Windows 2003 Server X64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by john, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. john

    john Guest

    I have an interesting problem with the installation of the OEM version of
    this operating system.

    1st: the OEM Version is the STANDARD version of the Operating System.

    2nd: I have previously (and currently) installed the Trial Version of this
    operating system and had very little difficulties getting all the drivers up
    and running. The trial version is the ENTERPRISE version of the Operating
    System.

    3rd: I cannot install the OEM Version of this operating system without
    getting fatal error messages during the installation sequence.

    I have even burned a fresh version of the CD thinking the reader may have
    trouble reading it. No dice. I am at the point were I am thinking about
    calling Microsoft to get them to ship me another copy of the CD.

    Because of the differences between the trial version, "enterprise" and the
    OEM version "standard", I am unable to try repair using the new CD. (The
    key will not work in this scenario).

    For those who want more information, my system consists of:

    Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9 MB
    1 GB RAM in Dual mode
    ASUS 6200 Video
    2 ATA HDs
    2 DVD/CD Recorders

    and I have been technically involved with this class of computer both
    hardware and software for over 30 years.

    IF anyone else experienced this problem or has some constructive comments, I
    would appreciate them.

    Thanks

    John
    john, Dec 10, 2005

  2. It seems you are trying to upgrade the Trial version of Windows Server 2003
    x64 Enterprise Edition with the Full OEM version of Windows Server 2003 x64
    Standard Edition. This scenario is not possible, you would be downgrading.
    Do a clean install of the Standard edition.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 10, 2005

  3. john

    john Guest

    Andre

    The Oem attempted installations I was referring to (in 3rd) were clean
    installs. As I said, they did not work.

    The only reason I tried what you said is because I could not get the clean
    installations to work.

    I am well aware of the differences and the issues.

    John

    john, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Hello John,
    What were the fatal errors that you were getting during setup?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "john" <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Subject: Re: Windows 2003 Server X64
    <Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:03:42 -0500
    <
    <Andre
    <
    <The Oem attempted installations I was referring to (in 3rd) were clean
    <installs. As I said, they did not work.
    <
    <The only reason I tried what you said is because I could not get the clean
    <installations to work.
    <
    <I am well aware of the differences and the issues.
    <
    <John
    <
    <
    <
    <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    <> It seems you are trying to upgrade the Trial version of Windows Server
    <> 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition with the Full OEM version of Windows Server
    <> 2003 x64 Standard Edition. This scenario is not possible, you would be
    <> downgrading. Do a clean install of the Standard edition.
    <> --
    <> Andre
    <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <>
    <> "john" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>>I have an interesting problem with the installation of the OEM version of
    <>> this operating system.
    <>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Dec 10, 2005
  5. john

    john Guest

    Darrell

    I am sending this to the group because it may be of value to others.

    I got around to working on the OEM version of Windows 2003 Server X64 again
    today.

    Before I put the CD into the drive I maded some minor mods to the hardware
    in my system. I replaced one of the 2 CD/DVD drives, replaced the IDE cable
    and changed the CD/DVD drives to Cable Select. . I also repartitioned one
    of the old partitions to allow for adding another clean primary partition to
    the system.

    I have a hard time believing any of these changes would significantly impact
    the installation, because I was able to install the Trail Version of this
    Operating System without any difficulties on the old configuration. BUT,
    some how, some way, something associated with those changes allowed the OEM
    version to install.

    Anyway, thanks for your support and yours to, Andre

    John

    john, Dec 13, 2005