    And is there any better and easier means of protecting myself that
    works as effectively as scanreg/restore did in Windows 98?

    , Nov 23, 2005

  2. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>On rare occasions, I've had unexpected problems with my Windows 2000
    |>computer on startup.
    |>
    |>When I had Windows 98, I'd use scanreg/restore to bail me out if
    |>nothing else would when I'd get into those situations, but I know that
    |>option is not available in Win2000.
    |>
    |>So far as I know, the "last known good configuration" option is the
    |>best one to take. But from what I've read, this "last known good
    |>configuration" isn't automatically created; I have to create it. And
    |>using the option when I've been in trouble hasn't worked.
    |>
    |>So how do I create a last known good configuration? How do I use it
    |>when I need to?
    |>
    |>And is there any better and easier means of protecting myself that
    |>works as effectively as scanreg/restore did in Windows 98?

    Use ERUNT http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    It's better than XP's restore, as you can run it from an outside
    application.

    Someone took the time to write up how to use it...
    http://www.pcug.org.au/~boesen/ERUNT/ERUNT.htm

    --
    Hayabusa space probe's asteroid, and shadow
    http://tinyurl.com/8b4c2

    Trax, Nov 23, 2005

  3. sherwindu Guest

    I thought you can use the Emergency Repair Disk with Registry backup to do this task. Check your
    help descriptions of this to make this backup on a floppy disk. I
    can't say this will help if your system is really hosed, but it's easy to do and may work.

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Nov 24, 2005
  4. sherwindu Guest

    I also had the impression that the last working configuration is automatically saved for
    you, and this is useful on booting problems. You can select a restore from your startup
    menu.

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu, Nov 24, 2005

    Emilio Caiulo, Nov 24, 2005