    Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

    Patrick
    Rudy Von Tschudi, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Hi Patrick

    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

    The key advantage is that XP is happy to gobble up as much RAM
    as you throw at it. Win98 systems puke around 768 MB and above.
    Photoshop loves running on an XP system with 1.5 GB of RAM.

    Other advantages are increased system stability, better peripheral
    device support, and easier networking.

    Also: the best way to move a system to XP is to disable
    the existing hard drive temporarily, install XP on a new hard drive,
    then re-enable the old hard drive and re-install your apps. Reason
    for this is that on non-trivial systems an XP upgrade over Win 9x
    tends to fail outright or makes an ugly hash of the Windows registry;
    best to give XP a nice clean fresh start.

    Stan

    Stan
    Stanley Krute, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Rudy Von Tschudi

    John Horner Guest

    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

    more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    > Patrick

    Absolutely. XP never has the "insufficient resources" problem which so
    easily plagues Win98 machines for just one example. XP is a much more
    robust OS in my experience.

    John
    John Horner, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Mark M Guest

    "Rudy Von Tschudi" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

    more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

    I've had XP on my system since upgrading to it when XP was released.
    In that time I have had exactly 2 (two) crashes where I've had to do a
    reset.
    That it...in how ever many months/years since XP came out.
    This is with Photoshop, Office, and a (nearly) literal million other
    demanding programs, and a full 25 external devices connected via firewire,
    SCSI, PCMCIA (it's a laptop in a docking station), USB 1.0, USB 2.0,
    parallel, serial, networking, and every other imaginable device.

    The stability and memory handling of XP is so far above 98/98SE/Me it's not
    even funny.
    BTW--At work I run and personally use/maintain 11 98SE machines in my
    office, and support 140 others all running 98SE. Believe me when I say you
    would do well to move to XP.

    Oh...And did I say I prefer XP??
    :)
    Mark M, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Very significant as others have no doubt pointed out. However, unless you
    have 2 hard drives you still will suffer from the old Photoshop/Windows
    scratch disk problem - no matter what the OS. Get a second hard drive and
    set Photoshop to use that as the scratch and you will speed up the program
    greatly.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <E0Azb.27555$>,
    says...
    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    > Patrick

    XP is light years ahead of Win98 in all areas. After 20 years, MS
    finally got an OS right (well, as right as they can get it.) Don't even
    think about the upgrade -- just do it.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rudy Von Tschudi wrote:

    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    > Patrick

    Absolutely! WinXP does not suffer from the limited resource heaps of
    Win9x releases. It is also markedly more stable, and has vastly better
    memory management facilities, handles larger disk partitions, and larger
    ram sizes better. It is superior in every respect, and has some nice
    features regarding handling of images, and maintaining them on your disk.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:31:07 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    > Very significant as others have no doubt pointed out. However, unless you
    >have 2 hard drives you still will suffer from the old Photoshop/Windows
    >scratch disk problem - no matter what the OS. Get a second hard drive and
    >set Photoshop to use that as the scratch and you will speed up the program
    >greatly.

    Please explain. Yeah, I've got two hard drives (on WIn2K)
    but never told Photoshop about them. What's the alleged
    symptom here?

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Dec 4, 2003
  9. Yes, Upgrade to XP. XP does not suffer the 64k limit on near heap resources that 98 does. So you can
    open as many windows that contain lots of controls(buttons list boxes, etc) and you wont exhaust the
    GUI resources, at least for the near future.

    Cheers

    Martin Riddle, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Bob Shomler Guest

    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?

    Also note that the current Photoshop release (CS aka Photoshop 8) runs
    on XP, will not run on win98se.

    Bob Shomler
    Bob Shomler, Dec 4, 2003
  11. In PS, go to the edit menu, choose preferences, then choose
    plug-in's/scratch disk. Set photo shop to use the disk that is not your
    startup disk.

    grabrick.george, Dec 4, 2003
  12. "Rudy Von Tschudi" <> wrote:
    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98

    1. Get XP
    2. Do NOT 'upgrade' your Win98, install XP from scratch. If you buy an
    'upgrade' CD, simply start a new installation from it and it will ask to
    see your old (Win98) CD. Put it in the CD, XP setup will see it and
    proceed. You will have to back up your files, or add another HD to
    do it this way. You need to back up your files anyway. I prefer to
    buy 'OEM' versions of the OS (what you would get with a locally
    assembled PC). They are about the same price as an upgrade, and you
    can install it on any PC without having a previous version of Windows.
    3. XP uses *AT LEAST* 1GB of HD space just to install.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
    Judson McClendon, Dec 4, 2003
  13. "Rudy Von Tschudi" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new,

    more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    > Patrick

    Experience had taught me to distrust MS' claims about new version of
    Windows. But then I got a new computer with Win XP. It really is is
    better. And it comes with built in functions for photographers. For
    example, you can view a slide show of all, or selected, photo files in a
    folder.
    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 4, 2003
  14. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Alan Browne Guest

    Rudy Von Tschudi wrote:

    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    > powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    > resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    > Patrick

    Patrick -or- Rudy Von Tschudi?? a troll perhaps?

