    I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.

    I DO NOT want to share this drive.

    Thanks for any help.
    Dingus, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Dingus

    PC Guest

    "Dingus" <> wrote in message
    news:YCHVe.5922$...
    > Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
    > share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >

    > The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
    > In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
    > allowed.
    >

    > The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
    >
    > I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >
    > I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Dingus

    I'm a bit hazy on the details, but the C$ share is allways there from what I
    remember, you can not delete it, it's the way W2K works.
    The fact you do not have a 'hand' under the drive/folder icon means the
    drive is not shared.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Dingus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
    > share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >

    > The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
    > In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
    > allowed.
    >

    > The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
    >
    > I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >
    > I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Dingus

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    > @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >
    >> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I
    >> disable share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >>

    >> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is
    >> C$. In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to
    >> max. allowed.
    >>

    >> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >>
    >> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Dingus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    >> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >>
    >>> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I
    >>> disable share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >>>

    >>> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is
    >>> C$. In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to
    >>> max. allowed.
    >>>

    >>> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My
    >>> computer.
    >>>
    >>> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >>>
    >>> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>

    >> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...

    Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet. It's
    convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Dingus

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>> "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    >>> @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...
    >>

    > Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
    > It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*. :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Dingus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...
    >>>

    >> Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
    >> It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*. :)
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)

    Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
    19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an executive
    inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have a BB hook.
    But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my laptop that I can
    dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or something like that
    allows one to access the NG(s).

    Duane :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Dingus

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
    >>> It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*. :)
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)
    >>

    > Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
    > 19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an
    > executive inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have
    > a BB hook. But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my
    > laptop that I can dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or
    > something like that allows one to access the NG(s).
    >
    > Duane :)

    NetZero doesn't have their own news servers. They suggest checking for free
    nntp servers.

    I tossed a quick note to PeoplePC to see what they have to say <g>. I've
    used this one for dialup when I've been out of town on vacation before, and
    the connection was always good.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Dingus

    Dingus Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    > @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >
    >> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
    >> share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >>

    >> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
    >> In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
    >> allowed.
    >>

    >> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
    >>
    >> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >>
    >> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks for the help. Instructions at website worked great. That is a very
    good user friendly site. Please recommend others.
    Thanks again,

    D.
    Dingus, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Dingus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)
    >>>

    >> Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
    >> 19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an
    >> executive inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have
    >> a BB hook. But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my
    >> laptop that I can dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or
    >> something like that allows one to access the NG(s).
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > NetZero doesn't have their own news servers. They suggest checking for
    > free nntp servers.
    >
    > I tossed a quick note to PeoplePC to see what they have to say <g>.
    > I've used this one for dialup when I've been out of town on vacation
    > before, and the connection was always good.

    PeoplePC I'll check it out.

    Thanks

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Dingus

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dingus" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dingus" <> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
    >> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >>
    >>> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I
    >>> disable share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
    >>>

    >>> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is
    >>> C$. In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to
    >>> max. allowed.
    >>>

    >>> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My
    >>> computer.
    >>>
    >>> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
    >>>
    >>> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>

    >> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks for the help. Instructions at website worked great. That is a
    > very good user friendly site. Please recommend others.
    > Thanks again,

    For a Win 2K machine that has a direct connection to the Internet, you
    may want to *harden* the O/S to attack.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/securingwin2000.htm
    http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

    Take note on Ipsec in the link above, which can be used to supplement any
    personnel firewall solution you may be using on the machine.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    You can implement Ipsec behind the PFW solution with the AnaLogX's SECPOL
    rules and you can review the rules and learn from them. Until you learn
    how to make the rules, the AnalogX rules will block downloads using high
    port numbers, which you disable IPsec to do the download or learn how to
    open the port using IPsec rules.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813878

    You should look for yourself from time to time with the proper tools and
    NOT depend upon the PFW and malware detection solutions like crutches.

    You can put a short-cut for Active Ports in the Startup folder to watch
    connection to the machine at boot and login process, which malware can
    beat any PFW solution and be done before the PFW solution can get to the
    TCP/IP and stop it. You can set the Refresh rate to High to see the
    action.

    Long version

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short version

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Dingus

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting
    >>> Sept 19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an
    >>> executive inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't
    >>> have a BB hook. But they do have telephones, a line in the room,
    >>> for my laptop that I can dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if
    >>> Netzero or something like that allows one to access the NG(s).
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> NetZero doesn't have their own news servers. They suggest checking
    >> for free nntp servers.
    >>
    >> I tossed a quick note to PeoplePC to see what they have to say <g>.
    >> I've used this one for dialup when I've been out of town on vacation
    >> before, and the connection was always good.
    >>

    > PeoplePC I'll check it out.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Duane :)

    Yeah - they do have a news server - news.peoplepc.com.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005