    an application which puts the CPU under a heavy load for about 5-10
    minutes.
    The software runs fine on another system but not the Dell.

    John, Sep 10, 2003

  2. John

    Brian H¹© Guest

    John said:

    > I've got a Windows 2000 Pro machine that hangs or reboots when running
    > an application which puts the CPU under a heavy load for about 5-10
    > minutes.
    > The software runs fine on another system but not the Dell.

    Waht make CPU, what temperature is it reaching?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 10, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    Dell Dimension 100
    not sure the temp its running but after opening system up & feeling
    the cpu heat sink, it wasn't hot at all
    system does this even after booting up first thing in the morning
    seems to be related to the ATI RAge Pro Ultra 128 graphics card with
    32 megs ram on it

    John, Sep 10, 2003
  4. John

    chaz Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Windows 2000 Pro machine that hangs or reboots when running
    > an application which puts the CPU under a heavy load for about 5-10
    > minutes.
    > The software runs fine on another system but not the Dell.

    Any chance the screen saver is cutting in and causing the lockdown?

    I had that happen once.....

    chaz-

    chaz, Sep 11, 2003
  5. John

    PhilGreg Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Dell Dimension 100
    > not sure the temp its running but after opening system up & feeling
    > the cpu heat sink, it wasn't hot at all
    > system does this even after booting up first thing in the morning
    > seems to be related to the ATI RAge Pro Ultra 128 graphics card with
    > 32 megs ram on it

    ==> Update the driver and check the size of the pagefile.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 11, 2003
  6. John

    Win Guest

    "chaz" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > I've got a Windows 2000 Pro machine that hangs or reboots when running
    > > an application which puts the CPU under a heavy load for about 5-10
    > > minutes.
    > > The software runs fine on another system but not the Dell.
    > >

    > Any chance the screen saver is cutting in and causing the lockdown?
    >
    > I had that happen once.....

    Well wait till it happens again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    and again
    then worry about your CPU overheating

    Win, Sep 11, 2003
  7. "John" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Windows 2000 Pro machine ...

    <snip>

    I killfile anyone who uses Windows 2000 Pro.

    Brenadier Jehosephat, Sep 11, 2003
  8. John

    > Guest

    Makes sense, that's why you posted this idiot response in alt.os.windows2000.

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 04:53:22 -0600, "Brenadier Jehosephat"
    <> wrote:

    >I killfile anyone who uses Windows 2000 Pro.

    >, Sep 11, 2003
  9. John

    PhilGreg Guest

    <>> wrote in message
    > Makes sense, that's why you posted this idiot response in

    alt.os.windows2000.

    [snip]

    Methinx he's joking. Happens quite a bit<G>

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 11, 2003
  10. John

    John Guest

    no screensaver being used

    John, Sep 11, 2003
  11. John

    John Guest

    checked the cpu & no it's not overheating

    John, Sep 11, 2003
  12. John

    John Guest

    never thought of the pagefile size - thx - will do that
    yet I suspect it's something else thats going on
    the problem only started after DelI upgraded the video card - they
    thought they could fix a monitor problem - the problem showed up on 2
    completely difefrent computer systems (a green and/or blue shade
    appearing & increasing in pitch size as you looked horizontally from
    left to right)
    - they even tried a different motherboard but decided to leave me with
    the original one after all)
    don't buy a Dell computer unless you want to deal with idiots at Tech
    Support which has been sourced out to some company out in India
    - I'm not knocking India, just the morons doing the tech support there
    makes me wonder how many of them paid a thousand rupies to buy their
    certifications... if you can buy a driver's license readily through
    bribery, why not a CompTIA or MCSE certificate???

    John, Sep 11, 2003
  13. John

    John Guest

    Win 2k is a hell of a lot better than Win 95/98/ME

    John, Sep 11, 2003
  14. John

    PhilGreg Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > never thought of the pagefile size - thx - will do that
    > yet I suspect it's something else thats going on
    > the problem only started after DelI upgraded the video card - they
    > thought they could fix a monitor problem - the problem showed up on

    2
    > completely difefrent computer systems (a green and/or blue shade
    > appearing & increasing in pitch size as you looked horizontally from
    > left to right)
    > - they even tried a different motherboard but decided to leave me

    with
    > the original one after all)
    > don't buy a Dell computer unless you want to deal with idiots at

    Tech
    > Support which has been sourced out to some company out in India
    > - I'm not knocking India, just the morons doing the tech support

    there
    > makes me wonder how many of them paid a thousand rupies to buy their
    > certifications... if you can buy a driver's license readily through
    > bribery, why not a CompTIA or MCSE certificate???

    ==> Now that you gave more details<G>, I doubt it's the pagefile. Can
    you get a different Video card to try in it? That should confirm if
    vid is the culprit.

    I can understand your frustration. It's the main reason I never buy
    propriatery computers but rathe put them together myself or upgrade.
    OTOH, my eldest daughter just bought a Dell and had a prob w/the
    modem. Reseating it solved her prob.

    BTW, Most Tech Support the world over uses a script. They don't
    necessarily know anything they just read<G>

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 12, 2003
  15. John

    PhilGreg Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Win 2k is a hell of a lot better than Win 95/98/ME

    ==> I have 2k Pro and like it, I used the 3 you mention and agree
    w/you about 95 and ME. 98, however, is just different than 2K, has
    fewer options but when run properly and stabilized it's still a good
    system. Once I learned it I had prolly fewer than 2 crashes in its
    last 18 months of use. Only reason i switched is because of dying
    support. Next migration is to Linux<G>

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 12, 2003
  16. John

    > Guest

    Maybe he was joking, but I wasn't. It was an idiot response. :)

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:12:09 -0400, "PhilGreg" <> wrote:

    ><>> wrote in message
    >> Makes sense, that's why you posted this idiot response in

    >alt.os.windows2000.
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >Methinx he's joking. Happens quite a bit<G>

    >, Sep 12, 2003
  17. John

    John Guest

    Thanks.

    I did increase the pagefile anyways as it was due for a size increase.
    Unfortunately I don't have an extra video card on hand. I will try to
    reseat it though but won't be holding my breathe.

    This too is why I don't buy proprietary systems and instead custom
    build them with reliable components.

    John, Sep 12, 2003
  18. OT DON'T FEED THE TROLLS Re: Windows 2000 Hangs / Reboots

    > Maybe he was joking, but I wasn't. It was an idiot response. :)

    OT DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

    --
    Regards

    JTC ^,,^