    easy-to-use piece of freeware that will automatically set my clock on
    startup?

    , Feb 14, 2005

  2. D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am running a Windows 2000 computer, not networked, with an always-on
    > broadband connection.
    >
    > My computer clock is starting to get slow (have never replaced
    > battery, so I'll tackle that soon). A friend of mine said that there
    > is a way to make Windows 2000 automatically go to a time server and
    > set the clock when the computer starts. I have tried the "Windows
    > Time" under "services" in the administrator control panel, but it is
    > not setting my clock.
    >
    > How do I make Windows set my time from a time server? Or is there an
    > easy-to-use piece of freeware that will automatically set my clock on
    > startup?

    Dimension 4 is a good free time synchronizer,
    http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

    D, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Stealth Guest

    Check http://www.worldtimerserver.com

    Stealth, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Taco - I highly recommend NetTime here: http://nettime.sourceforge.net/
    The nice thing about it is that it will automatically check 140 or so
    servers, find those that are working, pick the "best" five for you, update
    your time automatically at your designated interval by comparing all five
    and has provision for updating other computers on a local net. Or you can
    individually test and select the five to be used from servers around the
    world. You can use it to either automatically set the time in your tray or
    to do so manually. It is also very easy to add additional server addresses
    to the .ini file. I've tried out a number of time set programs over the
    years, and this is far-and-away the best. Just put a shortcut into your
    Startup folder to have time set every time you reboot.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    alid <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 14, 2005
  5. why? Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:37:22 GMT, alid wrote:

    >I am running a Windows 2000 computer, not networked, with an always-on
    >broadband connection.
    >
    >My computer clock is starting to get slow (have never replaced
    >battery, so I'll tackle that soon). A friend of mine said that there

    <snip>

    >How do I make Windows set my time from a time server? Or is there an
    >easy-to-use piece of freeware that will automatically set my clock on
    >startup?

    For home I use Tardis (paid for), http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/ one PC
    on my LAN syncs to an external source and broadcasts to the LAN.
    (Dimension 4, as mentioned by D, does that as well and it's free for
    home use)

    Me

    why?, Feb 14, 2005
  6. why? Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:51:01 -0500, Stealth wrote:

    >Check http://www.worldtimerserver.com

    Maybe a DNS issue for my ISP, but that link I see as redirected to some
    advertising, so I am not going to open it in a browser.

    Ah.... you mean worldtime not worldtimer.
    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

    why?, Feb 14, 2005
  7. John Holmes Guest

    > I am running a Windows 2000 computer, not networked, with an always-on
    > broadband connection.
    >
    > My computer clock is starting to get slow (have never replaced
    > battery, so I'll tackle that soon). A friend of mine said that there
    > is a way to make Windows 2000 automatically go to a time server and
    > set the clock when the computer starts. I have tried the "Windows
    > Time" under "services" in the administrator control panel, but it is
    > not setting my clock.
    >
    > How do I make Windows set my time from a time server? Or is there an
    > easy-to-use piece of freeware that will automatically set my clock on
    > startup?

    Ignore the twats that already replied, they are a bunch of fuckwits. Go
    into a CMD prompt (start>run>cmd) and type:

    net time /setsntp:time.microsoft.com

    If the command comes up with the message that it was successfully
    executed, your computer will now sync it's clock with the microsoft time
    server. Look at your ISP's server settings, they may have a timeserver as
    well. Maybe ntp.raodrummer.com will do, but I couldn't be arsed to look
    for availability of that server.

    --
    - John Holmes -

    "Just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Stealth Guest

    Must of been the big fingers on keyboard. Sorry about that!

    Stealth, Feb 14, 2005
  9. John Holmes Guest

    > Maybe ntp.raodrummer.com will do

    road, sorry.
    I just checked their site. I think you'll get lots of info there.
    www.rr.com

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2005
  10. Guest

    On 14 Feb 2005 18:14:54 GMT, John Holmes <>
    wrote:

    >Go
    >into a CMD prompt (start>run>cmd) and type:
    >
    >net time /setsntp:time.microsoft.com
    >
    >If the command comes up with the message that it was successfully
    >executed, your computer will now sync it's clock with the microsoft time
    >server. Look at your ISP's server settings, they may have a timeserver as
    >well. Maybe ntp.raodrummer.com will do, but I couldn't be arsed to look
    >for availability of that server.
    >
    >--
    >- John Holmes -
    >
    >"Just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

    Thanks for the help. I am not sure if it's doing what I want though.
    I did type the exact command you'd suggested, got the successful
    execution reply, and then went into the control panel > administrative
    tools > services and looked at Windows Time. I set that up to
    automatic startup and saved the changes. Reset the computer clock so
    it was 30 minutes slow, restarted Windows - and the clock was still
    slow by 30 when the computer rebooted.

    What did I do wrong?

    , Feb 14, 2005
  11. John Holmes Guest

    > On 14 Feb 2005 18:14:54 GMT, John Holmes <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Go
    >>into a CMD prompt (start>run>cmd) and type:
    >>
    >>net time /setsntp:time.microsoft.com
    >>
    >>If the command comes up with the message that it was successfully
    >>executed, your computer will now sync it's clock with the microsoft
    >>time server. Look at your ISP's server settings, they may have a
    >>timeserver as well. Maybe ntp.raodrummer.com will do, but I couldn't
    >>be arsed to look for availability of that server.
    >>
    >>--
    >>- John Holmes -
    >>
    >>"Just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

    > Thanks for the help. I am not sure if it's doing what I want though.
    > I did type the exact command you'd suggested, got the successful
    > execution reply, and then went into the control panel > administrative
    > tools > services and looked at Windows Time. I set that up to
    > automatic startup and saved the changes. Reset the computer clock so
    > it was 30 minutes slow, restarted Windows - and the clock was still
    > slow by 30 when the computer rebooted.
    >
    > What did I do wrong?

    If your clock is still slow by exactly 30 minutes, you have configured an
    incorrect time zone.

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2005
  12. D wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >> How do I make Windows set my time from a time server? Or is there an
    >> easy-to-use piece of freeware that will automatically set my clock on
    >> startup?

    > Dimension 4 is a good free time synchronizer,
    > http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

    I'll second that. Used it for years; never a problem.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2005