Windows 2k and Windows XP X64 home network

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. I have just bult my 2nd home computer and was looking for an OS to run on it.
    I thought I would give x64 a try. One of the main snags I have is that there
    is no 64 bit driver for the wireless network card that I have therefore I am
    forced to network to my old computer running Windows 2000 Pro in order to
    acces the internet. I would also like to do some file sharing (without using
    the usb stick ;-)).

    I have read what I can for networking a XP and a 2000 computer but I still
    cannot get the computers to see each other. I am a relative newbie to
    networking protocols etc so when the other threads mentioned IP address
    changes etc. I tend to get a bit lost. Actually, if I perform a ipconfig on
    the x64 computer I get:
    Autoconfiguration IP Address : (a valid IP address)
    and then 2 separate places where it says:
    IP address: ?

    I have downloaded the latest 64 bit drivers from the MSI (my motherboard)
    website and installed them and they seem to be fine.

    Can somebody please help me with a step by step (for dummies) solution.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Ollie wrote:
    > I have just bult my 2nd home computer and was looking for an OS to run on it.
    > I thought I would give x64 a try. One of the main snags I have is that there
    > is no 64 bit driver for the wireless network card that I have therefore I am
    > forced to network to my old computer running Windows 2000 Pro in order to
    > acces the internet. I would also like to do some file sharing (without using
    > the usb stick ;-)).
    >
    > I have read what I can for networking a XP and a 2000 computer but I still
    > cannot get the computers to see each other. I am a relative newbie to
    > networking protocols etc so when the other threads mentioned IP address
    > changes etc. I tend to get a bit lost. Actually, if I perform a ipconfig on
    > the x64 computer I get:
    > Autoconfiguration IP Address : (a valid IP address)
    > and then 2 separate places where it says:
    > IP address: ?
    >
    > I have downloaded the latest 64 bit drivers from the MSI (my motherboard)
    > website and installed them and they seem to be fine.
    >
    > Can somebody please help me with a step by step (for dummies) solution.
    >
    > Thanks

    On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    is either disabled or set to allow exceptions for file and print sharing.

    On the Win2K PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 19, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Check http://www.planetamd64.com maybe they have some new drivers that might
    work. And have you checked the manufacturers website?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 19, 2005
  5. I updated somewhat www.hcl.ms , so you could look in the Networking section.
    Notably MSI has a few motherboards with onboard WiFi chipsets featuring the
    RALink 2500 chipset, for which there is no native driver in 1830, but an OEM
    driver you could download.
    Good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  6. On both computers I log in as the administrator with full permission to all
    folders. I had disabled firewalls on both computers. I have also used the
    same Workgroup names, but no luck. They don't see each other.

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Also ensure that they unique names in the workgroup too.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 19, 2005
  8. Hi, I have already downloaded the 64bit drivers for the lan adapters from the
    MSI website. No go :-(

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  9. Hi,
    On the 2K computer I am using a D-Link DE-528 PCI adapter card, this one is
    working fine because when I boot up the new computer with a version of 2K the
    network works fine.

    On the x64 computer I am using the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 adapter which is
    built into the motherboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum). I have downloaded the
    64bit drivers from the website of MSI.

    I hope that his helps, as all the guides I have read make it sound so easy,
    "Just let the wizard do the work".

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  10. They do have unique names.

    Something extra, when I have a look at the properties of the connection on
    the x64 computer it has no IP address (0.0.0).

    Why would this be?

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  11. Did you check the properties of the connection and try assign a ip address
    to it.

    Do this on XP Pro x64, right click My Network Places on the desktop or Start
    Menu, choose click "Properties" > select your ethernet conncection, right
    click again, click properties > select the "General" tab > under "This
    connection uawa the following items: select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) >
    Properties > select "Use the following IP address:

    IP address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

    Select "Use the following DNS server addresses:
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.150

    Do the same procedure of XP 32 bit, but change the IP address to 192.168.0.2

    Restart both machines at least 2 times and see if they appear in each others
    My Network Places.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 19, 2005
  12. "Ollie" wrote:

