Win98se repair help required.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Win98se repair help required.

    I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
    the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
    shutting down Win98se.

    The laptop had no battery.

    The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
    screen is stuck on 640x480x16.

    He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
    that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
    in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.

    Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
    difficult.

    To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
    Win98se.

    Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
    language.
    I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
    English.

    I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
    Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
    MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.

    Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

    Gordy, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Gordy

    Invisible Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, (Gordy) wrote:

    >To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
    >Win98se.

    There might be a directory on the HD with the installation cab files, generally
    \windows\options\cabs.

    Invisible, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Gordy

    GraB Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, (Gordy) wrote:

    >Win98se repair help required.
    >
    >I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
    >the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
    >shutting down Win98se.
    >
    >The laptop had no battery.
    >
    >The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
    >screen is stuck on 640x480x16.
    >
    >He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
    >that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
    >in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.
    >
    >Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
    >difficult.
    >
    >To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
    >Win98se.
    >
    >Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
    >language.
    >I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
    >English.
    >
    >I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
    >Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
    >MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.
    >
    >Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

    System File Checker might work

    Start / Run / sfc.exe

    GraB, Oct 6, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp
    on 5 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0700, Gordy <> says...
    > Win98se repair help required.
    >
    > I have a Czech student staying at my place who acidentaly turned off
    > the power to his Laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1620CDS) while it was
    > shutting down Win98se.
    >
    > The laptop had no battery.
    >
    > The Laptop now has no eraserhead mouse or external mouse and the
    > screen is stuck on 640x480x16.
    >
    > He reported that the initial reboot after the accident, Win98se said
    > that some .INI files could not be found. There are about 6 extra files
    > in the root directory which appear to be saved files from scandisk.
    >
    > Some programs are functioning but navigation by the keyboard is very
    > difficult.
    >
    > To make matters worse he has no original disks with him to help repair
    > Win98se.
    >
    > Even worse still (for me) Win98se is all presented in the Czech
    > language.
    > I haven't tried to see if Win98 can be switched temporarily to
    > English.
    >
    > I have run scandisk and MS-Regclean.
    > Norton Utils Windoctor will not run.
    > MS Win Update online (English version) will not run.
    >
    > Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

    Reformat and reinstall. I have seen this once, hit reset while the disk
    was being written resulting in corrupted directory structure on the disk.
    Only one way of fixing it.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Gordy

    Rick Ward Guest

    got a spare usb slot? plug in an external mouse (or even a serial mouse if
    you have a free port)...

    Rick Ward, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Thanks Invisble,

    The shutdown crash seems to have been the tip of the iceberg.

    All is recovered now using setup from \windows\options\cabs\

    Before that I removed a trojan and 31 spyware items.
    Then updated his anti virus and spyware detector.
    Then un-installed the mouse and video drivers and let Windows re-install these.
    Then I updated his Windows.
    Hope to backup his system to CDs this weekend.
    Time spent so far is about 12 hours :(

    Gordy, Oct 7, 2004