winamp window fallen off edge of world. How do I get it back?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, May 28, 2005.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
    in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    window back into the middle of my screen?

    pic here

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

    Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
    dialup at the moment.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 28, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    > can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    > drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    > library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
    > in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    > window back into the middle of my screen?

    Position monitor so that you sit squarely in front of it, and using your
    hand or perhaps a ruler, gently tap the right hand side of the monitor. The
    vibration will cause the window to slide downwards. Click on it's title to
    move it when it appears.

    Woger's advice you physically position the monitor's higher will NOT work,
    as any fool can see: doing so will result in your task bar disappearing off
    the bottom of the screen.

    Do NOT shake the monitor as others suggest. This may lodge it even further
    under the bezel of the monitor and require professional repairs.

    Neither should you try ramming your mouse pointer under the bezel with your
    ruler as this may result in BOTH being jammed up there.

    Some people have had success deleting/modifying the winamp.ini (or some
    such) file from the winamp directory. I do not recommend such unlikely
    tactics however.

    --

    .... Brendan

    412248 +(4022)- [X]

    <Locl-Yocl> I helped the EMTs at a car wreck and got blood all over my arms
    and shirt. It looked like I murdered 20 people with a fork... anyway, I
    walked into a convieniance store down the street and said my girlfriend
    needs a tampon. The guy at the counter was mortified.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/05/2005 1:51:39 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 28, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:

    >the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    >can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    >drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    >library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
    >in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    >window back into the middle of my screen?
    >
    >pic here
    >

    >http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
    >
    >Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
    >dialup at the moment.

    Yeh, can't see what you are listening to ;-)

    In Winamp.ini check

    snap=1
    snaplen=10

    You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
    figure.

    Further down there is also

    keeponscreen=1

    Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

    GraB, May 28, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >

    >>the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    >>can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    >>drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    >>library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
    >>in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    >>window back into the middle of my screen?
    >>
    >>pic here
    >>

    >>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
    >>
    >>Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
    >>dialup at the moment.

    >Yeh, can't see what you are listening to ;-)
    >
    >In Winamp.ini check
    >
    >snap=1
    >snaplen=10
    >
    >You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
    >figure.
    >
    >Further down there is also
    >
    >keeponscreen=1
    >
    >Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

    Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

    GraB, May 28, 2005
  5. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:40:35 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    >>>can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    >>>drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    >>>library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
    >>>in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    >>>window back into the middle of my screen?
    >>>
    >>>pic here
    >>>

    >>>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
    >>>dialup at the moment.

    >>Yeh, can't see what you are listening to ;-)
    >>
    >>In Winamp.ini check
    >>
    >>snap=1
    >>snaplen=10
    >>
    >>You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
    >>figure.
    >>
    >>Further down there is also
    >>
    >>keeponscreen=1
    >>
    >>Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

    >Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

    <ALT> S

    GraB, May 28, 2005
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:40:35 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    >>> can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    >>> drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    >>> library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put
    >>> it
    >>> in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    >>> window back into the middle of my screen?
    >>>
    >>> pic here
    >>>

    >>> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
    >>> dialup at the moment.

    >> Yeh, can't see what you are listening to ;-)
    >>
    >> In Winamp.ini check
    >>
    >> snap=1
    >> snaplen=10
    >>
    >> You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
    >> figure.
    >>
    >> Further down there is also
    >>
    >> keeponscreen=1
    >>
    >> Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

    It is/was a 1. Damn computer thinks I should have a 40'' monitor I think.

    > Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

    changing skin fixed it . thanx. never would have thought of that. Oh
    the simplicity
    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 28, 2005
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:05:13 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
    >> can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
    >> drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
    >> library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put
    >> it
    >> in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
    >> window back into the middle of my screen?

    > Position monitor so that you sit squarely in front of it, and using your
    > hand or perhaps a ruler, gently tap the right hand side of the monitor.
    > The
    > vibration will cause the window to slide downwards. Click on it's title
    > move it when it appears.