    IAC: Win98 does not manage memory well enough. As Tony S. says, two
    hard disks is a good idea to avoid painful swaps. Work files on one
    disk, PS work files on the other. FAT32 for the PS work file disk as it
    is faster than the new NTFS format.

    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Randy Rhine Guest

    Ok...now that we've heard about how much better XP is than Win98...what about XP
    vs Win2k?

    I've been runing Win98 for years and years and yesterday bought all the componnts
    for a new system. I was going to clone my Win98 disk and then install Win2k over
    it. But..based on all your comments, I'd probably be better off with a clean
    install of Win2k, and then reinstall all my apps. Is there a compelling reason to
    go with XP instead of 2K?

    If it makes any difference, all the other PC's on my home network are Win2k...I'm
    the last holdout.

    thanks,

    rr

    Randy Rhine, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Photoshop and Windows fight over and bop back and forth using the scratch
    disc when both are on the same one. It can take a long time (in computer
    thinking a long time tends to be several seconds - but on really big files
    there are times when I've waited more than a minute) waiting while the
    computer futzes about doing "housekeeping". By putting Photoshops scratch
    disc on a second hard drive the two no longer get into the arguments about
    who goes first and who is more important.

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 4, 2003
  17. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Rick Guest

    "Randy Rhine" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Ok...now that we've heard about how much better XP is than Win98...what about XP
    > vs Win2k?
    >
    > I've been runing Win98 for years and years and yesterday bought all the componnts
    > for a new system. I was going to clone my Win98 disk and then install Win2k over
    > it. But..based on all your comments, I'd probably be better off with a clean
    > install of Win2k, and then reinstall all my apps. Is there a compelling reason to
    > go with XP instead of 2K?

    No. There are only two reasons to use XP over 2K -- if you're
    running a dual hyperthreaded cpu system (Win2K cannot tell the
    difference between physical and logical processors, and will only
    use 2 of the logical 4 cpus), and the other is ClearType (if you're
    using LCD monitors, it might be worth upgrading). Otherwise
    don't bother -- Win2K is the same OS without the same bloat
    (and without product activation, which is a pain in the ass when
    changing or upgrading hardware).

    > If it makes any difference, all the other PC's on my home network are Win2k...I'm
    > the last holdout.

    There's only a few months difference between Microsoft's
    end-of-life support schedule for Win2K and XP. It's not worth
    the upgrade cost.

    Rick
    Rick, Dec 4, 2003
  18. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Colyn Guest

    It was on this day Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:56:52 GMT, "Rudy Von Tschudi"
    <> pecked out these words:

    >I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    >powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    >Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    >resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >

    >Patrick

    If you want to upgrade, you should give Win 2k a look.. I found it to
    be better than XP mainly because it doesn't eat memory like XP..

    Colyn

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com
    http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.html
    http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.html
    Colyn, Dec 4, 2003
  19. "Rudy Von Tschudi" <> wrote in

    > I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a
    > new, more powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >
    > Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with
    > respect to resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over
    > Win98?

    By the way you can go to the MS site and get an evaluation of your
    current hardware/drivers and software that will tell you where you may
    have conflicts so you can prepare.
    Mike Latondresse, Dec 4, 2003
  20. Rudy Von Tschudi

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Rhine wrote:
    > Ok...now that we've heard about how much better XP is than Win98...what about XP
    > vs Win2k?
    >
    > I've been runing Win98 for years and years and yesterday bought all the componnts
    > for a new system. I was going to clone my Win98 disk and then install Win2k over
    > it. But..based on all your comments, I'd probably be better off with a clean
    > install of Win2k, and then reinstall all my apps. Is there a compelling reason to
    > go with XP instead of 2K?
    >
    > If it makes any difference, all the other PC's on my home network are Win2k...I'm
    > the last holdout.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > rr
    >

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >

    >>Rudy Von Tschudi wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an old computer with Win98se. Thinking of upgrading to a new, more
    >>>powerful computer. All the new computers have XP.
    >>>
    >>>Does XP offer any significant advantages, particularly with respect to
    >>>resource intensive apps like PhotoShop, etc, over Win98?
    >>>

    >>>Patrick

    >>Patrick -or- Rudy Von Tschudi?? a troll perhaps?
    >>
    >>IAC: Win98 does not manage memory well enough. As Tony S. says, two
    >>hard disks is a good idea to avoid painful swaps. Work files on one
    >>disk, PS work files on the other. FAT32 for the PS work file disk as it
    >>is faster than the new NTFS format.
    >>
    >>Alan.
    >>
    >>--
    >>e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Win2K is Windows 5.0. WinXP is Windows 5.1. One of the better features
    XP adds is the prefetch cache which greatly speeds program loading after
    the first load for a session. This feature alone is enough to justify
    buying XP.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 5, 2003