    Which programs (downloadable hopefully) would help to diagnose what's
    wrong and possibly speed up his system?

    Thanks...
    Tony Cianfaglione, May 24, 2004

  2. Tony Cianfaglione

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Tony Cianfaglione" <> wrote in message
    news:p...

    > A friend asked me to look at his Compaq Celeron II 600 mHz running Win98SE
    > with 512mb ram, 2 - 20mb hds and cd burner. His screen only has about 15
    > icons and his second hd is almost empty. There doesn't seem to be that
    > much starting up other than McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall.
    >
    > It's currently running a lot slower than my P120 with 32mb ram.
    >
    > Which programs (downloadable hopefully) would help to diagnose what's
    > wrong and possibly speed up his system?
    >
    > Thanks...

    Go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the tests.
    It will offer solutions to problems and speedfixes.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.
    one_red_eye, May 24, 2004

  3. Tony Cianfaglione

    Boomer Guest

    Tony Cianfaglione <> wrote:

    > A friend asked me to look at his Compaq Celeron II 600 mHz
    > running Win98SE with 512mb ram, 2 - 20mb hds and cd burner. His
    > screen only has about 15 icons and his second hd is almost
    > empty. There doesn't seem to be that much starting up other
    > than McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall.
    >
    > It's currently running a lot slower than my P120 with 32mb ram.
    >
    > Which programs (downloadable hopefully) would help to diagnose
    > what's wrong and possibly speed up his system?
    >
    > Thanks...

    °Mike°'s
    Basic computer maintenance page:

    °Mike°'s defrag page:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html

    HTH
    Boomer, May 24, 2004
  4. Tony Cianfaglione

    koorb Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:20:59 -0300, Tony Cianfaglione
    <> wrote:

    >A friend asked me to look at his Compaq Celeron II 600 mHz running Win98SE
    >with 512mb ram, 2 - 20mb hds and cd burner. His screen only has about 15
    >icons and his second hd is almost empty. There doesn't seem to be that
    >much starting up other than McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall.
    >
    >It's currently running a lot slower than my P120 with 32mb ram.
    >
    >Which programs (downloadable hopefully) would help to diagnose what's
    >wrong and possibly speed up his system?
    >
    >Thanks...

    McAfee has been known to conflict with some systems so I would try
    disabling that. If that sorts everything out then I suggest your
    friend find a cheaper, but much better AV.
    koorb, May 25, 2004
  5. Tony Cianfaglione

    Ron Martell Guest

    Tony Cianfaglione <> wrote:

    >A friend asked me to look at his Compaq Celeron II 600 mHz running Win98SE
    >with 512mb ram, 2 - 20mb hds and cd burner. His screen only has about 15
    >icons and his second hd is almost empty. There doesn't seem to be that
    >much starting up other than McAfee AntiVirus and Firewall.
    >
    >It's currently running a lot slower than my P120 with 32mb ram.
    >
    >Which programs (downloadable hopefully) would help to diagnose what's
    >wrong and possibly speed up his system?
    >
    >Thanks...

    McAfee is known for having the "who dropped the anchor?" effect on
    computer performance.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 25, 2004
  6. Thanks to all who replied.

    I'll be checking out all your suggestions.
    Tony Cianfaglione, May 25, 2004