    is to reinstall (either fresh or an in-place upgrade, neither of which I
    really want to do). Any other suggestions or am I bunkering down for an
    hour of fun?
    Jim Berwick, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Jim Berwick

    Pen Guest

    go to the Microsoft server "msnews.microsoft.com" and
    join the windows 2000 general group. The solution for
    your worm will be found there, just do a find.

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > I have a windows 2000 box in front of me that can not open

    add/remove
    > programs. Nothing happens. I've tried sfc /purgecache

    followed by sfc
    > /scannow. I've tried regsvr32'ing all the appropriate .dll

    files and
    > appwiz.cpl. I have tried directly running

    c:\winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl and
    > nothing happens. From what I can compare of other Win2k

    machines around
    > me, it has the same file versions (.dlls and appwiz.cpl), same

    sizes and
    > dates, etc. From the stuff I gather by googling, the only

    other solution

    Pen, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Jim Berwick

    Thor Guest

    have you tried opening it in safe mode?

    I found this, perhaps something may be helpful.

    http://www.jsiinc.com/subm/tip6000/rh6032.htm

    Also I've read more than a few times now that installing (or reinstalling)
    the latest version of IE may fix it. Also make sure system policies aren't
    set to disable add/remove.

    Thor, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Jim Berwick

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > have you tried opening it in safe mode?

    Yup.

    > I found this, perhaps something may be helpful.
    >
    > http://www.jsiinc.com/subm/tip6000/rh6032.htm
    >
    > Also I've read more than a few times now that installing (or
    > reinstalling) the latest version of IE may fix it. Also make sure
    > system policies aren't set to disable add/remove.

    I did reinstall IE6 to no avail. I happened to notice that mshta.exe was
    not on the computer. I copied it from another Win2k machine and Add/Remove
    works again. So it looks like somehow mshta.exe was deleted.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 12, 2004