Windows 2000 shuts down or reboots for no reason

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax
    all the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the
    time.

    Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting
    for the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases,
    something has caused this PC to shut down/reboot. I'm never in the room
    when it happens. I have no idea what's going on. I haven't installed
    any new software lately. I don't think it's an electrical power
    fluctuation, in that it's on a UPS and I brought in a bigger UPS to
    replace the other one, just in case. No help. The PC will shut
    down/reboot two or three times each day now. I'd hate like hell to have
    to do a clean install, as I've got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take
    hours to reinstall. And even then, how do I know that'd solve the problem?

    How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    start.
    TIA -- WC
    WCH, Dec 7, 2004

  2. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Lord Jester wrote:
    > WCH wrote:
    >

    >>I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    >>fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax
    >>all the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the
    >>time.
    >>
    >>Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    >>shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting
    >>for the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases,
    >>something has caused this PC to shut down/reboot. I'm never in the room
    >>when it happens. I have no idea what's going on. I haven't installed
    >>any new software lately. I don't think it's an electrical power
    >>fluctuation, in that it's on a UPS and I brought in a bigger UPS to
    >>replace the other one, just in case. No help. The PC will shut
    >>down/reboot two or three times each day now. I'd hate like hell to have
    >>to do a clean install, as I've got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take
    >>hours to reinstall. And even then, how do I know that'd solve the
    >>problem?
    >>
    >>How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    >>start.
    >>TIA -- WC

    > It's been awhile since I've used a windows box, but I would start by
    > checking your power settings in the control panel. They might be set to
    > power down the machine after a certain amount of time with no activity.
    > Windows had a tendency to 'adjust' itself on me at times. So it may have
    > done this for you. :)
    > Next running anti-virus software is not always enough. Do a full system
    > scan.
    > Also try running a spyware/adware remover. Adaware I hear is good.
    >
    > Check your Powersupply and make sure that the fan is still running. My wifes
    > box had this problem and it just over heated and shutdown.
    >
    > Finally pending others advice, do a complete system backup incase this is a
    > hardware problem.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > JesterDev

    Thanks for the suggestions. I did a full system scan -- nothing. I
    updated and ran both SpyBot S&D and AdAware. SpyBot found nothing,
    AdAware found a few tracking cookies, which I had it delete. The fan of
    my power supply is running, I can hear it and I can feel the air from
    the back. Don't know about the CPU fan, though. I hadn't thought to
    check that but now tomorrow I will. I'll check the power settings. All
    other leads welcomed.
    WC
    WCH, Dec 7, 2004

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    WCH, Dec 7, 2004
  4. WCH

    WCH Guest

    WCH, Dec 7, 2004
  5. WCH

    Lord Jester Guest

    Lord Jester, Dec 7, 2004
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    07 Dec 2004 02:28:21 GMT, WCH <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    >fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax
    >all the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the
    >time.
    >
    >Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    >shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting
    >for the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases,
    >something has caused this PC to shut down/reboot. I'm never in the room
    >when it happens. I have no idea what's going on. I haven't installed
    >any new software lately. I don't think it's an electrical power
    >fluctuation, in that it's on a UPS and I brought in a bigger UPS to
    >replace the other one, just in case. No help. The PC will shut
    >down/reboot two or three times each day now. I'd hate like hell to have
    >to do a clean install, as I've got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take
    >hours to reinstall. And even then, how do I know that'd solve the problem?
    >
    >How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    >start.
    >TIA -- WC

    Could be.........

    Your Power Supply ready to go tits up

    or

    Your system is dirty as hell and you need to blow the dust bunnies
    outta it. If you live in a dusty shit hole, smoke, etc., and the fans
    coat the cooling fins of your CPU's heatsink with crap, it'll lead to
    over heating, thus the thing will turn off before it burns your
    fucking house down.

