    this OFF? This is my home machine and is not networked. I am running
    windown XP professional.

    Thank you.

    Dean Valente, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Someone here may happen to know the answer, but this is not an XP newsgroup.
    It is a Windows 64-bit newsgroup (Vista x64, Server 2003 x64, IA64
    (Itanium), XP Pro x64, etc.) and the discussion is generally about 64-bit
    topics.

    There are some real XP gurus in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general who can
    steer you through this issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Dean Valente

    Dean Valente Guest

    Thanks Colin.

    Dean Valente, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Dean Valente

    phmilne Guest

    I have a problem with Vista Starter Edition. I am trying to connect a stand
    alone PC to a networked printer but it cannot see the printer. I can ping
    the printer however. I have looked at the firewall, but this is being
    managed by "group policy".
    I have seen, elswehere, mention of (eg) gpedit.msc but that does not appear
    to exist on this PC.
    Is it necessary to upgrade to Home Basic Edition, or is there some other way
    of gaining control of the firewall on this PC?

    phmilne, Nov 21, 2008
  5. Dean Valente

    Dennis Pack Guest

    phmilne:
    From Vista help at
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...4b-3379-4c6c-afa4-d446ae76d14b1033.mspx#EFHAC.
    File and printer sharing: frequently asked questions
    Applies to: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate. Based
    on the help article you would have to upgrade from Vista Starter Edition to
    at least Vista Home Basic.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Nov 21, 2008
  6. Dean Valente

    phmilne Guest

    Many thanks for that. I have trouble finding my way through and around the
    various FAQs, but now I know what is needed.

    phmilne, Nov 22, 2008