Windows 2000 server problem with ntldr moving to another drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by simon.ferre, May 28, 2009.

  1. simon.ferre

    simon.ferre Guest

    I originally installed windows 2000 server some years ago. My
    motherboard supports raid5 via the Intel (ICH7) 82801GR/GH raid
    controller, so I had to use a driver floppy (and press F6 at the
    appropriate moment during the setup phase).

    My 4x250gb drives were made into a raid5 array, with two 'drives'
    created - a 10gb drive for installing linux (which has never been
    done) and the rest for windows 2000 server.

    This windows 'drive' was partitioned into a c: drive, (about 10gb) for
    the windows install and programs, and a d: drive which is the rest
    (about 678gb).

    After a while, and without much success finding a linux installation
    which would see the raid arrays as drives, i decided to install
    windows server 2003 onto the spare 'raid drive'. The install went
    fine, but from that point on the ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files
    ended up on the root of the d: drive.

    After finding out that the version of windows server 2003 that I
    installed wasn't legit, I removed it from the machine, but now I can't
    find a way to get the boot.ini, ntldr etc back onto the root of c:

    Also, my drive letters change if I run the windows server 2008 install
    from the dvd. The drive letters change and I don't see a way to get
    them back to what I would like them. I simply cancel the install at
    that point and chicken out.

    To summarise, I am trying to upgrade to windows server 2008 so I can
    keep all my original files, settings etc., but firstly I'd like to see
    if it is possible to get the boot files etc back to the c: drive.

    Your views, opinions etc would be really helpful.
     
    simon.ferre, May 28, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. simon.ferre

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:38:20 -0700 (PDT), simon.ferre wrote:

    >I originally installed windows 2000 server some years ago. My
    >motherboard supports raid5 via the Intel (ICH7) 82801GR/GH raid
    >controller, so I had to use a driver floppy (and press F6 at the
    >appropriate moment during the setup phase).
    >

    <skip story>
    >windows server 2003 onto the spare 'raid drive'. The install went
    >fine, but from that point on the ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files
    >ended up on the root of the d: drive.


    You didn't say if c: is on the raid or not. Because generally
    ntldr/boot.ini would be on the 1st active partition and the OS anywhere
    else you put it.

    So the d: Win 2003 ntldr / boot.ini which also included the c: boot to
    the 2000 install, is that what you are saying?

    So there is no ntldr / boot.ini on C, not even an old one?

    >After finding out that the version of windows server 2003 that I
    >installed wasn't legit, I removed it from the machine, but now I can't
    >find a way to get the boot.ini, ntldr etc back onto the root of c:


    boot.ini is easy, it's a text file you can edit to fix the boot order
    and copy it.

    As often mentioned, MS Win 2000 is a MS product, try MS support or even
    www.google.com or the Win 2000 groups, lists posted earlier.

    Boot disk with the files, recovery disk, well have a look below.

    How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in ...
    Copy the Ntldr file, the Ntdetect.com file, and the Boot.ini file from
    the boot disk to the .... If you do not have a Windows 2000 Emergency
    Repair Disk, ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728


    >Also, my drive letters change if I run the windows server 2008 install
    >from the dvd. The drive letters change and I don't see a way to get


    They would, 2008 does that. Easy enough to find out why., also a
    www.google.com

    >them back to what I would like them. I simply cancel the install at
    >that point and chicken out.


    It's a 2008 thing with multiple drives/partitions. However if Win 2003
    below uses C: as C: as does XP,DOS etc just because another version
    pretends the old D: is now it's C: oh well. I never had that issue as I
    have a couple of small partitions for boot loaders, the new OS
    partitions figure out thier own C: and all the data / prog volumes have
    the 'existing drive letter' in the volume label. So when an OS picks new
    letters, it's a few seconds work in disk managemet to reset to correct
    letters.


    >To summarise, I am trying to upgrade to windows server 2008 so I can


    Upgrade over the 2000 not the 2003.

    >keep all my original files, settings etc., but firstly I'd like to see
    >if it is possible to get the boot files etc back to the c: drive.
    >
    >Your views, opinions etc would be really helpful.