    I figured out how to repair it. After many searches i found lots of info
    that said not to run it under windows so I moved my entire computer to the
    middle of the room and that fixed the problem.

    > Woger's advice you physically position the monitor's higher will NOT
    > work,
    > as any fool can see: doing so will result in your task bar disappearing
    > off
    > the bottom of the screen.

    I don't see Wogers posts at the moment. I am just a little busy for a
    crapTM lesson.

    > Do NOT shake the monitor as others suggest. This may lodge it even
    > further
    > under the bezel of the monitor and require professional repairs.

    I already did shake the monitor but I found a good professional in the
    paper under "candy". Fortunately the above approach fixed my problem.

    > Neither should you try ramming your mouse pointer under the bezel with
    > your
    > ruler as this may result in BOTH being jammed up there.
    >
    > Some people have had success deleting/modifying the winamp.ini (or some
    > such) file from the winamp directory. I do not recommend such unlikely
    > tactics however.

    tried modifying ini but had trouble finding exact settings and made things
    worse!

    BTW.. If you never saw my other post.. changing skin fixed problem.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 28, 2005
  8. cowboyz

    Mark C Guest

    cowboyz <> wrote in news:eek:p.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:

    > How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
    > pic here
    > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

    Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
    keyboard:

    - Make the window active (it has the focus)
    - Alt+SpaceBar
    - M (Move)
    - Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
    - Press Enter to stop moving

    Cheers,
    Mark

    Mark C, May 29, 2005
  9. cowboyz

    Ron McNulty Guest

    There is a general fix to this. I have had Word do it to me, and I
    occasionally end up with programs running on the second monitor of my
    laptop, but no monitor is connected.

    1) Use <Alt><Tab> to put the focus on the errant application.
    2) Press <Alt><Spacebar> to open the system menu
    3) Press M to select move.
    4) Use the arrow keys to move the window.

    It the app is running maximised on a second monitor, you might need to
    repeat step 2, then R to restore it as a movable window.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 29, 2005
  10. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > cowboyz <> wrote in news:eek:p.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:
    >
    >> How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
    >> pic here
    >> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

    > Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
    > keyboard:
    >
    > - Make the window active (it has the focus)
    > - Alt+SpaceBar
    > - M (Move)
    > - Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
    > - Press Enter to stop moving

    Cool, that works. :) Thanks, I'll *try* to remember it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2005
  11. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    <snip>

    > pic here

    <snip>

    S'cuse my ignorance but how does one take a screenshot? Windows help is of
    absolutely no use.

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2005
  12. cowboyz

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:37:52 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> pic here

    > <snip>
    >
    > S'cuse my ignorance but how does one take a screenshot? Windows help is of
    > absolutely no use.
    >
    > Thanks,

    hit the print screen button, and then paste it to something like paint was
    how I used to do it

    Shane, May 29, 2005
  13. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:39:18 +1200, Mark C <>
    wrote:

    > cowboyz <> wrote in news:eek:p.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:
    >
    >> How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
    >> pic here
    >> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

    > Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
    > keyboard:
    >
    > - Make the window active (it has the focus)
    > - Alt+SpaceBar
    > - M (Move)
    > - Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
    > - Press Enter to stop moving
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    this method works for all windows except winamp (or at least my one)
    FIIK.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 29, 2005
  14. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:44:24 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:37:52 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> pic here

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> S'cuse my ignorance but how does one take a screenshot? Windows help is
    >> of
    >> absolutely no use.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > hit the print screen button, and then paste it to something like paint
    > was
    > how I used to do it

    yep,. those 3 buttons above insert/home/pigup actually do something. I
    paste to paint on this occasion but remember to save to jpg instead of the
    default bmp format for us guys on dialup.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 29, 2005
  15. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:43:15 +1200, Ron McNulty <>
    wrote:

    > There is a general fix to this. I have had Word do it to me, and I
    > occasionally end up with programs running on the second monitor of my
    > laptop, but no monitor is connected.
    >
    > 1) Use <Alt><Tab> to put the focus on the errant application.
    > 2) Press <Alt><Spacebar> to open the system menu
    > 3) Press M to select move.
    > 4) Use the arrow keys to move the window.
    >
    > It the app is running maximised on a second monitor, you might need to
    > repeat step 2, then R to restore it as a movable window.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron

    yep. works for every app except winamp. I think is is because I am
    dealing with winamps daughter windows rather than the app itself so
    windows doesn't know where the windows are.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, May 29, 2005
  16. cowboyz

    Ron McNulty Guest

    You are dead correct. Winamp has removed the system menu, so it can't be
    controlled from keyboard commands on that menu.

    In contrast, Windows Media Player presents a similar "prettyfied" window as
    its main window. But <alt> <space> shocks it into looking far more normal,
    and produces a system menu.

    Just shows the odd side-effects of ignoring standards.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 29, 2005
  17. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:44:24 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:37:52 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> cowboyz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> S'cuse my ignorance but how does one take a screenshot? Windows
    >>> help is of
    >>> absolutely no use.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> hit the print screen button, and then paste it to something like
    >> paint was
    >> how I used to do it
    >>

    > yep,. those 3 buttons above insert/home/pigup actually do
    > something.

    LOL, I know, I use the <Print Scrn> all the time playing Diablo 2 and then
    upload the pic to a website for interested parties. When you do that
    p[laying D2 in just puts a jpeg in your D2 folder and gives it a number just
    after the last one (I have nearly 300 in there, must clean some out). I was
    hitting print scrren in windows, then looking in the temp file etc. for
    where ot would be stored.

    Duh!

    > I paste to paint on this occasion but remember to save to
    > jpg instead of the default bmp format for us guys on dialup.

    Oh yeah. Thanks to both you and Shane.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2005
  18. cowboyz

    MarkH Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in news:42990125$0$18177$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    > cowboyz <> wrote in news:eek:p.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:
    >
    >> How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
    >> pic here
    >> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

    > Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
    > keyboard:
    >
    > - Make the window active (it has the focus)
    > - Alt+SpaceBar
    > - M (Move)
    > - Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
    > - Press Enter to stop moving

    I was going to post that, but first checked Winamp (didn't want to make a
    fool of myself) and found that the Alt+Spacebar did nothing. Damn, it
    works with every other window!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 29, 2005
  19. cowboyz

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:54:35 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > I figured out how to repair it. After many searches i found lots of info
    > that said not to run it under windows so I moved my entire computer to the
    > middle of the room and that fixed the problem.

    Oh, good. That's some real innovation there :)

    > I don't see Wogers posts at the moment. I am just a little busy for a
    > crapTM lesson.

    He probably kill filed it with one of his anti teenager filters.

    > BTW.. If you never saw my other post.. changing skin fixed problem.

    Reckless...

    --

    .... Brendan

    368808 +(4137)- [X]

    <@David> Yay I get laid today! Been a month.... needing it by now
    <@Sony> ...........
    <@Sony> TMI TMI TMI
    <@David> Only a few hundred pounds but its better than nothing
    <Malpine> Thanks for the info
    <@David> eh?
    <@David> damn i meant PAID
    <@David> I get PAID today
    <@David> dammit

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/06/2005 12:51:01 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 31, 2005
  20. cowboyz

    Soylent17

    Joined:
    May 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Solution

    I know this thread is very old, but it still comes up high on Google's results, so I thought I'd post the solution I found.

    Winamp stores window settings in the studio.xnf file under your winamp profile. In Windows 7, this is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\studio.xnf

    Close Winamp.
    Open studio.xnf in Notepad or a similar text editor.
    Find the following xml (replace "Bento" with your active skin name):
    HTML:
    <entry name="Bento_nomax_x" value="1770" />
    <entry name="Bento_nomax_y" value="-187" />
    Change the negative value(s) to something like 10.
    Save the file.
    When you reopen Winamp, it should be fixed! :congrats:

    See here for more info: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=164598

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Soylent17, May 30, 2012