    I have tried removing the unnesacary pci boards and have checked the memory
    to no avail.

    Any suggestions on what i could try?

    eunza, Jan 4, 2004

  2. eunza

    Spider Guest

    "eunza" <> wrote in message
    news:n%SJb.77306$...
    > When ever i turn on my computer windows will load all the way then just as
    > the desktop appears (1/2 second) it will crash.
    > I am using windows 2000 and have not previously installed / changed any
    > configurations as i recall
    > I have tried removing the unnesacary pci boards and have checked the

    memory
    > to no avail.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what i could try?

    In the early stages of your bootup, you will see a black screen with a white
    bar going accross the bottom of the screen "starting Windows 2000". Press
    the F8 key when you see that. It should bring up a boot menu. Choose "Safe
    Mode". Be patient as it normally takes awhile for a safe mode boot. Once
    in safe mode, right click on My Computer icon and go to "Properties". Look
    on the Advanced tab. I don't have a W2K system in front of me so I can't
    tell you the mouse clicks from this point. You might see a "Start up and
    Recovery" button on the Advanced tab. If not, Click on Performance and look
    for it there. What you are looking for are some check boxes for what to do
    on system failure. Remove the check from "Automatically Restart". Once you
    do that, restart the PC. Instead of rebooting, what I expect to happen is
    you will see a blue screen with information on it. The first line of the
    blue screen you should see the word "Stop" followed by a number starting
    with 0x--------. The next line should have a
    Phrase_Separated_by_Underscore. You may also see some file name identified
    in this line like something.sys or another.drv. Once you have that
    information you should post it back here so someone can help, or just go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx and search yourself. Hint, if
    you research this yourself, search just the stop code (0x number) by itself
    to start with. Lastly, it would not be unheard of to have the safe mode
    boot resolve your problem and you may not even see the blue screen.

    --
    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 4, 2004

  3. eunza

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:10:49 GMT, "Spider" <>
    wrote:

    >"eunza" <> wrote in message
    >> When ever i turn on my computer windows will load all the way then just as
    >> the desktop appears (1/2 second) it will crash.
    >> I am using windows 2000 and have not previously installed / changed any
    >> configurations as i recall
    >> I have tried removing the unnesacary pci boards and have checked the

    >memory
    >> to no avail.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what i could try?

    >In the early stages of your bootup, you will see a black screen with a white
    >bar going accross the bottom of the screen "starting Windows 2000". Press
    >the F8 key when you see that. It should bring up a boot menu. Choose "Safe
    >Mode". Be patient as it normally takes awhile for a safe mode boot. Once
    >in safe mode, right click on My Computer icon and go to "Properties". Look
    >on the Advanced tab. I don't have a W2K system in front of me so I can't
    >tell you the mouse clicks from this point. You might see a "Start up and
    >Recovery" button on the Advanced tab. If not, Click on Performance and look
    >for it there. What you are looking for are some check boxes for what to do
    >on system failure. Remove the check from "Automatically Restart". Once you
    >do that, restart the PC. Instead of rebooting, what I expect to happen is
    >you will see a blue screen with information on it. The first line of the
    >blue screen you should see the word "Stop" followed by a number starting
    >with 0x--------. The next line should have a
    >Phrase_Separated_by_Underscore. You may also see some file name identified
    >in this line like something.sys or another.drv. Once you have that
    >information you should post it back here so someone can help, or just go to
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx and search yourself. Hint, if
    >you research this yourself, search just the stop code (0x number) by itself
    >to start with. Lastly, it would not be unheard of to have the safe mode
    >boot resolve your problem and you may not even see the blue screen.

    I'll add only one thing to that excellent response.
    Once you get it going again, and are happy with the system, make an
    ERD and keep it updated on a regular basis.

    Harrison, Jan 4, 2004