    Make a couple of backup, verify they work before messing with boot
    loaders.

    Don't experiment on any system you don't want to risk losing any data
    on.

    Me
     
    why?, May 28, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. simon.ferre

    simon.ferre Guest

    On 28 May, 23:30, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:38:20 -0700 (PDT), simon.ferre wrote:
    > >I originally installed windows 2000 server some years ago.  My
    > >motherboard supports raid5 via the Intel (ICH7) 82801GR/GH raid
    > >controller, so I had to use a driver floppy (and press F6 at the
    > >appropriate moment during the setup phase).

    >
    > <skip story>
    > >windows server 2003 onto the spare 'raid drive'.  The install went
    > >fine, but from that point on the ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files
    > >ended up on the root of the d: drive.

    >
    > You didn't say if c: is on the raid or not. Because generally
    > ntldr/boot.ini would be on the 1st active partition and the OS anywhere
    > else you put it.
    >


    Yes, both c: and d: are partitions on a raid volume called windows.
    Originally, the c: drive (the first partition on the volume) contained
    the installation of windows (in a winnt folder) and the startup files
    - ntldr etc. After installing windows server 2003, the ntldr etc
    moved to the d: drive (the second partition on the volume).

    > So the d: Win 2003 ntldr / boot.ini which also included the c: boot to
    > the 2000 install, is that what you are saying?
    >


    Not sure what you are saying? Sorry.

    > So there is no ntldr / boot.ini on C, not even an old one?
    >


    This is correct.

    > >After finding out that the version of windows server 2003 that I
    > >installed wasn't legit, I removed it from the machine, but now I can't
    > >find a way to get the boot.ini, ntldr etc back onto the root of c:

    >
    > boot.ini is easy, it's a text file you can edit to fix the boot order
    > and copy it.
    >


    But, if I move all these hidden files from d: to c:, the system won't
    then boot at all saying that ntldr is missing.

    > As often mentioned, MS Win 2000 is a MS product, try MS support or evenwww.google.comor the Win 2000 groups, lists posted earlier.
    >
    > Boot disk with the files, recovery disk, well have a look below.
    >
    > How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in ...
    > Copy the Ntldr file, the Ntdetect.com file, and the Boot.ini file from
    > the boot disk to the .... If you do not have a Windows 2000 Emergency
    > Repair Disk, ...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728
    >
    > >Also, my drive letters change if I run the windows server 2008 install
    > >from the dvd.  The drive letters change and I don't see a way to get

    >
    > They would, 2008 does that. Easy enough to find out why., also awww.google.com
    >
    > >them back to what I would like them.  I simply cancel the install at
    > >that point and chicken out.

    >
    > It's a 2008 thing with multiple drives/partitions. However if Win 2003
    > below uses C: as C: as does XP,DOS etc just because another version
    > pretends the old D: is now it's C: oh well. I never had that issue as I
    > have a couple of small partitions for boot loaders, the new OS
    > partitions figure out thier own C: and all the data / prog volumes have
    > the 'existing drive letter' in the volume label. So when an OS picks new
    > letters, it's a few seconds work in disk managemet to reset to correct
    > letters.
    >


    I can see why windows server 2008 is stating that the original d:
    would be a new c: because the d: now contains the files used for
    booting the system (ntldr etc.). However, I want the original c: to
    be c: in windows server 2008, so I imagine that it's something in the
    master boot record which is looking on d: for these files. What I
    want to do is get these files onto c: and convince windows 2000 server
    that it should be looking there instead.

    > >To summarise, I am trying to upgrade to windows server 2008 so I can

    >
    > Upgrade over the 2000 not the 2003.
    >
    > >keep all my original files, settings etc., but firstly I'd like to see
    > >if it is possible to get the boot files etc back to the c: drive.

    >
    > >Your views, opinions etc would be really helpful.

    >
    > Make a couple of backup, verify they work before messing with boot
    > loaders.
    >
    > Don't experiment on any system you don't want to risk losing any data
    > on.
    >
    > Me


    Backing up is something I have done already - there's too much time
    and effort involved in the files I have created, etc. since I got this
    server.

