Window ME Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Over the last few weeks or so, I have been having problems with win ME.
    Several things are occurring.

    The PC just reboots itself. This is happening most frequently when dialing
    up and connecting to the Internet during or immediately after the handshake.
    This also occurs occasionally at other times whether or not the modem is in
    use.

    The PC will lock up occasionally. When this happens this happens I reboot
    and it usually gets almost done and freezes.

    I have had both occur when the PC is first started and after it has been on
    for a while. I can hear/feel the fan running so I don't believe its an over
    heating issue.

    I can not pinpoint any changes that I have made prior to this occurring.
    The only to installs have been updates to PCcillian, adaware, and spy-bot.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Dave
    Dave, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Dave wrote:
    > Over the last few weeks or so, I have been having problems with win ME.
    > Several things are occurring.
    >
    > The PC just reboots itself. This is happening most frequently when dialing
    > up and connecting to the Internet during or immediately after the handshake.
    > This also occurs occasionally at other times whether or not the modem is in
    > use.
    >
    > The PC will lock up occasionally. When this happens this happens I reboot
    > and it usually gets almost done and freezes.
    >
    > I have had both occur when the PC is first started and after it has been on
    > for a while. I can hear/feel the fan running so I don't believe its an over
    > heating issue.
    >
    > I can not pinpoint any changes that I have made prior to this occurring.
    > The only to installs have been updates to PCcillian, adaware, and spy-bot.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    You need to check for heat problem. The fan,although running may be
    packed full of dust.
    -max
    What's in a Name?, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Dave

    Mellowed Guest

    'what's in a name' gave a good suggestion. I also run Win ME and it is
    temperamental. Keep your system simple and clean. Disable pgm's that
    run in the background. Disable 'automatic' functions. Just remember to
    manually update your programs. 'Mike' has clean up suggestions at his
    web site. http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html. They are
    worth a review. Using Adaware and Spybot are good. I also suggest that
    you install 'Spyware Blaster'. This pgm keeps the bad guys from getting
    installed. Hopefully you are running a firewall. If not, I'm using
    Sygate with no problems.

    Troubleshooting with a clean system will give you a good starting
    reference point.

    :
    Mellowed, Jun 26, 2005