But isn't that what a service pack is?

    >it depends on what you want to call a collection of updates...
    >I call it a SP...

    So you call a collection of updates a service pack.

    >...hence why I called it "SP4.5" rather than collection of
    >updates.

    So you don't call a collection of updates a service pack.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>But isn't that what a service pack is?

    >>it depends on what you want to call a collection of updates...
    >>I call it a SP...

    > So you call a collection of updates a service pack.

    yes, I call a collection of updates a service pack

    >>...hence why I called it "SP4.5" rather than collection of
    >>updates.

    > So you don't call a collection of updates a service pack.

    I call it a fucking service pack, I used the quotes on it, because MS
    doesn't call it a service pack, for **** sake you pedantic italian(just
    a guess), I called it SP4.5, MS didn't, it's only a name anyway.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,

    > >> Why the fractional numbering?

    > >because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    > But isn't that what a service pack is?

    No, SP's are cummulative. The Rollup isn't (needs the SP) - simple eh.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 19, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    >central.gen.new zealand says...
    >> In article <>,

    >> >because it is not a SP as such, just a collection of updates.

    >> But isn't that what a service pack is?

    >No, SP's are cummulative. The Rollup isn't (needs the SP) - simple eh.

    Ah. So you must have SP4 installed before you can do the SP4.5 rollup?

    Then it shouldn't be called an "SP" at all, should it? How about "RU"
    (for "Roll Up"), as in "RU4+0.5" (indicating it's an addon to SP4)?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    H.O.G Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:30:53 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> spoke these fine words:

    >In article <>,
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, ldo@geek-
    >>central.gen.new zealand says...

    >>> But isn't that what a service pack is?

    >>No, SP's are cummulative. The Rollup isn't (needs the SP) - simple eh.

    >Ah. So you must have SP4 installed before you can do the SP4.5 rollup?
    >
    >Then it shouldn't be called an "SP" at all, should it? How about "RU"
    >(for "Roll Up"), as in "RU4+0.5" (indicating it's an addon to SP4)?

    Please grow a brain. Buy one, if you are incapable.

    It's pretty bloody obvious what it was. You're being deliberately
    pedantic, and making a cock of yourself.

    Dave posted the link to help out others, and all you can do is carry
    on like this? You're worse than the spelling police.

    H.O.G, Jul 19, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    > >central.gen.new zealand says...

    > >> But isn't that what a service pack is?

    > >No, SP's are cummulative. The Rollup isn't (needs the SP) - simple eh.

    > Ah. So you must have SP4 installed before you can do the SP4.5 rollup?
    >
    > Then it shouldn't be called an "SP" at all, should it? How about "RU"
    > (for "Roll Up"), as in "RU4+0.5" (indicating it's an addon to SP4)?

    Call it whatever you like, AFAIC. -MS call it: "Update Rollup 1 for
    Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4)". OK.

    If you're stupid you can apply it without SP4. Repeatedly if you like.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 19, 2005