Windows 2000 F-Secure and Kaspersky / No read permissions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by fritz-bayer@web.de, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have toshiba with windows 2000, which is uptodate. When scanning my
    harddisk for viruses using kaspersky the program seems to get stuck,
    when opening a .pst file.

    However, also other files seem to cause the program trouble. The this
    of the outlook archive is for example only 720 kb big.

    Since I was suspicous I also got "f-secure" and scanned the laptop from
    another computer, which is clean and on which all scans path through.

    "F-secure" does not get stuck but in it's log report says: "Cannot open
    file - no read access". Strange.

    So, since I have read somewhere that it could be, that the harddisk is
    unreadable at this file, I used Textpad to open the ".pst" file. That
    works - I get no errors.

    So my question is, why does kaspersky get hung when scanning files and
    why is "f-secure " reporting that no read access is granted, when I can
    open them with Textpad???

    Do you know how I could find bad blocks on my windows parition and how
    to mark them as invalid?

    Desparte Fritz
    , Jan 23, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have toshiba with windows 2000, which is uptodate. When scanning my
    > harddisk for viruses using kaspersky the program seems to get stuck,
    > when opening a .pst file.
    >
    > However, also other files seem to cause the program trouble. The this
    > of the outlook archive is for example only 720 kb big.
    >
    > Since I was suspicous I also got "f-secure" and scanned the laptop from
    > another computer, which is clean and on which all scans path through.
    >
    > "F-secure" does not get stuck but in it's log report says: "Cannot open
    > file - no read access". Strange.
    >
    > So, since I have read somewhere that it could be, that the harddisk is
    > unreadable at this file, I used Textpad to open the ".pst" file. That
    > works - I get no errors.
    >
    > So my question is, why does kaspersky get hung when scanning files and
    > why is "f-secure " reporting that no read access is granted, when I can
    > open them with Textpad???
    >
    > Do you know how I could find bad blocks on my windows parition and how
    > to mark them as invalid?
    >
    > Desparte Fritz

    Hmm... for some reason this sounds familiar. Possibly a patch by
    microsoft to prevent applications from exploiting your email databases
    in an attempt to mass mail? I don't know, but it is a guess, and I know
    I have encountered it before. I googled it and got results...try that.
    Sorry I can't remember more, I just wanted you to know that your not
    alone. Kaspersky has done this to me a couple of times.
    Wheat Muncher, Jan 23, 2005

  3. donnie Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 00:14:52 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have toshiba with windows 2000, which is uptodate. When scanning my
    >harddisk for viruses using kaspersky the program seems to get stuck,
    >when opening a .pst file.
    >
    >However, also other files seem to cause the program trouble. The this
    >of the outlook archive is for example only 720 kb big.
    >
    >Since I was suspicous I also got "f-secure" and scanned the laptop from
    >another computer, which is clean and on which all scans path through.
    >
    >"F-secure" does not get stuck but in it's log report says: "Cannot open
    >file - no read access". Strange.
    >
    >So, since I have read somewhere that it could be, that the harddisk is
    >unreadable at this file, I used Textpad to open the ".pst" file. That
    >works - I get no errors.
    >
    >So my question is, why does kaspersky get hung when scanning files and
    >why is "f-secure " reporting that no read access is granted, when I can
    >open them with Textpad???
    >
    >Do you know how I could find bad blocks on my windows parition and how
    >to mark them as invalid?
    >
    >Desparte Fritz

    ##########################
    A corrupt file doesn't mean that there are bad blocks. If you want to
    check for bad blocks, download the diagnostic tools for that paticular
    HD from the maunfacturer's site. What is the name of the .pst file?
    Is it really needed?
    donnie.
    donnie, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Guest

    Hi Donnie,

    well I know how to handle bad blocks using linux. The thing is I'm not
    sure if it's a bad block.

    I mean I can open the file with a text editor so actually it can't be a
    bad block. Otherwise it could not read the file.

    But kaspersky and f-secure seem to have great problems opening and
    scanning the file contents.
    , Jan 23, 2005
  5. SteveB Guest

    I use F-Secure on XP, no probs so far, but it actually uses the Kaspersky AV
    engine itself (plus 2 others) which might explain the similar problems.

    SteveB, Jan 23, 2005