Windows 2000 Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DiddyS, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. DiddyS

    DiddyS Guest

    I am trying to help a friend who's having shut down problems with his Win2K
    Pro computer. It just hangs and he has to use the on/off to switch to shut
    it down.

    I presume this is a software problem, but I don't know how best to
    troubleshoot it. Any helping in sorting this would be very much appreciated.

    O/S: Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 4.

    Mobo: Abit KT7A RAID (not set up as a RAID).

    CPU: Athlon 1.4.

    Thanks,

    Derek.
    DiddyS, Jan 7, 2006

  2. DiddyS

    JD Guest

    DiddyS wrote:
    > I am trying to help a friend who's having shut down problems with his Win2K
    > Pro computer. It just hangs and he has to use the on/off to switch to shut
    > it down.

    what do you mean it hangs ?.. it logs off .. says saving settings and
    stays at a blue screen ? - if so windows cannot shut down an application
    that's running (probably in the background) try un-installing the last
    piece of software that was installed before the problem started. and/or
    press ctrl + alt + del .. task manager .. processes, and try ending each
    process one by one until you find the suspect and remove / reinstall
    that. try to avoid system processes.

    If it says now safe to turn off your computer .. try your BIOS settings.

    JD
    JD, Jan 7, 2006

  3. DiddyS

    DiddyS Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > DiddyS wrote:
    >> I am trying to help a friend who's having shut down problems with his
    >> Win2K Pro computer. It just hangs and he has to use the on/off to switch
    >> to shut it down.
    >>

    > what do you mean it hangs ?.. it logs off .. says saving settings and
    > stays at a blue screen ? - if so windows cannot shut down an application
    > that's running (probably in the background) try un-installing the last
    > piece of software that was installed before the problem started. and/or
    > press ctrl + alt + del .. task manager .. processes, and try ending each
    > process one by one until you find the suspect and remove / reinstall that.
    > try to avoid system processes.
    >
    > If it says now safe to turn off your computer .. try your BIOS settings.
    >

    > JD

    Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that's what it is doing, but I'll have to
    check with him - he lives 30 miles away unfortunately.

    Derek.
    DiddyS, Jan 8, 2006
  4. DiddyS

    DiddyS Guest

    "DiddyS" <> wrote in message

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> DiddyS wrote:
    >>> I am trying to help a friend who's having shut down problems with his
    >>> Win2K Pro computer. It just hangs and he has to use the on/off to switch
    >>> to shut it down.
    >>>

    >> what do you mean it hangs ?.. it logs off .. says saving settings and
    >> stays at a blue screen ? - if so windows cannot shut down an application
    >> that's running (probably in the background) try un-installing the last
    >> piece of software that was installed before the problem started. and/or
    >> press ctrl + alt + del .. task manager .. processes, and try ending each
    >> process one by one until you find the suspect and remove / reinstall
    >> that. try to avoid system processes.
    >>
    >> If it says now safe to turn off your computer .. try your BIOS settings.
    >>

    >> JD

    > Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that's what it is doing, but I'll have to
    > check with him - he lives 30 miles away unfortunately.
    >
    > Derek.

    Hi,
    Now he's uninstalled the printer it shuts down OK.
    Thanks,
    Derek.
    DiddyS, Jan 8, 2006
  5. DiddyS

    JD Guest

    DiddyS wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Now he's uninstalled the printer it shuts down OK.
    > Thanks,
    > Derek.

    Glad you got it fixed often the simplest problems can be the most annoying.
    JD, Jan 8, 2006