Windows 2000 box can't see workgroup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by engwar, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. engwar

    engwar Guest

    I have a home network with two machines, one an XP Pro box and the
    other a Windows 2000 machine.

    After working flawlessly for a long time the machines no longer can
    'see' each other.

    I am able to ping each machine from the other.
    Internet connectivity works for both boxes
    My Tivo box can see shares on the XP Pro box
    My XP Pro box can see the shares on itself but not shares on the 2000
    box.
    The 2000 box can not see shared folders on either itself or the XP
    Pro box.

    If I'm on the 2000 box and I go under My Network Places-->Entire
    Network-->Microsoft Windows Network I can see the name of the
    workgroup but no shares appear under that.

    File and Print Sharing is enabled in my control panel.

    I've rebooted both boxes as well as my router. I've tried changing the
    workgroup name on both boxes.

    Any ideas?

    engwar, Jul 14, 2007

  2. engwar

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:16:41 -0000, engwar <> wrote:

    >I have a home network with two machines, one an XP Pro box and the
    >other a Windows 2000 machine.
    >
    >After working flawlessly for a long time the machines no longer can
    >'see' each other.
    >
    >I am able to ping each machine from the other.
    >Internet connectivity works for both boxes
    >My Tivo box can see shares on the XP Pro box
    >My XP Pro box can see the shares on itself but not shares on the 2000
    >box.
    >The 2000 box can not see shared folders on either itself or the XP
    >Pro box.
    >
    >If I'm on the 2000 box and I go under My Network Places-->Entire
    >Network-->Microsoft Windows Network I can see the name of the
    >workgroup but no shares appear under that.
    >
    >File and Print Sharing is enabled in my control panel.
    >
    >I've rebooted both boxes as well as my router. I've tried changing the
    >workgroup name on both boxes.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Check the invisibility and restrictanonymous settings.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/hiding-your-server-from-enumeration.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/hiding-your-server-from-enumeration.html
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html

    Then look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server",
    and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem.
    Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,