    1
    This isn't really for my case, but none the less...
    I plan to engrave something in plexi, spray paint it black, then redo whatever I previously engraved so that I have a black background. Then to light it I was going to drill holes in the sides of the plexi and put 3mm LEDs in there (if they fit) then I had planned to put the whole thing in a radioshack project box, is there a better way to go about lighting the plexi?
    nickbird, Jan 8, 2006

  2. nickbird

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    you could use EL wire. CCFLs. LEDS just seem to make the Edges stand out, so if thats the effect you want, LEDs are good. put ur mouse on the plexi optical mouses use led's, see what it looks like :)
    unholy, Jan 9, 2006

  3. nickbird

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The best lighting is...

    ...cold cathodes. But I have also used LEDs, except I've only taped them to the edge rather than actually drill the holes to insert the little guys. LEDs do work quite well for highlighting the image within the plexiglass. Are you trying to duplicate the blackout process that Hyperkore does? I'm interested in seeing how your project turns out, so take lots of pictures.:bath:
    bigal, Jan 9, 2006
  4. nickbird

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Why do it that way dude?

    Herre's the best way to do it.

    Paint the plexi black and let it dry then put on a sealing coat, then use a vinyl contact paper over that, like the kind you line shelves with. You can even print the pattern you want to etch right on the stuff if it's not too big. Then etch through that vinyl. If you paint it and then try to re-etch you will never be able to do it right, you won't be able to see where you etched and it'll look wrong.

    Lighting it, if you aren't laser etching then you won't get it to pop the way you're thinking unless it's a very simple design and you etch deep. In that case I'd use hyperlight LEDs in the edges of the plexi.
    The Modfather, Jan 9, 2006
  5. nickbird

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    all i can say is see if u can get us pictures of what u want done, and so forth :)
    unholy, Jan 9, 2006