    Simon
     
    simon.ferre, May 30, 2009
    #3
  4. simon.ferre

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 30 May 2009 05:13:33 -0700 (PDT), simon.ferre wrote:

    >On 28 May, 23:30, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:38:20 -0700 (PDT), simon.ferre wrote:
    >> >I originally installed windows 2000 server some years ago.  My
    >> >motherboard supports raid5 via the Intel (ICH7) 82801GR/GH raid
    >> >controller, so I had to use a driver floppy (and press F6 at the
    >> >appropriate moment during the setup phase).

    >>
    >> <skip story>
    >> >windows server 2003 onto the spare 'raid drive'.  The install went
    >> >fine, but from that point on the ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files
    >> >ended up on the root of the d: drive.

    >>
    >> You didn't say if c: is on the raid or not. Because generally
    >> ntldr/boot.ini would be on the 1st active partition and the OS anywhere
    >> else you put it.
    >>

    >
    >Yes, both c: and d: are partitions on a raid volume called windows.
    >Originally, the c: drive (the first partition on the volume) contained
    >the installation of windows (in a winnt folder) and the startup files
    >- ntldr etc. After installing windows server 2003, the ntldr etc
    >moved to the d: drive (the second partition on the volume).
    >
    >> So the d: Win 2003 ntldr / boot.ini which also included the c: boot to
    >> the 2000 install, is that what you are saying?
    >>

    >
    >Not sure what you are saying? Sorry.


    Win 2003/2008 did something like to to me, a while ago and I didn't
    care.

    >> So there is no ntldr / boot.ini on C, not even an old one?
    >>

    >
    >This is correct.


    Fine.

    >> >After finding out that the version of windows server 2003 that I
    >> >installed wasn't legit, I removed it from the machine, but now I can't
    >> >find a way to get the boot.ini, ntldr etc back onto the root of c:

    >>
    >> boot.ini is easy, it's a text file you can edit to fix the boot order
    >> and copy it.
    >>

    >
    >But, if I move all these hidden files from d: to c:, the system won't
    >then boot at all saying that ntldr is missing.


    The Win 2003 Boot ini will still point to the wrong partition / been
    overwritten by 2008. Fix the 2003 boot first, either edit it boot.ini
    or try a Win 2003 boot CD/DVD and repair.

    Then when you install 2008 and get it's letters changing... oh well. I
    haven't had a vol letter I couldn't set back yet(not counting system).

    It wasn't a problem c: was c: for Win2000/2003 and thier f: becoming the
    new 2008 c:.

    <snip>

    As I said recently, Win 2003 is a MS product,

    How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows Server 2003
    Provides the step-by-step instructions to edit the Boot.ini file. You
    can also add switches to the .ini file. The article also discusses
    typical scenarios ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317526

    Available switch options for the Windows XP and the Windows Server ...
    You can add many different switches to the Boot.ini file that will
    modify the way that Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server
    2003 start. ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

    www.google. under dual boot 2003 and 2008 found MS thread
    2008 and 2003 : Dual boot for migration...
    2 posts - 1 author - Last post: 23 Jan 2008
    What I want to do though is be able to dual boot the system under 2K8
    and 2K3 through the next few months until 2K8 is stable enough for ...
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/f1851f70-f671-490b-84d8-63be7abdba19
    or
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/me5gyz

    Lookup how to edit the 2008 boot with BCDEdit, there are several editors
    and lots of articles.

    Me
     
    why?, Jun 1, 2009
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sam
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    921
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=
    Jun 3, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlcnJpZXdlYg==?=

    Moving files from one hard drive to another

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlcnJpZXdlYg==?=, Feb 2, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    732
    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udGFuYQ==?=
    Feb 2, 2006
  3. A slice of Sammy

    Question about moving a slave drive from one PC to another....

    A slice of Sammy, Feb 2, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    436
    Aunt Agatha
    Feb 2, 2005
  4. Peter
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    537
    burris
    Oct 8, 2005
  5. - Bobb -
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    915
    Colin Barnhorst
    Dec 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page