Windows 2003 small business server question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jim P, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Jim P

    Jim P Guest

    We are setting up a small company within our present company and we would
    like to
    set up a server for the following type of work.

    The server will have 2003 small business server installed along with
    Peachtree complete accounting.
    The partners at our location will have full access to the Peachtree software
    and the partners outside of the company
    will be able to view and print the data from their location.

    The server will only be used for remote access to the Peachtree software.
    Will Microsoft Terminal Services work with this type of arrangement?
    I have heard that you cannot run Terminal Services along with 2003 SBS. Is
    this correct?
    Will I need another version of 2003 server or am I ok with what I presently
    have?

    Is there an easier way to be able to access software like Peachtree from
    in/outside of the company?
    I have thought about programs like PCanywhere and Radmin, but we will need
    multiple connections at times.

    any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Jim P
    Jim P, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Jim P

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jim P" <Enamanga (spam) @yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We are setting up a small company within our present company and we would
    > like to
    > set up a server for the following type of work.
    >
    > The server will have 2003 small business server installed along with
    > Peachtree complete accounting.
    > The partners at our location will have full access to the Peachtree
    > software and the partners outside of the company
    > will be able to view and print the data from their location.
    >
    > The server will only be used for remote access to the Peachtree software.
    > Will Microsoft Terminal Services work with this type of arrangement?
    > I have heard that you cannot run Terminal Services along with 2003 SBS. Is
    > this correct?

    You needed to verify that I don't know.

    > Will I need another version of 2003 server or am I ok with what I
    > presently have?
    >
    > Is there an easier way to be able to access software like Peachtree from
    > in/outside of the company?

    What you need is a VPN solution something like AT&T Extranet or others that
    is going to allow your outside users to connect to the network in a secure
    situation.

    > I have thought about programs like PCanywhere and Radmin, but we will need
    > multiple connections at times.

    PCAW is not going to get you anywhere or any software like that as only one
    user can be connected to the host machine..

    There is also what is know as Global Connect networking solutions that are
    out there like the one that's being used by Keane the consulting company
    that I actually sub contract through. In order for me to fill out my
    PeopleSoft time sheet, I use a browser and login on to their Global Connect
    network to fill out the timesheet and I am right there on their network and
    have access to many of their Global applications. The Global Connect
    solution does allow connection back to the client machine to do reporting
    and allows one to print reports that are sent back to the client machine and
    print on a printer at the client site through the browser. The one that
    Keane uses is a secured connection and uses Passport Authentication and I
    must use a user-id and password to access Keane's Global Connect site.

    You also have Citrix Terminal Server too, which allows a secure VPN
    connetion with the client machine and the server through a browser which
    uses NT Autentication and allows applications to be run via the browser at
    the server with printing of reports back to client machine's printer or
    network printer.
    ..
    You may also want to drop a post to comp.security.firewalls as there a Top
    Guns over there that do what you are wanting to do on a routine basis in
    setting up the solutions you're trying to implement.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Jim P

    Fakename Guest

    "Any suggestions?" you ask?

    Hire a professional or you'll end up costing yourself more in the long
    run in downtime and frustration. If it's an opinion you're looking for,
    get multiple consultations... bla bla bla.

    Look, you're some sort of a professional right? Don't treat this like
    like a hobby project. It's not responsible when you're dealing with
    financial data.

    Fakename, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Jim P

    Jim P Guest

    Thanks for your .02 cents
    FYI: Installed it and everything works fine.

    Jim P, Dec 22, 2005