Windows 2000 Pro Permissions Questions

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by j0ser, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. j0ser

    j0ser Guest

    Here is another question:

    Jody is one of the administrators of a large enterprise network that
    consists of Windows 2K Pro workstations and Windows 2K servers. His
    assistant, Mic, has shared a local directory called Data on a Windows
    2K Pro workstation for the local group "Engineering", granting them
    Change permission. Jody has just added a user to the domain and has
    granted him membership to the Engineering group. The new user logs on
    to the workstation where the shared directory is located and attempts
    to access the files located in the directory. What will happen when
    the user attempts this?

    A. The user will be unable to access the directory where the files are
    located.
    B. The user will have Read Only access to the files located in the
    directory.
    C. The user will have Change permission to the files located in the
    directory.
    D. The user will have the assigned local permission for the files in
    the directory.

    I chose C as my answer but then again I am a bit confused. Can someone
    give me some input on this? Do the local permissions override any
    shared permissions? Any help and input is appreciated. Thanks again
    guys and gals!

    //j

    j0ser, Sep 8, 2004

  2. j0ser

    cadman Guest

    When you are logging in locally to the workstation, share permissions don't
    apply. Hence D is the answer. Whatever the locally assigned permissions
    are.

    cadman, Sep 8, 2004

  3. j0ser

    Andy Foster Guest

    "j0ser" <> wrote in message
    > Here is another question:
    >
    > Jody is one of the administrators of a large enterprise network that
    > consists of Windows 2K Pro workstations and Windows 2K servers. His
    > assistant, Mic, has shared a local directory called Data on a Windows
    > 2K Pro workstation for the local group "Engineering", granting them
    > Change permission. Jody has just added a user to the domain and has
    > granted him membership to the Engineering group. The new user logs on
    > to the workstation where the shared directory is located and attempts
    > to access the files located in the directory. What will happen when
    > the user attempts this?
    >
    > A. The user will be unable to access the directory where the files are
    > located.
    > B. The user will have Read Only access to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > C. The user will have Change permission to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > D. The user will have the assigned local permission for the files in
    > the directory.
    >
    > I chose C as my answer but then again I am a bit confused. Can someone
    > give me some input on this? Do the local permissions override any
    > shared permissions? Any help and input is appreciated. Thanks again
    > guys and gals!

    How would the user access the local files? Would he use the UNC share name
    for local files?
    Think about it, if it isn't obvious try it out- you only need 1 PC.

    Andy Foster, Sep 8, 2004
  4. j0ser

    Dragon Guest

    Agreed.

    Share permissions only apply when accessing the files via the share
    (network) instead of locally.

    Dragon, Sep 8, 2004
  5. j0ser

    RH Guest

    First of all...do you want us to answer ALL your exam
    questions for you???
    Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    workstations. It should be on the servers!!!

    RH, Sep 8, 2004
  6. j0ser

    Consultant Guest

    so that's e?

    Consultant, Sep 8, 2004
  7. >Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    >workstations

    you are mistaken, Data belongs on the bridge with the rest of the crew
    :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  8. j0ser

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    >>Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    >>workstations

    > you are mistaken, Data belongs on the bridge with the rest of the crew
    >:)
    >

    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    wrong. Data belongs in a junk yard.

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 8, 2004
  9. >wrong. Data belongs in a junk yard.

    you are thinking of his brother

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  10. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    >> Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    >> workstations

    > you are mistaken, Data belongs on the bridge with the rest of the crew
    > :)

    You are correct. It is Data's brother (the one with the tic) that belongs
    at the workstations.

    --
    Fris "I think his name was Compu-Pikachu" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 8, 2004
  11. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    >> wrong. Data belongs in a junk yard.