    Try cracking the case and looking. I recommend blowing it out with
    canned air. Vacuums don't seem to get it all.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 7, 2004
  7. WCH

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:28:21 GMT, WCH wrote:

    >I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    >fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax
    >all the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the
    >time.
    >
    >Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    >shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting
    >for the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases,

    Try looking in the event logs, just in case.

    <snip>
    >down/reboot two or three times each day now. I'd hate like hell to have
    >to do a clean install, as I've got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take

    Something Win *needs* on a regular basis anyway.

    >hours to reinstall. And even then, how do I know that'd solve the problem?

    If you reinstall once, use Norton Ghost (or similar) backup to CD a
    clean system. If there are still problems it takes a lot less time
    reinstall back off the CDs. This works best if data files / saved stuff
    are on a different partition/drive than the OS.

    >How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    >start.

    Dont leave the room :)

    Me
    why?, Dec 7, 2004
  8. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a year. It's
    > fully patched and updated. I run NIS (also fully updated) and WinFax all
    > the time (FYI). The PC (a fast AMD with 512 MB of RAM) runs all the time.
    >
    > Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine off. Just
    > shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's rebooted and is waiting for
    > the password prompt for a network connection. In both cases, something
    > has caused this PC to shut down/reboot. I'm never in the room when it
    > happens. I have no idea what's going on. I haven't installed any new
    > software lately. I don't think it's an electrical power fluctuation, in
    > that it's on a UPS and I brought in a bigger UPS to replace the other one,
    > just in case. No help. The PC will shut down/reboot two or three times
    > each day now. I'd hate like hell to have to do a clean install, as I've
    > got a ton of stuff on here and it'd take hours to reinstall. And even
    > then, how do I know that'd solve the problem?
    >
    > How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know where to
    > start.
    > TIA -- WC

    Start with the yellow pages of your local phone book, under "PC Repair"
    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  9. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Lord Jester" <> wrote in message
    > WCH wrote:
    >
    > It's been awhile since I've used a windows box,

    Then you have no business offering advice on how to the fix them.
    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  10. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    > Something Win *needs* on a regular basis anyway.

    Bullshit. A myth propagated by the incompetent.
    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  11. WCH

    Larry Crites Guest

    Unless your vacuum has an exhaust port, like mine. I take mine out to my
    shop, and shoot the shop vac at it. Wear proper safety protection.

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    Larry Crites, Dec 7, 2004
  12. WCH

    ImhoTech Guest

    > Your Power Supply ready to go tits up
    >
    > or
    >
    > Your system is dirty as hell and you need to blow the dust bunnies
    > outta it. If you live in a dusty shit hole, smoke, etc., and the fans
    > coat the cooling fins of your CPU's heatsink with crap, it'll lead to
    > over heating, thus the thing will turn off before it burns your
    > fucking house down.
    >
    > Try cracking the case and looking. I recommend blowing it out with
    > canned air. Vacuums don't seem to get it all.

    Not to mention that most vacuums generate static electricity as well.
    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  13. WCH wrote:

    >>> I've been running a Windows 2000 installation for at least a
    >>> year....

    >>> Starting this week I'll come in the room and find the machine
    >>> off. Just shut down. Or I'll come in and find that it's
    >>> rebooted and is waiting for the password prompt for a network
    >>> connection. In both cases, something has caused this PC to shut
    >>> down/reboot....

    >>> How should I proceed to diagnose this issue? I don't even know
    >>> where to start. TIA -- WC

    >> by checking your power settings in the control panel.

    >> Next running anti-virus software is not always enough. Do a full
    >> system scan.

    >> Also try running a spyware/adware remover....

    > Thanks for the suggestions. I did a full system scan -- nothing. I
    > updated and ran both SpyBot S&D and AdAware. SpyBot found nothing,
    > AdAware found a few tracking cookies, which I had it delete. The
    > fan of my power supply is running, I can hear it and I can feel the
    > air from the back. Don't know about the CPU fan, though. I hadn't
    > thought to check that but now tomorrow I will. I'll check the power
    > settings. All other leads welcomed. WC

    I recommend checking RAM also

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 8, 2004