Windows 2000 exams retirement

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. Hello. I’m writing this e-mail to ask you about my case, being my goal to
    obtain MCSE certification.

    My MS exams history shows that I’ve passed: 70-210, 70-215 and 70-216.

    Also, I’ve already registered for taking 70-218 on August 31st, so if I pass
    it, I gain my MCSA.

    Just yesterday I noticed in the description of the 70-218 exam
    (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-218.mspx) that this one and all
    the other 3 I’ve already passed are going to be retired in March 2008.

    It’s imperative for me to know exactly what will happen with this or what
    are the precise consequences this will bring to my ultimate goal, which is
    the MCSE.

    Let’s assume for the moment that I pass without inconvenience the 70-218
    exam. With this I’d accumulate 4 passed exams and 3 to go for the MCSE.

    Questions:

    01) Will I have to pass all 3 pending exams from September 2007 to March
    2008 to catch up with the deadline?

    02) Even if I get the MCSE Windows 2000 before March 2008 (which would be an
    enormous and unplanned effort), what validity will it have my MCSE Windows
    2000 from that point on if Microsoft is retiring it?

    03) I was wondering: in my current situation (70-210, 70-215 and 70-216
    passed and assuming 70-218 to be passed on August 31st), what would you
    recommend me to do? Can I, for example, have 4 Windows 2000 exams passed and
    the pass 3 Windows 2003 exams, and for that gain MCSE Windows 2003?

    I hope I won’ t lose exams considering the great effort that was for me to
    pass them.

    Thanks so much. Any help will be appreciated.

    Carlos Tapia.
    MCP# 2884801

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Aug 5, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?= <Carlos Ignacio

    > My MS exams history shows that I’ve passed: 70-210, 70-215 and
    > 70-216.
    >
    > Also, I’ve already registered for taking 70-218 on August 31st, so
    > if I pass it, I gain my MCSA.
    >
    > Just yesterday I noticed in the description of the 70-218 exam
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-218.mspx) that this one
    > and all the other 3 I’ve already passed are going to be retired in
    > March 2008.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 01) Will I have to pass all 3 pending exams from September 2007 to
    > March 2008 to catch up with the deadline?
    >
    > 02) Even if I get the MCSE Windows 2000 before March 2008 (which would
    > be an enormous and unplanned effort), what validity will it have my
    > MCSE Windows 2000 from that point on if Microsoft is retiring it?
    >
    > 03) I was wondering: in my current situation (70-210, 70-215 and
    > 70-216 passed and assuming 70-218 to be passed on August 31st), what
    > would you recommend me to do? Can I, for example, have 4 Windows 2000
    > exams passed and the pass 3 Windows 2003 exams, and for that gain MCSE
    > Windows 2003?

    You'll still be certified in Windows 2000. You will need to pass before
    the retirement deadline to get your MCSE. The upgrades from Windows 2000
    to Windows 2003 will also expire in March. If you want to get an MCSE
    Windows 2003 you need to check the requirements. I believe the only exam
    you have already passed that will apply towards 2003 is 210 for your
    client exam. Get busy if you want it.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Aug 5, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    As CatWalker said you will not lose your exams or certifications, you will
    simply not be able to take any of the retired exams.

    My recommendation for your best course of action is to take your 70-218 and
    get your MCSA on Windows 2000. Once you have done that, start studying for
    exam 70-292, which will upgrade your cert to MCSA on Windows Server 2003.
    From there you should continue towards the MCSE on Windows Server 2003.

    Good luck!

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Montreal MCT, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Ok, but let's suppose that I pass 70-218, get my MCSA on Windows 2000, and
    then I pass 70-292 as you recommend me….will I get MCSA on Windows 2003 just
    like anyone who passed 4 purely Windows 2003 exams?

    Will I be able to say that I’m MCSA on Widows 2003? As crystal clear as I
    say it?
    I’m a bit worried about this “MCSA Windows 2000 transformed into MCSA
    Windows 2003†validity.

    Thx so much for your guidance.

    Carlos Tapia.
    MCP# 2884801

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Aug 6, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=
    <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > Ok, but let's suppose that I pass 70-218, get my MCSA on Windows 2000,
    > and then I pass 70-292 as you recommend me, will I get MCSA on
    > Windows 2003 just like anyone who passed 4 purely Windows 2003 exams?
    >
    > Will I be able to say that I'm MCSA on Widows 2003? As crystal clear
    > as I say it?
    > I'm a bit worried about this MCSA Windows 2000 transformed into
    > MCSA Windows 2003 validity.

    Yes you will. That clear. It is just as valid as taking the Windows 2003
    exams. It is a harder exam, however. You will need to be really prepared.

    catwalker63, Aug 6, 2007
  6. Thank you for your answer.