    > you are thinking of his brother

    Spooky

    --
    Fris "Oh, wait, that's Casper's cousin" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 8, 2004
  12. circa 8 Sep 2004 12:26:37 -0700, in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    j0ser () said,
    > Jody is one of the administrators of a large enterprise network that
    > consists of Windows 2K Pro workstations and Windows 2K servers. His
    > assistant, Mic, has shared a local directory called Data on a Windows
    > 2K Pro workstation for the local group "Engineering", granting them
    > Change permission. Jody has just added a user to the domain and has
    > granted him membership to the Engineering group. The new user logs on
    > to the workstation where the shared directory is located and attempts
    > to access the files located in the directory. What will happen when
    > the user attempts this?
    >
    > A. The user will be unable to access the directory where the files are
    > located.
    > B. The user will have Read Only access to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > C. The user will have Change permission to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > D. The user will have the assigned local permission for the files in
    > the directory.
    >
    > I chose C as my answer but then again I am a bit confused. Can someone
    > give me some input on this? Do the local permissions override any
    > shared permissions? Any help and input is appreciated. Thanks again
    > guys and gals!

    Assuming that the partition on which the folder resides is formatted
    with NTFS and that Jody hasn't changed the default permissions, the
    user will have read access to the folder. The default NTFS
    permissions in Win2K+ give Authenticated Users read access. When
    share permissions and NTFS permissions meet, you take the accumulated
    share permissions, then you compare them with the accumulated NTFS
    permissions. Whichever permission set is more restrictive is the
    effective permission set.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  13. circa 8 Sep 2004 12:26:37 -0700, in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    j0ser () said,
    > Here is another question:
    >
    > Jody is one of the administrators of a large enterprise network that
    > consists of Windows 2K Pro workstations and Windows 2K servers. His
    > assistant, Mic, has shared a local directory called Data on a Windows
    > 2K Pro workstation for the local group "Engineering", granting them
    > Change permission. Jody has just added a user to the domain and has
    > granted him membership to the Engineering group. The new user logs on
    > to the workstation where the shared directory is located and attempts
    > to access the files located in the directory. What will happen when
    > the user attempts this?
    >
    > A. The user will be unable to access the directory where the files are
    > located.
    > B. The user will have Read Only access to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > C. The user will have Change permission to the files located in the
    > directory.
    > D. The user will have the assigned local permission for the files in
    > the directory.
    >
    > I chose C as my answer but then again I am a bit confused. Can someone
    > give me some input on this? Do the local permissions override any
    > shared permissions? Any help and input is appreciated. Thanks again
    > guys and gals!
    >
    > //j

    P.S. Since the user is logging on locally, share permissions won't
    apply, but NTFS will. I got a little carried away in my typing, but
    now at least you know what the permissions will be both locally and
    over the network. :)

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  14. circa Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:13:50 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, RH
    () said,
    > Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    > workstations. It should be on the servers!!!

    YEAH!
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  15. j0ser

    Guest

    Thanks Laura :)

    >P.S. Since the user is logging on locally, share permissions won't
    >apply, but NTFS will. I got a little carried away in my typing, but
    >now at least you know what the permissions will be both locally and
    >over the network. :)
    >
    >Laura

    , Sep 9, 2004
  16. circa Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:38:11 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    () said,
    > >> Second...the guy's an idiot! Data does not belong on
    > >> workstations

    > > you are mistaken, Data belongs on the bridge with the rest of the crew
    > > :)

    > You are correct. It is Data's brother (the one with the tic) that belongs
    > at the workstations.

    That would be Lor.

    Sheesh, don't you know your androids?
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  17. Laura A. Robinson wrote:
    > circa Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:38:11 -0400, in
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    > () said,
    >>>
    >>> you are mistaken, Data belongs on the bridge with the rest of the
    >>> crew :)

    >> You are correct. It is Data's brother (the one with the tic) that
    >> belongs at the workstations.
    >>

    > That would be Lor.
    >
    > Sheesh, don't you know your androids?

    After naming you, sweetheart, I forgot the names of all the other animatrons
    that I created.

    --
    Fris "Dr. Soon" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 9, 2004
  18. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:06:46 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    () said,
    > Laura A. Robinson wrote:
    > > circa Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:38:11 -0400, in
    > > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    > > () said,

    > >> You are correct. It is Data's brother (the one with the tic) that
    > >> belongs at the workstations.
    > >>

    > > That would be Lor.
    > >
    > > Sheesh, don't you know your androids?

    > After naming you, sweetheart, I forgot the names of all the other animatrons
    > that I created.

    Nice save!
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004