    Guest Guest

    Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    Guest, Oct 17, 2007

  2. On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:

    > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    Why would you want Win2000?

    It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
    obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Oct 17, 2007

  3. On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <> wrote:
    > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    Probably Trade Me is your best bet - although I cant see any on there
    right now

    It is a bit slow starting, but is otherwise perfectly usable - I am
    still using it having seen no compelling reasons to upgrade to XP as
    yet. MS are still providing updates and patches for it, so it isn't
    obsolete yet, although I'd grant it is rather getting on in years.

    That said if you don't have to have Windows for reasons of software
    compatibility there are plenty of great Linux distros out there for
    absolutely nothing that are much newer and often have Word/
    Powerpoint / Outlook equivalents built in for nothing along with
    Firefox which is a far better browser than IE6/7. Kubuntu is good and
    not too hard to get used to for a Windows user

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Guest

    thingy Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <> wrote:
    >> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    >> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    > Probably Trade Me is your best bet - although I cant see any on there
    > right now

    I seem to re-call MS getting all upset when NT4 licences were being sold
    via trademe, somehow I dont see win2k licences getting onto trademe and
    staying long...

    > It is a bit slow starting, but is otherwise perfectly usable - I am
    > still using it having seen no compelling reasons to upgrade to XP as
    > yet.

    Games run better on XP, and XP is now more stable IMHO.

    MS are still providing updates and patches for it, so it isn't
    > obsolete yet, although I'd grant it is rather getting on in years.

    True, if you have a reasonable box though, and can pick up XP cheaply,
    I'd would consider an upgrade a no brainer.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Guest

    Mutlley Guest

    Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:
    >
    >> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    >> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    >Why would you want Win2000?
    >
    >It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
    >obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

    Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
    also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

    Mutlley, Oct 17, 2007
  6. Guest

    thingy Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    >>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    >> Why would you want Win2000?
    >>
    >> It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
    >> obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

    > Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
    > also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

    I find XP runs games better, and later ones are XP or XP and Vista
    only....as an example BF2142 runs well in win2k graphically, but most of
    the keyboard keys dont work....

    Kids older 98 games also run or run more stably on XP.

    If all you do is cruise the Internet then I wouldn't even run win2k...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
  7. Guest

    XPD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
    Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
    someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
    When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
    anyway.

    XPD, Oct 17, 2007
  8. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    > > Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    > > > Why would you want Win2000?
    > > >
    > > > It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and
    > > > it's obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

    > > Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
    > > also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

    > I find XP runs games better, and later ones are XP or XP and Vista
    > only....as an example BF2142 runs well in win2k graphically, but most
    > of the keyboard keys dont work....

    That must be a relatively recent thing then as I remember, not that long
    ago, PC manufacturers giving frame-rates etc for games running under 2K
    (without explicitly saying so) as it had less overhead than XP and
    consequently performed better. At least in gaming benchmarks.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Guest

    Mutlley Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    >> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?
    >>

    >Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
    >Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
    >someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
    >When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
    >anyway.

    It was in the form of XP home but not XP Pro

    Mutlley, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Guest

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    >> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?
    >>

    > Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
    > Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
    > someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
    > When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
    > anyway.

    IIRC you can legally run Win2K as a downgrade to a XP Pro licence.

    EMB, Oct 18, 2007
  11. In message <47170f89$>, EMB wrote:

    > IIRC you can legally run Win2K as a downgrade to a XP Pro licence.

    But not if the XP was itself a downgrade from Vista?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Guest

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <47170f89$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> IIRC you can legally run Win2K as a downgrade to a XP Pro licence.

    > But not if the XP was itself a downgrade from Vista?

    In which case you wouldn't have an XP licence to start with, it'd be a
    Vista licence.

    Squiggle, Oct 18, 2007
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:
    >
    > > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    > Why would you want Win2000?

    Because it is the last before activation etc started. I have also found it
    more stable than xp which I use at work.

    > It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
    > obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

    So is xp slow to start, what is your point?

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <> wrote:
    > > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    > Probably Trade Me is your best bet - although I cant see any on there
    > right now

    I tried there before posting here.
    Microsoft complain about piracy and then make it impossible to buy legal
    versions of their old products.

    > That said if you don't have to have Windows for reasons of software
    > compatibility there are plenty of great Linux distros out there for

    I already use linux, I just use windows for games.
    And all the games I want to play run under 2000.

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  15. Guest

    Squiggle Guest

    wrote:
    > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    If you have no luck finding win2000 licences buy Xp pro licences and use
    the downgrade option to use them with windows 2000.

    Squiggle, Oct 18, 2007
  16. On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <> wrote:
    > Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
    > 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

    What you could do is look for old machines with Win 2000 COA licences
    on them on Trade Me

    Like this old laptop for 80 bucks buy now
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/Compaq/auction-123076161.htm

    That way you get a licence and if you like can then onsell the old
    hardware minus COA to defray the cost. Bit of a hassle but might be
    another option to consider....

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz