Windows 2000 Group Policy problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by planetman, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. planetman

    planetman Guest

    Hi

    On our Windows 2000 servers we have tried to set up Group Policy to
    permit the silent installation of unsigned drivers by selecting the
    "Silently Succeed" option. There are supposedly 2 settings you need to
    change as follows:
    Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour = silently succeed
    Unsigned driver installation behaviour = silently succeed

    If you open gpedit.msc on the local server and go to Computer
    Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies |
    Security Options you can see both these policies. However, with the
    "Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour" setting, although it is
    set to Silently Succeed in the local policy, the effective setting is
    "Warn bit allow installation". This I took to mean that another policy
    was overriding the local one. However, if I run GPresult (to check
    which policies are having an effect) and check the policies listed,
    there is not an "Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour" listed -
    just the "Devices - Unsigned driver installation behaviour" policy.
    Also, if I go to My Computer | Properties | Hardware | Driver Signing
    it is already set to 'Ignore..." in there. What can be having this
    effect on the local policy for the "Unsigned non-driver installation
    behaviour" then? It really is a pain as we can't do silent installs of
    certain software packages. Can anyone please help?? Many thanks.

    planetman, Dec 8, 2004

  2. In article <> planetman <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >On our Windows 2000 servers we have tried to set up Group Policy to
    >permit the silent installation of unsigned drivers by selecting the
    >"Silently Succeed" option. There are supposedly 2 settings you need to
    >change as follows:
    >Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour = silently succeed
    >Unsigned driver installation behaviour = silently succeed

    Is this the best that you can do? Never mind. Don't answer that.

    >If you open gpedit.msc on the local server and go to Computer
    >Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies |
    >Security Options you can see both these policies. However, with the
    >"Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour" setting, although it is
    >set to Silently Succeed in the local policy, the effective setting is
    >"Warn bit allow installation". This I took to mean that another policy
    >was overriding the local one. However, if I run GPresult (to check
    >which policies are having an effect) and check the policies listed,
    >there is not an "Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour" listed -
    >just the "Devices - Unsigned driver installation behaviour" policy.
    >Also, if I go to My Computer | Properties | Hardware | Driver Signing
    >it is already set to 'Ignore..." in there. What can be having this
    >effect on the local policy for the "Unsigned non-driver installation
    >behaviour" then? It really is a pain as we can't do silent installs of
    >certain software packages. Can anyone please help?? Many thanks.

    You should go on the road. There are not many who can talk out of
    their bum with such aplomb.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Thanks to everybody who replied especially Lady Chatterly your advise
    was the best" -- Osiris

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 8, 2004

  3. planetman

    why? Guest

    On 8 Dec 2004 08:39:21 -0800, planetman wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >On our Windows 2000 servers we have tried to set up Group Policy to
    >permit the silent installation of unsigned drivers by selecting the
    >"Silently Succeed" option. There are supposedly 2 settings you need to
    >change as follows:
    >Unsigned non-driver installation behaviour = silently succeed
    >Unsigned driver installation behaviour = silently succeed

    <snip>

    You may wish to try the Windows 2000 groups, one of which looks fairly
    on topic for your issue.

    microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy

    The others (that I can see )are,
    microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    microsoft.public.win2000.applications
    microsoft.public.win2000.beta.iis
    microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin
    microsoft.public.win2000.developer
    microsoft.public.win2000.dns
    microsoft.public.win2000.enable
    microsoft.public.win2000.games
    microsoft.public.win2000.general
    microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
    microsoft.public.win2000.multimedia
    microsoft.public.win2000.netware
    microsoft.public.win2000.networking
    microsoft.public.win2000.new_user
    microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing
    microsoft.public.win2000.registry
    microsoft.public.win2000.security
    microsoft.public.win2000.setup
    microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
    microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

    Me

    why?, Dec 8, 2004
  4. planetman

    planetman Guest

    Me - thanks, I've already posted the question in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy group. I just thought it might be
    worth asking here as well.
    Lady Chatterly - thanks for your helpful advice. I'm not quite sure why
    you think I'm talking out of my bum, perhaps you'd like to explain? On
    the other hand, perhaps not. You're obviously the kind of
    intellectually superior person that will make a "humourous" comment if
    you don't think the question is worthy enough, but will not actually
    come forward with any advice or solutions. I'll stick with the proper
    newsgroups. You carry on trolling in your little pond. Bye bye! :)

    planetman, Dec 9, 2004
  5. planetman

    Scrote Guest

    planetman wrote:
    >> Me - thanks, I've already posted the question in the
    >> microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy group. I just thought it might
    >> be worth asking here as well.
    >> Lady Chatterly - thanks for your helpful advice. I'm not quite sure
    >> why you think I'm talking out of my bum, perhaps you'd like to
    >> explain? On the other hand, perhaps not. You're obviously the kind of
    >> intellectually superior person that will make a "humourous" comment
    >> if you don't think the question is worthy enough, but will not
    >> actually come forward with any advice or solutions. I'll stick with
    >> the proper newsgroups. You carry on trolling in your little pond.
    >> Bye bye! :)

    Hint...it's a bot. ;-)
    --
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to convince a woman
    that even a bargain costs money. -- Edgar Watson Howe

    Scrote, Dec 9, 2004
  6. planetman

    planetman Guest

    Scrote wrote:
    > planetman wrote:
    > >> Me - thanks, I've already posted the question in the
    > >> microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy group. I just thought it

    might
    > >> be worth asking here as well.
    > >> Lady Chatterly - thanks for your helpful advice. I'm not quite

    sure
    > >> why you think I'm talking out of my bum, perhaps you'd like to
    > >> explain? On the other hand, perhaps not. You're obviously the kind

    of
    > >> intellectually superior person that will make a "humourous"

    comment
    > >> if you don't think the question is worthy enough, but will not
    > >> actually come forward with any advice or solutions. I'll stick

    with
    > >> the proper newsgroups. You carry on trolling in your little pond.
    > >> Bye bye! :)

    > Hint...it's a bot. ;-)
    > --
    > One of the most difficult things in the world is to convince a woman
    > that even a bargain costs money. -- Edgar Watson Howe

    lol - at least I got rid of some tension! :)

    planetman, Dec 9, 2004
  7. planetman

    planetman Guest

    I managed to find the answer eventually. The setting for non-driver
    installation behaviour could be seen in the Default Domain Policy but
    could not be edited in the usual way as it was not visible. The only
    way to change it was to manually edit the template as in the following
    link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;226243
    This changed the setting to Silently Succeed (changed it to 0 from 1)
    and this had the desired effect.

    planetman, Dec 10, 2004
  8. planetman

    why? Guest

    On 10 Dec 2004 06:35:48 -0800, planetman wrote:

    >I managed to find the answer eventually. The setting for non-driver
    >installation behaviour could be seen in the Default Domain Policy but
    >could not be edited in the usual way as it was not visible. The only

    <snip>

    Thanks for posting the answer.

    Me

    why?, Dec 10, 2004
  9. In article <> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >Me

    What makes you think I do not acknowledge them?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "That BOTS are not humans, and reposting their posts are useless. :)
    Get a clue!" -- -= The NIGHT BOT =-

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 10, 2004