    I havent used windows in a while, as I am a Linux user. Can
    anyone help?

    Thanks
    JesterDev, Dec 3, 2003

  2. It was on Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:31:08 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that JesterDev wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I work with kids at a middle school, and have some
    > computers that where donated to us. They have Windows 2000 Pro
    > installed, but I don't have any passwords, or user names for
    > any of them. I don't have to original disks or I would just
    > reinstall the OS. Would anyone happen to know how I could
    > get, or even change the user/pass? I thought about getting
    > a dos prompt, and just finding the file where the info is
    > stored any maybe just deleting it. Not sure if that will work.
    > I havent used windows in a while, as I am a Linux user. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks

    IIRC you could use a 2000 CD to hack into Win 2000
    Or a linux boot disk -
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips262.shtml
    Or another linux utility -
    http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

    Interesting article here too:-
    http://tinyurl.com/xgk0

    Doesn't say a lot for M$ security, IMHO.

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0
    William Poaster, Dec 3, 2003

  3. JesterDev

    Patrick Guest

    JesterDev wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I work with kids at a middle school, and have some
    > computers that where donated to us. They have Windows 2000 Pro
    > installed, but I don't have any passwords, or user names for
    > any of them. I don't have to original disks or I would just
    > reinstall the OS. Would anyone happen to know how I could
    > get, or even change the user/pass? I thought about getting
    > a dos prompt, and just finding the file where the info is
    > stored any maybe just deleting it. Not sure if that will work.
    > I havent used windows in a while, as I am a Linux user. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks

    Here is a link to a newsgroup article;

    Short link;
    http://tinyurl.com/xgn8

    Full link;
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...&q=Windows+2000+Pro+Lost+Password&sa=N&tab=wg
    Patrick, Dec 3, 2003
  4. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    Thanks for the help. Found a linux boot disk
    that will work just fine. :)

    Patrick wrote:

    > JesterDev wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I work with kids at a middle school, and have some
    >> computers that where donated to us. They have Windows 2000 Pro
    >> installed, but I don't have any passwords, or user names for
    >> any of them. I don't have to original disks or I would just
    >> reinstall the OS. Would anyone happen to know how I could
    >> get, or even change the user/pass? I thought about getting
    >> a dos prompt, and just finding the file where the info is
    >> stored any maybe just deleting it. Not sure if that will work.
    >> I havent used windows in a while, as I am a Linux user. Can
    >> anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Here is a link to a newsgroup article;
    >
    > Short link;
    > http://tinyurl.com/xgn8
    >
    > Full link;
    > http://groups.google.com

    groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=082401c3728f%2422ea0e00
    24a301280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8
    26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3DWindows%2B2000%2BPro%2BLost%2BPassword%26sa%3DN%26tab
    3Dwg
    JesterDev, Dec 3, 2003
  5. JesterDev

    Billh Guest

    I work at a school and we get them wiped so if you want to install the os
    you can use this link to get a new cd and a fresh start.

    http://www.microsoft.com/education/default.asp?ID=FreshStartFAQ

    Billh, Dec 3, 2003
  6. JesterDev

    John Hudson Guest

    The Belarc Advisor will give you the information that you are looking for nt
    just for windows but all software installed

    www.belarc.com

    John Hudson, Dec 3, 2003
  7. John Hudson Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <4Pjzb.2306$>:

    > The Belarc Advisor will give you the information that you are
    > looking for nt just for windows but all software installed
    >
    > www.belarc.com

    Belarc will only give him info about what the machine has. Harddisk
    sizes/memory/etc....assuming he could logon to run it, which he can't.

    To the OP: Your best bet would be to reload them and give the admin
    password something you know. It will be easier in the long run...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Dec 3, 2003
  8. JesterDev

    L Beck Guest

    "TehGhodTrole" <> wrote in message
    > John Hudson wrote:
    > > The Belarc Advisor will give you the information that you are looking
    > > for nt just for windows but all software installed

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! You fuckwit, top-posting pillock.

    You sure do like to word-bash these people that don't know any better. All
    they're guilty of is take the defaults and typing their response where the
    cursor defaults to, which is at the top of the message when they reply. You
    could at least explain to them just what you mean. They probably haven't
    got a clue what you just said or what it means.
    L Beck, Dec 3, 2003
  9. JesterDev

    L Beck Guest

    > Your best bet is just to scrub the disks. What would you gain from
    > recovering the passwords, other than maybe looking to see if ou can find
    > some porn on one of them, or maybe some daming evidence that X was fucking

    > on the sly?

    You should watch your language. Didn't we read that these are school
    computers? Perhaps the students are looking over his shoulder and reading
    what you just said.
    L Beck, Dec 3, 2003
  10. JesterDev

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 04:05:36 -0800 (PST), "TehGhodTrole" <>
    wrote:

    |> JesterDev wrote:
    |> > Hello,
    |> >
    |> > I work with kids at a middle school, and have some
    |> > computers that where donated to us. They have Windows 2000 Pro
    |> > installed, but I don't have any passwords, or user names for
    |> > any of them. I don't have to original disks or I would just
    |> > reinstall the OS. Would anyone happen to know how I could
    |> > get, or even change the user/pass? I thought about getting
    |> > a dos prompt, and just finding the file where the info is
    |> > stored any maybe just deleting it. Not sure if that will work.
    |> > I havent used windows in a while, as I am a Linux user. Can
    |> > anyone help?
    |>
    |> Your best bet is just to scrub the disks. What would you gain from
    |> recovering the passwords, other than maybe looking to see if ou can find
    |> some porn on one of them, or maybe some daming evidence that X was fucking Y
    |> on the sly?

    You know he does have a ligit point.
    I agree with TehGhodTrole reinstall the OS.

    --

    o _ _ _
    _o /\_ _ \\o (_)\__/o (_)
    M Mullen, Dec 4, 2003
  11. JesterDev

    nemo Guest

    JesterDev,

    Try this link:

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    It will enable you to create a boot disk that will enable you to
    delete the administrator password. You can then log on as admistrator
    and change the user passwords.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Dec 5, 2003