Windows 2000 Modem problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi the group,

    I'm hoping someone can help me with a co-workers Windows 2000 laptop.

    For some reason when trying to dial-up the machine returns the following
    error:

    "Error 797: The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting
    device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting
    device is installed."

    I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers from the Toshiba site and also
    tried the fix suggested here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285049

    When I go into the modem properties in device manager and click the "Query
    Modem" button on the "Diagnostics" page, it pops up a dialog that says:
    "Couldn't open port"

    I've searched extensively in Google but the only solutions I can find are
    reinstalling the drivers and the procedure referred to in the above link.

    Nothing seems to work however. Does anyone have another suggestion?

    Many thanks,
    Chris.

    Chris, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Chris

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > For some reason when trying to dial-up the machine returns the following
    > error:
    >
    > "Error 797: The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting
    > device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting
    > device is installed."
    >
    > Nothing seems to work however. Does anyone have another suggestion?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Chris.

    Is the Modem internal or pcmcia?

    If internal it's possible that it may have been disabled in the bios. If
    it's pcmcia, physically remove the card, reboot in to safe mode, remove
    all modem drivers, reboot again and insert the card.

    If it's internal and hasn't been disabled in the bios, then try removing
    the drivers in safe mode.

    Bruce Flyger, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Chris

    Jerry Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:34:12 +1200, Chris <>
    wrote:

    >Hi the group,
    >
    >I'm hoping someone can help me with a co-workers Windows 2000 laptop.
    >
    >For some reason when trying to dial-up the machine returns the following
    >error:
    >
    >"Error 797: The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting
    >device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting
    >device is installed."
    >
    >I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers from the Toshiba site and also
    >tried the fix suggested here:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285049
    >
    >When I go into the modem properties in device manager and click the "Query
    >Modem" button on the "Diagnostics" page, it pops up a dialog that says:
    >"Couldn't open port"
    >
    >I've searched extensively in Google but the only solutions I can find are
    >reinstalling the drivers and the procedure referred to in the above link.
    >
    >Nothing seems to work however. Does anyone have another suggestion?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >Chris.

    Typically the couldn't open port message appears when some application
    has reserved the modem. Make sure nothing is running, fax or anything
    that might think it owns the modem. If that doesn't work, uninstall
    the modem and dial up networking, then re install everything and try
    it again. Good luck

    Jerry

    Jerry, Oct 2, 2003