Windows 2003 remote admin access

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by John Collins, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. John Collins

    John Collins Guest

    Hello,

    I have a query which is only apparent due to politics in the work place. On
    a technical level I can quite easily stop this issue but am intrigued as to
    how this can be happening?..

    One of our Windows 2003 servers is being accessed by a user who does have an
    administrator account, but does not have local access to the server. From
    outside the local network the only permitted inbound access is for HTTP,
    HTTPS, SMTP and FTP, all using the standard ports. There is no remote
    access software installed, e.g. Remote Desktop, NetOp etc. How can it be
    possible for files to be added / removed, permissions changed etc on this
    server via these protocols? (Obviously the user can interact with the
    services that are provided, but things are changing outside of these
    locations).

    Any ideas at all, anyone?

    Thanks,
    John