    > Hi, I have already downloaded the 64bit drivers for the lan adapters from the
    > MSI website. No go :-(
    >
    > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    >
    > > Check http://www.planetamd64.com maybe they have some new drivers that might
    > > work. And have you checked the manufacturers website?
    > > --
    > > Andre
    > >
    > > "Ollie" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have just bult my 2nd home computer and was looking for an OS to run on
    > > >it.
    > > > I thought I would give x64 a try. One of the main snags I have is that
    > > > there
    > > > is no 64 bit driver for the wireless network card that I have therefore I
    > > > am
    > > > forced to network to my old computer running Windows 2000 Pro in order to
    > > > acces the internet. I would also like to do some file sharing (without
    > > > using
    > > > the usb stick ;-)).
    > > >
    > > > I have read what I can for networking a XP and a 2000 computer but I still
    > > > cannot get the computers to see each other. I am a relative newbie to
    > > > networking protocols etc so when the other threads mentioned IP address
    > > > changes etc. I tend to get a bit lost. Actually, if I perform a ipconfig
    > > > on
    > > > the x64 computer I get:
    > > > Autoconfiguration IP Address : (a valid IP address)
    > > > and then 2 separate places where it says:
    > > > IP address: ?
    > > >
    > > > I have downloaded the latest 64 bit drivers from the MSI (my motherboard)
    > > > website and installed them and they seem to be fine.
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody please help me with a step by step (for dummies) solution.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    -It seems to me that Bruce covered pretty well the networking aspects with
    x64 Pro, which is much more protected (firewall & RPC defaults) than XP. For
    instance it's always easy to see the 32-bit shares from x64, but not the
    other way around.

    Also it seems you have the MSI MS-7125-010, which features 2 different GbE
    PHY :
    - 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E1111 PHY
    - 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvel 88E8053
    and the MSI MS-7100-020 (SLI version) has the following :
    1st LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by nForce4 SLI
    - 2nd PCI Express LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E8053

    Hopefully you have x64 drivers coverage for all your different GbE...

    OTOH, you could always tell us what Wireless card you have, so that if no
    driver is found, it could be publicized to freeze other sales....

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 19, 2005
  13. Hi Andre,

    Thanks for the help, I am at work at the moment and will try this this
    evening when I get home.

    However, just two quick questions, shouldn't I be allocated an IP address
    automatically? And, my 2k machine has a wireless connection to a router, is
    it safe to presume that this connection is not affected by changing the IP
    address of the other lan adapter?

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 20, 2005
  14. Hi Chris,

    I have tried the first part of the info that Bruce sent, to no avail.
    Admittedly I have not yet read through all the articles in the links that he
    sent but I will do that this evening when I get home.

    Here is the link to my motherboard
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637

    I have downloaded the 64 bit drivers from the MSI website.

    The wireless network card that I have is the Sitecom USB WL-113 I have
    written them a mail requesting a 64bit driver, I will let you know what they
    say. They have already made other 64bit drivers available for some of their
    other network cards so I presume that I will get one soon.

    Thanks for the help

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 20, 2005
  15. "Ollie" wrote:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > I have tried the first part of the info that Bruce sent, to no avail.
    > Admittedly I have not yet read through all the articles in the links that he
    > sent but I will do that this evening when I get home.
    >
    > Here is the link to my motherboard
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637
    >
    > I have downloaded the 64 bit drivers from the MSI website.
    >
    > The wireless network card that I have is the Sitecom USB WL-113 I have
    > written them a mail requesting a 64bit driver, I will let you know what they
    > say. They have already made other 64bit drivers available for some of their
    > other network cards so I presume that I will get one soon.
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    >
    > > "Ollie" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi, I have already downloaded the 64bit drivers for the lan adapters from the
    > > > MSI website. No go :-(

    > > -It seems to me that Bruce covered pretty well the networking aspects with
    > > x64 Pro, which is much more protected (firewall & RPC defaults) than XP. For
    > > instance it's always easy to see the 32-bit shares from x64, but not the
    > > other way around.
    > >
    > > Also it seems you have the MSI MS-7125-010, which features 2 different GbE
    > > PHY :
    > > - 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E1111 PHY
    > > - 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvel 88E8053
    > > and the MSI MS-7100-020 (SLI version) has the following :
    > > 1st LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by nForce4 SLI
    > > - 2nd PCI Express LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E8053
    > >
    > > Hopefully you have x64 drivers coverage for all your different GbE...
    > >
    > > OTOH, you could always tell us what Wireless card you have, so that if no
    > > driver is found, it could be publicized to freeze other sales....

    Ollie,
    Indeed Ralink wrote drivers for the RA2500 that Sitecom uses in the WL-112 &
    WL-115...
    From what I gather, the WL-113 is a USB wireless adapter with a ZyDAS ZD1211
    chipset, for which the source has been available for a while to the Linux
    community,
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/zd1211/ ,
    http://linux-lc100020.sourceforge.net/

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 20, 2005
  16. Hi Chris,
    Does this mean that I can use the Linux driver for Windows x64?

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 20, 2005
  17. XP does that, but I think its in cases where both machines are both XP, I
    have had issues networking my XP laptop and 2000 desktop because issues with
    automatically assigning IP addresses, so I manually do it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  18. Hey, it's working. Thanks Andre.

    Now I just need to get sitecom sorted and I'm away

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 20, 2005
  19. Great, glad I could help!

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  20. Actually I spoke to soon, when I put my firewall back on on the 2k computer
    it blocks the connection, but that should be no problem solving.

    Thanks again

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xsaWU=?=, Jun 21, 2005