    Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
    need to upgrade my CPU?
    Need advice! Thanks

    Sticks, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Sticks

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Sticks

    Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Dec 19, 2003

  4. > Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
    > need to upgrade my CPU?

    Should run ok (does on mine) but make sure you have heaps ram and hdd space

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Dec 19, 2003
  5. At works, the minimum system used with Windows 2000 Professional is Pentium
    II with 128 Mo RAM.

    Rejean

    Réjean Dutil, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Sticks

    Billh Guest

    I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
    does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
    donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they call
    us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
    better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard drive.
    I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
    Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
    improvement.

    The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
    Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300 and
    333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.

    So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

    Billh, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Sticks

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:06:31 -0500, "Billh" <> wrote:

    >"Sticks" <> wrote in message
    >> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
    >> need to upgrade my CPU?
    >> Need advice! Thanks

    >I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
    >does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
    >donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they call
    >us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
    >better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard drive.
    >I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
    >Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
    >improvement.
    >
    >The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
    >Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300 and
    >333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.
    >
    >So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

    You may be amused to know that I have Windows 95B running on a 386SX/25
    notebook which has 4 megs RAM and a 500 meg HD.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Sticks

    Billh Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:06:31 -0500, "Billh" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Sticks" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will

    > >> need to upgrade my CPU?
    > >> Need advice! Thanks

    > >I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
    > >does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
    > >donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they

    call
    > >us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
    > >better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard

    drive.
    > >I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
    > >Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
    > >improvement.
    > >
    > >The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
    > >Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300

    and
    > >333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.
    > >
    > >So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

    > You may be amused to know that I have Windows 95B running on a 386SX/25
    > notebook which has 4 megs RAM and a 500 meg HD.
    >

    > -Barry
    > ========
    > Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
    > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

    That would seam to beat me. I have never tried 95 on a 386 never mind 4
    megs. I did not even like it on a P-75 with 16 megs and a 840 meg HD. But
    I had office 2000 running as well that slowed it down.

    But I did experience the pain of installing W95 via floppies. We were give
    two note books P-166 32 megs. But no cd-rom only an add on floppy drive.

    Billh, Dec 21, 2003