    how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
    it on .googleing hasnt helped ?

    PEG
    Homeworker, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Homeworker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-09, Homeworker <> wrote:
    > I bought two computers at auction
    > both have windows 2000 pro COA stickers on them
    >
    > Is win2000 licence transferable ?
    >
    > how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
    > it on .googleing hasnt helped ?
    >
    > PEG

    I suspect that if you didn't get the complete operating system and
    installation discs, documentation, etc, with each machine, then the only
    part of the Windows 2000 Pro license that you have, is the sticker. The
    obvious people to approach for information, would seem to be whoever you
    bought the machines from, and Microsoft
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.mspx>.

    A long shot might be to approach whoever built the machines.

    I suspect that you are going to have to acquire new licences and
    installation media for new OSs for both machines, if you want to use them
    as computers. If you aren't welded to Microsoft, I suggest you investigate
    Unix and Linux. <http://distrowatch.com/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Homeworker

    old man Guest

    Buy from Ebay or similar

    old man, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Homeworker

    WhzzKdd Guest

    >I bought two computers at auction
    > both have windows 2000 pro COA stickers on them
    >
    > Is win2000 licence transferable ?
    >
    > how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
    > it on .googleing hasnt helped ?
    >
    > PEG

    From a legal standpoint, you may NOT use that W2K software on any other PC
    if it is an OEM version (the sticker should say so if it is.) I'd put money
    on it being OEM.

    You should go back to the person you bought the computers from and get the
    discs for W2k and anything else that belongs with that computer.

    Or you may get a setup disc from any reliable source, in case you need to
    reinstall that version on THAT computer. Be sure you get the SP4 version if
    possible.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007