Windows 2000 Pro question (formatting hard drive)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Woellert, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. hey everyone,

    I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just want
    reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:

    C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
    fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file

    so than I tried C:\>format c:

    it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to proceed..so
    click Y

    so than this message appears:

    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

    anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
    do??

    --
    Mike Woellert
    http://db.etree.org/Mike_Woellert

    Mike Woellert, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Mike Woellert

    °Mike° Guest

    How to install Windows 2k
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/textonly/install2k.htm

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:40:37 GMT, in
    <V7eMb.10880$>
    Mike Woellert scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 11, 2004

  3. how do I change or make sure that CD-ROM is the first boot device

    do I press F8 at when I am prompted at the booting process??

    Mike Woellert, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Mike Woellert

    °Mike° Guest

    You need to set the changes in the BIOS - check your
    motherboard manual on how to enter your BIOS. Make
    sure you save the changes on exit from the BIOS.

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:54:48 GMT, in
    <cleMb.10886$>
    Mike Woellert scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jan 11, 2004
  5. "Mike Woellert" <> wrote in message
    > hey everyone,
    >
    > I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just want
    > reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:
    >
    > C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
    > fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file
    >
    > so than I tried C:\>format c:
    >
    > it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to

    proceed..so
    > click Y
    >
    > so than this message appears:
    >
    > Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    > process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
    > ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    > Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
    >

    > anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
    > do??
    >

    > --
    > Mike Woellert
    > http://db.etree.org/Mike_Woellert
    > http://www.indemed.com

    Just boot up with the cd and choose L to delete the partition and do a clean
    install.

    Trai'

    http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index63.htm
    http://studynotes.net/70part1.htm