    Now I ask you this: in which way it's harder 70-292 compared to any other
    exam? What preparation do you suggest for it?

    Reading the topics covered,
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.mspx, it doesn't seem so hard
    to me. At least, it doesn't require lots of different topics.

    Is it that people usually ‘suffer’ it?
    I remember that when I was going to take 70-216, everybody told me that it
    was the hardest core exam, but I passed it more easily than 70-215.

    Does 70-292 have a ‘bad’ reputation?

    Thanks again!

    Carlos Tapia.
    MCP# 2884801

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Aug 6, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    1. My signature does not say 'MCSA transformed into anything.' It says MCSA
    on Windows Server 2003. (Ok, it doesn't, but if I did, it would.)
    2. It is absolutely a very difficult exam, no question about it. However it
    is passable. The two resources I used were the MS Press Self-Paced Training
    Kit (along with the included Readiness Review Suite), and the Exam Cram
    book.

    Good luck!

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
    "Carlos Ignacio Tapia" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Montreal MCT, Aug 6, 2007
  8. Similar question

    I recently saw the Microsoft is retiring the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296
    in March of 2008. I still have two more exams to take to get my MCSE +
    Security for 2000 (I'm a bit behind...I know). Anyway, I can take the 298 and
    299 tests (which are actually part of the 2003 track) and get the MCSE, but I
    was wondering if I can take the 292 and 296 first even though I won't really
    have my mcse. Does anyone know if order really matters with the upgrade exams?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmVuTTMzMzU=?=, Aug 7, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    Re: Similar question

    "LaurenM3335" <> wrote in message
    >I recently saw the Microsoft is retiring the upgrade exams 70-292 and
    >70-296
    > in March of 2008. I still have two more exams to take to get my MCSE +
    > Security for 2000 (I'm a bit behind...I know). Anyway, I can take the 298
    > and
    > 299 tests (which are actually part of the 2003 track) and get the MCSE,
    > but I
    > was wondering if I can take the 292 and 296 first even though I won't
    > really
    > have my mcse. Does anyone know if order really matters with the upgrade
    > exams?

    Lauren, I don't have the answer to your question, but I do have a question
    for you.

    R U Hawt?

    Frisbee®, Aug 7, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Re: Similar question

    Hi Lauren,

    You can only take the 70-292 exam if you are an MCSA on Windows 2000, and
    can only take the 70-296 if you are an MCSE on Windows 2000. Sorry!

    Montreal MCT, Aug 7, 2007
  11. Hi there. First of all, thanks for all your helpful replies.

    Let’ suppose a little bit: having 70-210, 70-215 and 70-216 passed, on
    August 31st I pass 70-218. I get my MCSA on Windows 2000.

    Then, as you recommend me, I register for exam 70-292. Let’s say that I’ll
    study so hard that I pass it. I become MCSA on Windows 2003.

    What then???

    I just can´t figure out how many exams will I need from there on to get my
    MCSE on Windows 2003. I just don't undestand the MCSE requirements on this
    page http://www.microsoft.com/Learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx or
    in the exam planner when you have already obtained the MCSA on Windows 2003.
    Can you tell me what would be the pending requirements at this point?

    The situation would be:
    70-210
    70-215
    70-216
    70-218 --> MCSA on Windows 2000
    70-292 --> MCSA on Windows 2003
    ???
    ???
    ???
    ???
    MCSE ON WINDOWS 2003 ! ! ! ! !

    Thanks in advance!!!!

    Carlos Tapia.
    MCP# 2884801

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=, Aug 7, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9zIElnbmFjaW8gVGFwaWE=?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    Once you are MCSA on Windows Server 2003, you will require the following
    exams:

    Core:
    70-293
    70-294

    One Design Elective
    (such as 70-299, 70-298)

    I believe that is all! :)

    Montreal MCT, Aug 7, 2007
  13. Re: Similar question

    Actually, I don't think that's true, Mitch.
    You can take the 292 and 296 exams, but if you don't get your MCSE:2000 by
    March 31, 2008, you will have wasted the exam fees and your time, and if you
    will not get an MCSE:2003 with those exams until you get your MCSE:2000.
    In other words, if you take 292 and 296 first, then the MCSE:2000 exams you
    need, you will get both 2000 and 2003 certifications simultaneously when you
    earn the 2000 certification.
    Perhaps you are thinking about the 648 and 649 betas, which you are not
    supposed to take unless you are a MCSA or MCSE:2003. I don't know if they
    actually block you, however. Prometric doesn't know if you have passed the
    needed exams with Vue, and vice-versa, so there is no way they can stop you
    from signing up for the exam. Perhaps that's one reason Microsoft is going
    with one testing provider next month.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Aug 9, 2007